November 2009: What do we know about gasser 450 Engine Chip/ECU Remap? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
November 2009: What do we know about gasser 450 Engine Chip/ECU Remap?

Have 2006 Passion, gasoline G&K. SmartsRUs in UK says I have to send my car to them to do the ECU remap. What are my options here? I'm in Baltimore and am not shipping my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How much power are you looking for? You can always remap it yourself by buying the chip tuning kit and some software and do it yourself. If you do a remap you still have to do the normal mods to gain the power that most people want.

Leroy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No need to send the car - just the EDG/ECU main computer.

You can also contact Eddy Lai's Flying Tiger Developments in British Columbia, Canada. See www.flyingtiger.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
How much power are you looking for? You can always remap it yourself by buying the chip tuning kit and some software and do it yourself. If you do a remap you still have to do the normal mods to gain the power that most people want.

Leroy
Nope. Well... yep. You can buy a Mercedes Star machine for $7-15,000 along with an annual update fee of $2,000 (depending on the model and who you know) and then buy remap license code $300 or so.

The smart is not like any other car on the market. It has unique and proprietary characteristics, as you will soon discover.

HTH,
Bil :sun:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking for torque. I want the car to have better acceleration off the line and up hills. I used to import parts from S-Mann a while back for this place I used to work, and the owner Imro said that there was a way to get around 100hp with upgraded turbo and injectors from the Smart Roadster plus intake, exhaust, and chip. I never went ahead and did any of that, but I'm starting to look into it again. I also want a set of wider 15-inch wheels to help with grip, and do the brakes. I'm not sure how I feel about doing the ECU mods myself, as I've never done anything like that before and I'd worry about doing it wrong. Any suggestions on any of this are welcomed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I've seen the Remap DIY on Evilution, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM

The cost of the Mercedes Star is down to about $1,300.00 with laptop or cheaper. No annual fees. The TAN code for the Brabus performance upgrade is only $40.00. I will give it to you free. But if you upgrade to the Brabus power you still have to update the injectors, turbo and cam. If you buy the Chip Tunning kit they are only $50.00 to $100.00 and the software is about $30.00 for a load of remaps. Or you can modified one yourself. These are not as good as the ones that are worked out on a dyno.
If the car is a daily driver and you do not know anything about computers then you should stick with the normal mods that you can do yourself. If you start increasing the boost too much on the smart cars the engines sometimes will not live very long.
Has your car been on a Star machine to see if the ECU and SAM has been updated to the latest factory software? Every G&K car that I have worked on needed updating. Most people noticed the differance in performance after the update.

Leroy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I haven't checked out the software update, I'll try and find a MB dealer who is willing to do it. No one in this area has ageed to even look at my car, they all say MB will not allow them to work in 450s. I do drive my car almost every day and over long distances, so I don't want to do anything that will cause my engine to crap out. As you said, I don't know much about computer modifications. I just assume that with physical mods, the engine computer needs to be reprogrammed to realize there were changes made. If I were to replace the turbo, etc., would I NEED to do the ECU mod? What are those Chip Tuning Kits you're referring to for $50-100? Also, that throttle plug-in thing that's like $350, what's your take on that? Seems awfully expensive for what it does.

Re: normal mods, I am weary of the various air scoop/delip options because I don't want water getting in there. I just have a K&N. Is the TIK pipe worth it? Wondering what's the best bang for the buck exhaust. Can the stock one be modified?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Just heard back from Eddy at flying tiger, he says he can remap my ecu "from approximately 40-65hp" which is a much bigger increase than I had anticipated. Sounds a bit extreme to me, I don't want to blow up my turbo. Seems like an increase like that would warrant upgraded cooling elements as well, no? Anyone on this forum have that done, can review it?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM

The car already has 60 HP. Just do the simple stuff like deliping, scoop and K&N filter with the TIK pipe. Aftermarket muffler you will gain the sound and a little power. You will notice an emprovement in power if you do all the things I stated. If you install a biger turbo you will get more power but the ECU will back off the boost without a good remap. You do not need the power throttle. It will seam neat at first but after a week you will not notice any differance. There is NO POWER gain you just think you have more power. I call it the smoke and hide trick.
If you want to open up the exhaust you could gain some power. But you would have to cut it open and remove some buffles. I did it once but the sound was not good so I went with the aftermarket exhaust.

Leroy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode