post #11 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwW12 View Post
One looks at the Fiat 500 and smart ForTwo sales combined and it's obvious that the market prefers larger vehicles... the Corolla alone sells five times more!
Well, from a practical standpoint, if you have a family, a bigger car simply makes more sense. Even if you are a two-car family, then there are too many times either or both of the cars need to seat more than 2 people. Folks that are single, retired, or who just have a LOT of cars it's no big deal to collect a car like the smart for fun (or a Miata or whatever). Additionally many of the 4-seaters don't get THAT much worse gas mileage, so although the smart is fun/stylish, it will never replace the likes of a Corolla, or even a Yaris or FIAT 500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,630 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, at least we murdered the 2012 Beetle!

(beats me why it's in there when they only started delivering them at the end of August).
post #13 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcar111 View Post
The smart sucked some wind in August as compared with the other small cars (not as small as our smart), but obviously, those other cars had more marketing backup on August. Let's see what Septembers numbers look like after this TV commercial and new marketing strategy.

You can't sell what you don't have. As has been stated before, MBUSA is trying to clear house on '11 model year smarts. They want them all gone before the 2012's arrive. They are expecting poor sales through the middle of October. Most dealers won't have a decent selection of 2012's until the end of October. Don't expect a big sales increase right away. I'll be curious to see the sales figures next year. That will be something to compare.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
The Honda Civic, isn't really a small car anymore. It's as big as our old 98 Accord. Small is getting bigger

I really don't think the new smart commercials, are going to sell cars.
I tend to agree with you smark. Nothing I have seen in their new uncar campaign would move me to buy a smartie. I am hoping that the advertisements are going to get better and illustrate the main benefits of ownership i.e. safety, economy and fun.

Besides, I don't get the whole uncar concept. An un-*anything* is generally just the opposite. For example the UnCOLA was 7 up, which is not a cola. doh! Therefore, an uncar would be a bicycle or skateboard or something that isn't a car. I don't get where you can call a smart (which is, a car) an un-car. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

donsgal
post #15 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrayandersen View Post
Well, from a practical standpoint, if you have a family, a bigger car simply makes more sense. Even if you are a two-car family, then there are too many times either or both of the cars need to seat more than 2 people. Folks that are single, retired, or who just have a LOT of cars it's no big deal to collect a car like the smart for fun (or a Miata or whatever). Additionally many of the 4-seaters don't get THAT much worse gas mileage, so although the smart is fun/stylish, it will never replace the likes of a Corolla, or even a Yaris or FIAT 500.
Excuse me Kennyrayandersen, I take exception with your terminology here. Two people are a family. It is not necessary to have proven your ability to reproduce to be considered a family. What you should have said was: "...from a practical standpoint, if you have children (i.e. anklebiters, rugrats, flesh loafs, crib lizards, screechlings, etc.,) a bigger car simply makes more sense..."

Considering that STATISTICALLY the more intelligent and educated you are, the more likely you are to be childfree, *and* considering the fact that childfree people have a significantly higher level of discretionary income, many of us opt to purchase high-end two-seaters such as the BMW Z4 M Coupe, or the Porche Boxter or even the Cadillac XLR. Therefore, your assessment of the childed preferring large cars is correct, but there remains a SIGNIFICANT and substantial market for the two-seater *if* you market the car to the right audience.

Family indeed.

20yrsinBranson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donsgal For This Useful Post:
a2jack (09-26-2011), Kermit (09-26-2011), Miss Mercedes (09-27-2011)
post #16 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
donsgal,

I'm SURE NO offense was meant by kenny....... please, take a deep breath and take on of these

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chieftmc For This Useful Post:
kennyrayandersen (09-26-2011), vwW12 (11-20-2011)
post #17 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsgal View Post
Excuse me Kennyrayandersen, I take exception with your terminology here. Two people are a family. It is not necessary to have proven your ability to reproduce to be considered a family. What you should have said was: "...from a practical standpoint, if you have children (i.e. anklebiters, rugrats, flesh loafs, crib lizards, screechlings, etc.,) a bigger car simply makes more sense..."

Considering that STATISTICALLY the more intelligent and educated you are, the more likely you are to be childfree, *and* considering the fact that childfree people have a significantly higher level of discretionary income, many of us opt to purchase high-end two-seaters such as the BMW Z4 M Coupe, or the Porche Boxter or even the Cadillac XLR. Therefore, your assessment of the childed preferring large cars is correct, but there remains a SIGNIFICANT and substantial market for the two-seater *if* you market the car to the right audience.

Family indeed.

20yrsinBranson
yeah, my post was really an underhanded jap at childless people sarcasm button off

but now that you mention it. The last people that should have kids are people that don't want them. Considering your verbiage to describe children, I'm confident you did the right thing. You do bring up an interesting point though, and that is: the people most capable both with regard to resource and ability are having less children, and people [generally] what ain't got the two sticks to rub together are having a gaggle of them.... something messed up and a little backward there (ref Bell Curve).

The smart would sill not be considered a family car in the traditional sense, and CERTAINLY there was no offence intended toward the childless family.

Not to worry I had enough kids to replace you and yours
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyrayandersen For This Useful Post:
vwW12 (11-20-2011)
post #18 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Spellcheck turned off KRA?
post #19 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrayandersen View Post
yeah, my post was really an underhanded jap at childless people sarcasm button off

but now that you mention it. The last people that should have kids are people that don't want them. Considering your verbiage to describe children, I'm confident you did the right thing. You do bring up an interesting point though, and that is: the people most capable both with regard to resource and ability are having less children, and people [generally] what ain't got the two sticks to rub together are having a gaggle of them.... something messed up and a little backward there (ref Bell Curve).

The smart would sill not be considered a family car in the traditional sense, and CERTAINLY there was no offence intended toward the childless family.

Not to worry I had enough kids to replace you and yours
We're on the same page then, KennyRay!

donsgal
post #20 of 278 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Spellcheck turned off KRA?
I read fast, I write fast, I think it was coherent enough for you to get the point
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode