Engine noise - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you removed all the belts and the noise is still there it is time to take a look at the timing chain and oil pump chain. There are lots of plastic parts that can go bad under the timing cover. The cover can be removed with the engine in the car but it is a pain in the but to do. If you keep driving the timing could jump time when the chain goes which causes lot of damage. On the diesel cars when the oil pump chain goes it takes out the timing chain and can cause the rocker arms to break and damage the valve which in turn can brake the valve.

Leroy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok... need repair manual...or instructions on how to get timing cover off....do I need to take cylinder head off.? Where can I get instructions?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman1946 View Post
Ok... need repair manual...or instructions on how to get timing cover off....do I need to take cylinder head off.? Where can I get instructions?

I have access to the MB WIS system, I can look for the info tonight when I get home. I see your is an '05, I'm assuming 700cc gas? If I can access it, I'll send you a PM and we can discuss how to get the info to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
To remove the timing cover you have to remove the valve cover to get to the two bolts that hold the cover on. If you do not remove the head you would have to pry the cover off. So when you put it back on it would leak on the top where the head gasket is at. You also have to remove the oil pan. Plus if your going to replace the timing chain there are lots of plastic parts that need to be replace and the head would have to come off anyway. Simple steps, remove engine, remove head, remove oil pan, remove timing cover. And a lot of things in between.

Parts needed; timing chain kit, head gasket and seals, head bolts.

Leroy
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
rayman, I never heard back from you. Did the info I sent help?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, sorry...I got the info you sent me.....thankyou very much....... I really hate the thought of trying to fix this...Really upset ....and I don't even know if there is <really> anything wrong. The timing chain looks real tiny, but in good shape, and tight..... The noise is there...someone told me that aluminum engines always make a lot of valve chain noise. They didn't hear any odd noise... now I wonder , do I tare this motor apart to find nothing really wrong....or just drive it...or sell or trade it? I'm not sure what to do....for now ..I drive it with my fingers crossed listening for any change in the noise. As far as getting parts and doing the work its gonna be a pain in the but......
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I realise this is an old thread... but did the OP get to the bottom of what was causing the noise because I have the same symptoms coming from my Roadster!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,440 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type452 View Post
I realise this is an old thread... but did the OP get to the bottom of what was causing the noise because I have the same symptoms coming from my Roadster!
Since rayman1946's post was made 5 years ago (1/14/2011) perhaps you could send him a PM to see if he found "the cause" or has moved on?

Fact, you are basically sitting under the hood with THE ENGINE in a plastic car, you will hear all variety of noises. Absent, a CEL or codes being thrown just drive the car . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode