Parrot MK6100 Bluetooth handsfree installation. - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parrot MK6100 Bluetooth handsfree installation.

The Parrot MK6100 bluetooth system is an almost plug & play installation. The kit comes with an ISO harness that is plug compatible with the 451 & it's radio. Only one change is needed. The power leads for the processor box are attached to the wrong pins. Simple fix. The orange & red power wires have fuses & them and are labeled. Clip both of them near where they enter the ISO socket.

Next take a quick splice and attach the red power wire labeled "12v Battery" to the orange wire on the parrot harness. Then attach the orange wire labeled "12v Ignition" and attach it to the green wire on the parrot harness.

Thats it. Pull the radio, unplug the A & B plugs from the radio & plug them into the sockets on the parrot harness. Plug the harness plugs into the radio. Plug the harness into the parrot processor box. Place the display & remote microphone where you want them & run the wires back to the box. Everything is keyed so you can't get it wrong. My only complaint was that the cable for the display wasn't long enough to put it over the mirror where I wanted it. I ran the wire out the large square hole in the button panel & pressed the panel in on top of it. Not elegant but a good damage free temporary mount.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Admin emeritus

So does this require you to install a microphone as well? Can you explain to me what technology and use this system provides... I'm uber noob when it comes to bluetooth.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMART View Post
So does this require you to install a microphone as well? Can you explain to me what technology and use this system provides... I'm uber noob when it comes to bluetooth.
Simply put it turns the car into a giant headset. Once its been set up when you start the car it automatically connects to your phone (if it has bluetooth) and any calls you place or receive are heard over the car's speakers.

Bluetooth is just the name for the wireless link from the phone to the handsfree kit.

This kit has a microphone built into the display When a call comes in it automatically mutes the radio and announces the callers name if its in your phones phonebook. You answer by pushing a button on the remote. It is just like using any speakerphone. End the call by pushing the other button on the remote & the radio automatically unmutes.

The smart is fairly noisy at freeway speeds so none of these things work perfectly. But it is a lot better than fumbling with the phone itself in traffic.

Last edited by gamsberry; 03-29-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 AM

Does anyone know of a possible comparison between the smart bluetooth kit and the Parrot as far as quality?

Quite frankly, IMO, the smart kit looks like a crappy CD changer remote that you would buy at Wal*Mart... this looks much smaller and more elegant.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 AM

Both installs look a bit messy to me. Here's my Bluetooth solution for my smartie. $60 at Costco.

Review here http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/12/jabra-sp5050-bl.html

Jabra SP5050 Bluetooth Car Kit

Last edited by spdickey; 03-30-2008 at 10:36 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM

MK6100 arrived today, SMART ForTwo Passion 84bhp arrives in two weeks.
Interesting post, only one I could find out there on installing the MK6100 into a SMART ForTwo 451. I'm in the UK but the vehicles are most likely pretty identical with regard to audio connections etc.
Quick question, how did you notice the pins were incorrect, was the unit not displaying 'Goodbye' on turning off ignition ? The manual makes comment of this and suggests reversing the two fuse holders. Would this have the same net effect as your description above ?

Many thanks
Chris
(UK)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDolphin View Post
MK6100 arrived today, SMART ForTwo Passion 84bhp arrives in two weeks.
Interesting post, only one I could find out there on installing the MK6100 into a SMART ForTwo 451. I'm in the UK but the vehicles are most likely pretty identical with regard to audio connections etc.
Quick question, how did you notice the pins were incorrect, was the unit not displaying 'Goodbye' on turning off ignition ? The manual makes comment of this and suggests reversing the two fuse holders. Would this have the same net effect as your description above ?

Many thanks
Chris
(UK)
I'd like to say that I carefully examined the connector pinouts but in reality I just plugged it all in & when nothing happened I started digging deeper. Fortunately the smoke stayed on the inside. In the harness's original form 12v switched is connected to 12v constant & 12v constant is connected to an unused pin. So just swapping @ the fuses wouldn't work. You could swap them then cut just the harness end of the red wire & move it to green. That should work & you'd only have to splice one wire.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks for that, I'll see what happens in a couple of weeks when I get the Smart and install the kit.

Have you tried the music streaming ? Anything additional needed to be done there ? I'm not looking for perfect sound, just some music from the iPod (with a bluetooth connector) or my HTC Tytn II phone.

Chris
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDolphin View Post
Thanks for that, I'll see what happens in a couple of weeks when I get the Smart and install the kit.

Have you tried the music streaming ? Anything additional needed to be done there ? I'm not looking for perfect sound, just some music from the iPod (with a bluetooth connector) or my HTC Tytn II phone.

Chris
It does work but it didn't sound very good at all. At first I thought it was because it was only driving the small speakers on the dash but when I checked it was driving all of them. It will sound better through the aux in on the radio.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM

You dont have the wiring diagram for the SMART ISO Socket do you ? (only I notice the yellow pad with doodles on it...) When I mentioned your post to Parrot they simply say "you must check the live with a multimeter before connecting"...er...which isnt exactly very helpful. If you have the pin settings then I'd appreciate it.
Regards
Chris

PS - Parrot are now saying the SMART ISO layout would be useful etc - if you have it.

Last edited by ChrisDolphin; 05-14-2008 at 02:57 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode