No start just clicks - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
If the car has autolights and automatic wipers, there is a known problem whereby the battery will drain if both are left in the on position.

~toaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
i have seen this in a few smarts, driving the owners (and me nuts). sometimes it something stupid like a corroded connection at the battery, or ground cable on the engine to body...sam unit with a burnt connector, or realy loose...

then occasionally get the random bad battery, alternator, and even a ignition switch.... electricals are hard to track down and solve when problems come up.. my best bet is that its something stupid and ab easy fix.

steveg.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 08:05 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Garage
My battery in my smart is almost 5 years old and is starting to fail. After it sits for a couple of days the battery drains enough with the pod clock, SAM,phantom glow of my LED interior lights and my DVD <MP5 Backup camera in my rear view mirror needs power all the time, so it drasins my old weak battery. I try to start it and it just clicks the first 2 or three times I try it. If the battery is indeed low when it clicks to try to start you will hear the Pod tachometer spin up, and thats a pretty sure sign that battery voltage is dangerously low. Mine still barely starts after a few tries. The SAM will even shut off the dome light and extra things trying to conserve power to start the engine. After it starts it's good for the next day or two but I noticed about a week prior that the engine was cranking slower than usual and I noticed the dash lights and headlights dimming or pulsing a little at night. If everything stays bright during the attempt to crank, the starter solenoid is kicking in (this the click), but the starter is not spinning. You need to try and jump it to see if it starts. If you have a test meter check battery voltage with it running. It should read 13.5 to even 14.5 if it's charging hard.If it's around 12 volts running I would suspect the alternator, which I believe has a built in voltage regulator if my memory serves me right. I know car problems can be aggrevating, but you can methodically work through them and troubleshoot your problem. We can help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaraman View Post
If you've replaced the battery that many times in that short of an interval, then clearly the battery is NOT the problem. I propose four possibilities:
1. The charging system is over-charging your battery. I'm not sure if the voltage regulator is built into the alternator in your smart or if it's a separate device but you need to check the voltage regulator.
2. There is a zombie load on your battery (light left on, electrical short, defective voltage regulator, defective electronics, etc) that is repeatedly discharging your battery. You can check this for yourself with an ammeter or have your battery shop verify that the load on the battery is very low when the car is off. You may need to check this repeatedly as the load may be intermittent.
3. The charging system is only charging the battery intermittently. This can be caused by a loose cable or intermittent alternator. This allows the battery to deeply discharge which is NOT good for lead-acid batteries that aren't designed for deep-discharge.
4. Variant of #2 : Something or somebody is leaving the lights or other electronics on when the car is off. Perhaps the timer on the headlight has gone kaput and is leaving the headlights on for 30 minutes every time you shut off the car?

Deeply discharging a lead-acid battery even once will greatly shorten its life. It's pretty easy to kill a battery in 4 months if you repeatedly discharge it.

In any case, replacing the battery is not the solution. Just because the battery is the component that is failing doesn't mean the battery is to blame. You don't blame the engine for blowing up when the oil pump fails. Similarly, don't blame the battery for failing when it is being abused by something you haven't yet discovered.
Thanks for your troubleshooting tips. As I said in my original post, these were three different cars and testing the charging system was the first thing I did! All of the failures were shorted or open cells.
chieftmc likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 04:47 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenka View Post
Thanks for your troubleshooting tips. As I said in my original post, these were three different cars and testing the charging system was the first thing I did! All of the failures were shorted or open cells.
Shorted or open cells are caused by overcharging or deep discharging. I understand that you tested the charging system, but that does not mean that the charging system is ALWAYS working properly. From your description, it sounds like an intermittent problem with the charging system. Intermittent issues are really a pain to diagnose.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smart car would not start after i sut it off for about ten minutes i went to leave and nothing car would not start it turned over but no start so i then had smart towed to house and then tried to start again turned over but no start then i checked it in the morrning and it wont even crank now all lights come on battery is good. what the hell. please tell me somthing good thanks David g
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
David, take a close look at the battery terminal on the starter. Itís prone to corrosion and can become so bad the car wonít start.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have same issue, followed all trouble shoot Inc N11-6 no voltage. Have all guage lights including no key blinking. BATTERY @ 12.6V Car parked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode