Electrical Problems - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still not got to the bottom of this. The car drives fine. Been using torque instead of the dash! Had the usual monthly problem of the battery going flat today but noticed something else this time. The negative battery post was hot after trying to start the car with the flat battery. Does that give you any more ideas? My latest guess is a leaky rectifier on the alternator, would that explain the symptoms? AC being fed into the electrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
You could have a defective battery or the connection to the post has a high resistance causing it to heat when current flows through it. Has it been checked? The Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia mentions that the negative lead to ground is under rated and the car benefits from a heavier ground lead. I would replace that just for good measure and be sure the battery post is bright and shiny from brushing it with a metal brush before installing the new post clamp. It is inexpensive and certainly won't hurt anything. Then if you crank it and the terminal still gets hot, question the battery or have it checked under load at a battery/parts supply store. Good luck!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 on the negative/grounding cable at the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

Well I'm new on to the Smart FourTwo 450, which i think I might have made a mistake by byuing one second hand. I'm from South Africa and most people would tell you with a problem,,go to the dealership. My Smart first used a lot of oil, and according to Mercedes South Africa, replace the whole sub assembly.
I did not replace the sub assembly, but managed to find new parts that is very hard in South Africa and i have re-done the motor completely.
I'm still sitting with one problem, while driveing the car will just cut out completely, but it will start immediately again. Some days it will do it 2 to 3 times, and other days it wont do it at all.
Any suggestions on what i can look at to find the problem?
What i do like about the Smart is that it is small and funky.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A friend sent this to me. One day I went out for a ride, the low tire symbol came on so we checked air in tires and seemed ok but we aired up a few pounds and light went out, then ABS light went on a while later and then after stopping and then starting up in a few hours, a few miles down the road, the Check Engine light went on. I stopped and checked oil and made sure gas cap was on tight and all was fine so continued on home without any problem. Next day went to the mechanic, he check the car on the computer and it had lots of electrical things show up, we started it up once he cleared the lists of problems and, it the brakes locked up. He put it up so weight was off the brakes and it is fine but we do not dare drive it for fear of the brake lock up again. THE ABS light stays on so he felt it was the ABS module but out one in and it did not improve the faults in computer. Maybe a bad module but also now the triangle with ! in middle is now on along with ABS light on. That symbol is for the stability control so not safe to take it, maybe brake is still hanging up but cannot feel it. IF anyone has ideas let me know. The mechanic is stumped and wants to send it to Mercedes Benz but I do not have the money for that.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:52 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,637 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
The tire pressure light is irrelevant as it's a separate system. How old is the car? There are a couple things that can cause both the ABS and ESP to fail, however if the car is very young those things are unlikely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode