towing 4 down and rear wheels locked up - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
towing 4 down and rear wheels locked up

I have a 2013 Pure and towed it 4 down from Fresno Ca to Quartzite AZ with no problem. I tow behind my 40' motorhome. I drove around Quartzite foe several days with no problem. I then hooked it up to tow to Phoenix following the instructions in the manual as always. I pulled the Smartie for about a quarter mile before seeing smoke coming from the car tires which were locked and skidded the tires flat on the bottoms. I was stuck in the middle of the road and as the local PD and a flatbed tow truck showed up I attempted to unstick the rear end. In all the confusion I cannot remember if the gear shift, ignition/key e- brake and battery shut off were in the proper positions....but I set up step by step with the manual open on the pass seat, so.... I finally freed the rear end ant attempted to start the motor and the battery was too low to crank. The battery had enough power to run the dash lights but not to start. I jumped the battery and got it started but there was/is a noise coming from the engine area. Actually sounds like a bent push rod sounds on an old 60-70s motor. It is not very loud until the motor is reved. I would think that flat skidding the rear would damage the trans or clutch but not the motor. I have not yet jacked it up to try and see where the noise is coming from. I will do that tomorrow....

Any input is appreciated.... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:33 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
ewwwee, sorry about the bad luck, hope it's not too expensive to fix, maybe invest a few more $$$ for a trailer, to be safe. if i won the lotto, i'd get a sprinter interstate and a trailer for the smart. i start my new job at Amazon in 2 days, otherwise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode