Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Coming soon.....

...to North America?

Quote:
China’s electric car start-up Nio has launched its first EV, the ES8. The electric SUV is offered with battery swap option and Nio also wants to run vans as mobile power banks when an EV ran out of juice.

https://www.electrive.com/2017/12/19...arging-option/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/in-chin...le-60-minutes/
rfernatt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,761 Times in 868 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Yep, NIO will be one to watch. But, like Faraday Future and Lucid and Rivian and the host of other startups, we'll see what they can actually do. Tesla is still smarting from the growing pains of actually producing a high volume of EVs AND having a cost effective, high quality battery supply to go along with that production not to mention actual distribution and service of those EVs around the world. No small feat for anyone. Most will fail at some point, but my hat's off to those who are trying. If Rivian can get it right and has a reasonable battery supply available to them, they could be especially interesting starting with SUV and truck offerings.

I actually think one or more of these startups may pose more of a Tesla threat than the incumbent auto industry who is too mired in their ICE investments (factories, patents, equipment, trained engineers, etc.) that they can't easily or quickly modify without doing significant investor harm. It will come down to how fast the transition happens. If it's iPhone like, then that will be tough for the incumbents. If it's a more leisurely transition, then they might be able to handle the transition more gracefully phasing out older plants while spinning up new EV production that doesn't decimate their ICE portfolio.

Don't forget that Chinese Kandi was approved for US sales as well:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/20/chin...to-the-us.html
jwight likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:32 PM

Thanked 1,073 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Garage
Chinese car? No thanks. I don't even like Huawei.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Fifty years ago people were saying that about Japanese cars....
rfernatt and MikeB1 like this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Garage
I have no doubt that the Chinese can build quality products. Anything can be built to a price and that shows in the product no matter where it's built.

I worry more that at least some of the lower costs are because of environmental trade offs, but China seems to be taking more care in that area. Still a long way to go, however. The US may be better, but it's not like we haven't done similar things in the past that are still catching up with us today:

Want cheap energy yesterday? No problem. Just pay $5 billion for clean up today after spilling toxic heavy metals in a river from coal ash waste.
Coal ash cleanup could cost Duke?s N.C. customers $5 billion - Institute for Energy Economics & Financial Analysis : Institute for Energy Economics & Financial Analysis
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,647 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Fifty years ago people were saying that about Japanese cars....
Or South Korea two decades ago. Now people actually cross shop Hyundai and Kia other brands for more than just price.

Chinese manufacturing is now definitely on the level where it can challenge the west and any company who doesn't take them seriously may one day find themselves outmatched.

However, China has a unique problem where they can have hundreds of companies building the same thing and not all of them doing it with the same quality. So while my CF Moto 250cc scooter moves along just fine and is pretty reliable in doing it, someone else with a competing Chinese brand may not be as lucky.

On topic: My dream Tesla is still an electric blue Roadster. I'm impressed with how well Teslas hold their value. They don't seem to have normal car depreciation or tech depreciation. It's kinda fascinating.
jwight, rfernatt and MikeB1 like this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
On topic: My dream Tesla is still an electric blue Roadster. I'm impressed with how well Teslas hold their value. They don't seem to have normal car depreciation or tech depreciation. It's kinda fascinating.
I saw my first Roadster at an event this past summer. I had no idea they were so small! Makes a smart look huge on the inside. Of course, the smart passenger room was always good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode