Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Basic backup camera

Had several people ask about backup cameras at our Saturday meet in Columbus after they saw one of the Easton cars with the full nav system and backup camera. Here's one (of many) alternatives - just a basic camera and LCD screen: http://www.amazon.com/3-5-Wireless-Backup-Camera-System/dp/B000W2IS6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1216035754&sr=1-2
A Google search will show many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully people at the meet got a chance to look at the backup camera system that was installed to both the red demo "orphan" and to the black demo with the dealer decals on it. I drove both of those Fortwos Saturday and I can confirm the camera was on both of the cars.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM

its a really great feature. yep both of the demo's plus most of the oprhans have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM

Camera?!? Are you kidding me? Parking spots are 20 feet long!
I am planning on adding one of these to the Kenwood radio in my truck which is 10 feet longer than the smart, has 4 doors and a 6 foot bed.
But unless you have REALLY bad parking issues like NYC, it is pure vanity.
Ha-ha-ha just kidding, I am getting one too
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
SCOA Club

Costco is the best place to buy back up camera's. I've purchased two there so far for about $60.00 each.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased a cam but haven't installed it yet, I will be connecting it to my in-dash DVD player. Just curious to know where is the best place to install the cam on the Smart. Also, I have been thinking about getting a license frame with built in cam, anyone have any experience with one of those?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
I purchased a cam but haven't installed it yet, I will be connecting it to my in-dash DVD player. Just curious to know where is the best place to install the cam on the Smart. Also, I have been thinking about getting a license frame with built in cam, anyone have any experience with one of those?
My S550 has one of those (didn't come with the car). It's a chrome finish license plate the the camera blends in well. Looks very nice. Helps me a lot when parking that boat.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 PM

I love my back up cam. It's not vanity with this car. There are some bad blind spots especially with the top down. My driveway slopes down and when backing out I can't be entirely sure there isn't a small child behind me. As I have a lot of experience with backed over children I want to make sure I am never the cause. Just a warning for those of you who aren't really into DIY. Many of the Costco type back up cameras that say "wireless" actually require you to wire the unit to your reverse lights. That involves splicing into wires and may involve drilling into your car. The wireless part is the signal from the camera to the monitor. I mounted my camera right next to my license plate under the lip on the tailgate.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,561 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone looked at car DVR's? Has 1,2 or 3 cameras and records constantly looping over itself. You can download the video, has GPS and shock sensors that automatically save a user specified length of time before and after impact. Kind of ties in with the thread about smart haters. When jerks cut you off, tailgate, intimidate or actually hit you, you have it recorded, save it and take them to court with it. New cars will be coming with them as standard equipment soon, you can get big discounts with insurance because fault cam be easily detirmined. Cost is around $150 up to $450 depending on options etc. Google "car dvr."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I hadn't thought about installing a back up camera in my smart.
I used to have one on the back of our camper that then connected to a monitor on the dash of my full size van. It was a big help not only when parking the camper but also driving down the road. I could see who was behind me. I wanted a sign on the back of the camper that I could have triggered to say "Your following too close" or "Smile your on candid camera"

Tags
backup camera , security , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f76/basic-backup-camera-11204/
Posted By For Type Date
Backup camera - forum post summary | BoardReader This thread Refback 07-25-2008 05:28 AM