Smart Car of America Forum banner

READ ALL BEFORE VOTING: I WILL come OCT 18

October Skyline Drive cruise (MAJOR ISSUES)

12K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  wrumbarger 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy all

I contacted the National Park Service (NPS) about our group doing a group cruise along Skyline Drive.

I am considering SATURDAY OCTOBER 18 FRONT ROYAL entry at 9:30AM
stopping at at least 3 scenic overlooks and exiting from SWIFT RUN GAP (65 miles)

Breakfast BEFORE and LUNCH after on your own, snacks along the way are up to you?

CRACKER BARREL
15 Riverton Commons Place
Front Royal, VA 22630

I-66 & Rt 522 has agreed to be our staging area (Please arrive EARLY if you plan to eat there?)

Depart Cracker Barrel lot at 9AM Arrive skyline toll booth at 9:25(-ish)

Max speed is 35MPH, so the minimum would be 2 hrs + stops.

The NPS has no problem (several other car clubs do the same thing).

HOWEVER, I need your input on the costs involved?

IF we have more than 20 vehicles (and less than 100) then we need a SPECIAL USE PERMIT.

The permit is $200

PLUS each vehicle will be charged $15 for access to the park.
(there ARE senior rates AND passes available)
Shenandoah National Park - Annual Passes (U.S. National Park Service)

PLUS we would only be allowed to proceed in groups of 20 vehicles at 15 min intervals (to allow other people and emergency vehicles access)

IF I charge the SUP fee on my credit card, THEN I would expect participants to reimburse me for their portion? IE: You pay the entrance fee to NPS AND pay me (if there are 40 cars then divide $200 by 40 = $5/car, if there are more, it will cost less)

If I can get 30 DEFINATE participants, then I will go ahead with planning.

Indicate your option on the poll above

Thank you.

See less See more
#6 ·
Rules

I could never get the hand of Thursdays and after that i could never figure out rules like the ones that NPS want. Groups of 20 at 15 minute intervals? Jeez, do they do that for minivans????

Are there other alternatives to SLD? Maybe Rte 40/48 in western MD or Rte 50 or 7 in VA? Somewhere with less rules....

Leaves are leaves. It's like the Cherry Blossoms, how many have ventured up to the Japanese Embassy near the Naval Observatory where there are a bunch of Japanese Cherry trees?

Let's open our minds... or not... I'm easy :D

#7 ·
Fantastic scenic views?

Howdy Marathon Man

If you have to ask about the views along Skyline Drive, then you probably have never driven it?

Magical scenic vistas, amazing fall foliage (leaves), deer that actually come right up to your car, trees and flowers and chirping birds (and they're coming to take me away, HA HA)?

The 20 vehicles per 15 minute rule is so that other vehicles can enjoy the drive.

If you don't want to join the group, at least consider driving the Skyline by yourself? It is an experience you will never forget.

#8 ·
Been down the Skyline drive a few times and even did some hiking one year with friends in my larger days, and lived to tell. Anyway i agree that it is a great drive. Now in my Smart, well that will be a really good memory.
BTW i don't mind the rules of the park. I just hope the bears are not out.

Howdy Marathon Man

If you have to ask about the views along Skyline Drive, then you probably have never driven it?

Magical scenic vistas, amazing fall foliage (leaves), deer that actually come right up to your car, trees and flowers and chirping birds (and they're coming to take me away, HA HA)?

The 20 vehicles per 15 minute rule is so that other vehicles can enjoy the drive.

If you don't want to join the group, at least consider driving the Skyline by yourself? It is an experience you will never forget.

#11 ·
If you want to ride with one of the folks who have a Smart, i am always open to taking a passenger. Besides, id hate to travel to the Skyline Drive alone.

Oh, I LOVE Skyline drive, and in a cabriolet...?!!! Sad news is, I don't have my Smart car yet. Great news is, I just got my configuation e-mail today...so...I'll be able to do this next year! :)

(Oh, what color what color?...) :rolleyes:

#10 ·
You don't HAVE to be in a smart to join us?

Howdy

Just because this is a smart owners get together doesn't mean you HAVE to be in a smart!
Drive whatever you have and talk to the other owners, see what modifications they have done, learn tips and tricks about the smart?

We are mostly a friendly bunch? As long as you don't show up in a Hummer, we won't tease you too much about not driving a smart?

#14 ·
Count me in on the Cracker Barrel breakfast. I have not been there in a very long time. When i did eat there, I went to the one in Manassas right on Sudley road just off of I -66. I was thinking you might want to consider that one and then head off to Skyline Drive. Then again, were you thinking a good early start to get there? BTW i hope to have a freind join for the cruise. I do hate to go a long drive alone.

Howdy all

I was checking and there is a Cracker Barrel in Front Royal (if you want to do breakfast before going to Skyline?

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Locations

#15 ·
The girlfriend and I just traveled up the Blueridge Pkwy last month in the Smart and enjoyed the ride so much we wanted to do it again in the fall. This gives us a great reason to return when the leaves are at their best. Hope to see lots of cars show up. Should put this in the general discussion area and see what kind of response you get. I'll be coming down from NY. It'll be worth the trip!

#23 ·
IF you are coming VOTE in the POLL?

Howdy all

IF you are planning on coming, VOTE YES in the POLL attached to this thread.

I started the poll so I wouldn't have to read through all the posts to count how many to expect.

IF you ARE NOT coming. VOTE NO
(or don't vote, cause I really don't care if you aint coming?)

Currently we have 11 smarties signed up.

IF we have less than 20, then we don't need the "Special Use Permit" and the cost will be just to get onto Skyline Drive ($15/car - see my first post for discount info)

IF we have 20 - 39, we can get by without a permit, as long as we split into 2 groups (15 min between).

More than 40, we need the permit.

My plan is to leave from "Cracker Barrel" (15 Riverton Commons Place; Front Royal, VA 22630) AT 9AM (please be early)

IF you are planning on eating breakfast at Cracker Barrel, Please allow enough time? (Don't show up at 8:30 and plan on eating there?)

We will smart-voy to the Skyline Drive entrance (15 miles) and then proceed to ooh and ahh at all the pretty leaves (and deer, and bear and squirrels)

Looking forward to seeing y'all there.

#24 · (Edited)
Smart-voy

This sounds like a nice idea for a smart meet, hope you have fun.
I noticed you used the phrase "smart-voy", well over in Britain, we call it a tube, ie, we will all tube along Skyline drive.
It is a smart car only expression coined my one of the members, because we all drive smarties, it is a TUBE OF SMARTIES, get it.
Just in case you don't have smarties over there, smarties are a chocolate sweet with multicoloured outers that come in tubes, thus a tube of smarties.
Do you have smarties over there?
El

#36 ·
Not very familiar with the "Swift Run Gap" area.
I welcome any suggestions.

I know the restaurant at Skyland is great, but a little pricey?
Big Meadows is about 60 miles down Skyline Drive. There's a burger place there and plenty of picnic facilities (& bathrooms). Big Meadows is kind of cool. If you've never been up there, on an overcast or grey day, it like I image the heath in Scotland.

I'm not sure if I'm going to stay the whole time, or bail at Route 211.

I'd vote towards hanging out at Big Meadows.

#31 ·
YOU can leave from Manassas?

I picked that location because that Cracker Barrel is only 15 min from Skyline (less likely folks will get lost enroute) and that time because I have things I need to do that afternoon?

We are looking for someone to "take point" in planning and organizing the NOVEMBER and JANUARY meetings?

If anyone wants to arrange either of those?

(I really am trying to be fair in moving our meets around the DC area)

There is a Thai restaurant in Rockville that has offered to let us park there for a get together (IF we eat there of course)?
(The owner has ordered a smart and is waiting for delivery.)

#33 ·
Thai sounds good, and it is differeerent, but im on a meet already

I picked that location because that Cracker Barrel is only 15 min from Skyline (less likely folks will get lost enroute) and that time because I have things I need to do that afternoon?

We are looking for someone to "take point" in planning and organizing the NOVEMBER and JANUARY meetings?

If anyone wants to arrange either of those?

(I really am trying to be fair in moving our meets around the DC area)

There is a Thai restaurant in Rockville that has offered to let us park there for a get together (IF we eat there of course)?
(The owner has ordered a smart and is waiting for delivery.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.