User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fuel Leak at Vapor Recovery System

I know that G&K were forced to add some sort of vapor recovery system to the 450s per the DOT and/or EPA. I have an interesting problem that my mechanic and I discovered.

I filled the tank, drove home, parked in the garage and went inside. 20 minutes later I came back out to the garage and noticed a puddle under the car. I could smell it was gasoline, went over and confirmed it (coolant tastes sweet, gas tastes gross). I then took it to my mechanic after realizing I'd need a lift to get a better view.

My mechanic topped off the tank, put it on the lift and saw something interesting. The fuel filler neck is not making the gas pump cut off soon enough during fuelling. This allows fuel to get into the vapor recovery system (that was not original from MB/Smart to the car). The fuel sits in there and then dumps out onto the belly pan and then the ground.

I'm going by later to get a firsthand look at this. And to hopefully come up with a solution. I hope to get pictures and post them here.

Anyone have a thoughts on potential fixes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the leak is with the fuel evaporative / vapor recovery system that G&K fitted. Placed a call to G&K (two actually) asking for Edward and no response. Not sure I'm going to get any info from them. Unfortunate since G&K Auto are the shop that added the vapor recovery system to the cars.

I did find at Evilution that the fuel filters are a common source of a leak as well. We double checked this and it is in fact the vapor recovery system and not the fuel filter. We pulled one of the hoses off from the rectangle box and fuel came out of the hose. Not good if its for vapor recovery.

They will drop the fuel tank and take a closer look at where the line comes from the top of the tank and runs to vapor recovery box. I should be able to get some great pictures of the system then.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have a 450 but I find this interesting none the less. We have seen some problems with over-filling the tank and flooding the vapor canister, causing a Check Engine Light which needs a dealer to reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for chiming in Jim. That is exactly what seems to be happening. The canister (the rectangular box the hose runs to) is probably filling with fuel. Weird thing is, its supposed to trigger a check engine light but has not yet done so.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Finally spoke with Edward at G&K. He said it shouldn't be a difficult issue to fix. When my mechanic gets back in on Monday, we're to call Edward and start working through some solutions.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like a Smart no charge fix if this is why I keep smelling raw gas fumes in the car. Me thinks they should have kept it in Europe. I am very disappointed in Smart Cars.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Any update Brian?

Larry, smart had nothing to do with the vapour recovery system in the G&K converted cars. This should be the sole responsibility of G&K to make right.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It is a real easy fix. G&K has a fix. I do them all the time. If you want pictures of the fix PM me.
It takes about $15.00 worth of parts.

Leroy
The Following User Says Thank You to Leroy For This Useful Post:
john74 (05-24-2011)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Leroy thanks for your expertise. Might be best for the community if you could email me the pictures, I can put them on my server and then add them here?

Huronlad, yes just today as a matter of fact. Mechanic was able to drop the tank and saw the hole G&K put in the gas tank for fuel vapor recovery. Problem has two parts.

First, hole for check valve has 3 screw holes. All 3 screws were not seated into the screw holes properly which caused crack at time of original attachment. Cracks have now grown out from around hole edges towards edges of tank.

Second, check valve has failed. Fuel gets into vapor recovery line and heads to the FORD box and FORD sensor G&K used. Funny enough, original-from-the-factory bracket on fuel tank is still there, attached to nothing.

I will get more and better pictures tomorrow.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Leroy's fix is a great idea. Dare I say it should be done as preventative maintenance, Leroy?

My issue, however, is not solved by Leroy's fix. My leak is coming from where the check valve was plugged into the tank. The screw holes used to hold the gasket and the cover have cracked and are causing the sealant around the bung for the check valve to crack as well. Sealing it up with some sort of epoxy does not work and is not a good solution since the fuel tank is under pressure.

Looks like my fix is going to be buying a new 33 liter gas tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode