Toy hauler a possibility ? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toy hauler a possibility ?

I wonder if the Smart Car would load and haul in a fifthwheel toy hauler ? That would meet our needs nicely ! Can the toy haulers carry a smart car ? Would the loading ramp handle a smart car ?
Thanks for your consideration !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
If it can handle 2,000 pounds it can handle the smart.

Check the product specs for individual toy haulers

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, you can do that

Here's a video of that:

You have to go in about half way into the video and it's really poorly done but it demonstrates the capability.

I'm sure this has come up on SCOA previously.

Regards,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:30 PM

I have a Fleetwood Formula 385. I hauled my Suzuki Boulevard C50T and a friend's Nomad from Tampa to Baton Rouge. The two bikes together weigh about 1500 lb or so. The toy hauler is rated for about 3500 lb useful load. The rear ramp is supposedly rated for 3500 lb. I never tow with water in the tanks. But some freshwater would probably help the pin weight ratio a bit.

Come down to FL I will be happy to sell it to anyone. We live here now and don't need it for winter living.

I will clarify that I have not loaded the smart in the Fleetwood but believe I could if desired. I tow with a Ford F350 dually with Tow Boss 4.30 rear end which permits 26,000 GCVW.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM

We are wanting to take our SMART in our toy hauler, but we need to be able to tie her down so she doesn't get any bumps or bruises. She came with one tow eye bolt, but we need 3 more because there are 4 ports to insert the bolts. I've been having problems trying to find these bolts, do anyone know where I can find them?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Your dealer should have them.
Or you can check with the vendors here for the racing style ones, but they can be a bit pricey.
Well these are not ungodly expensive
smart car Racing Style Tow Hooks

Or you can get creative for the purpose with these items
smart car Bumper Bolts - Set of 2

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM

one of the readers is building a rv trailer to haul behind his tractor/truck. hes using the 450 because of length issues.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsmall View Post
We are wanting to take our SMART in our toy hauler, but we need to be able to tie her down so she doesn't get any bumps or bruises. She came with one tow eye bolt, but we need 3 more because there are 4 ports to insert the bolts. I've been having problems trying to find these bolts, do anyone know where I can find them?
What are your tie-down provisions? I tie-down through my wheels when I tow my smart. Pics in my gallery. You'll have to drill a hole in your front bumper to get to that 4th tow-bolt receiver. Only 3 are accessible.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree with Bum-bling-B, get a set of wheel tie-downs. each set will have a long strap with an adjustable ratchet & hook on one end and just a hook on the other end. then there's a shorter strap with two loops on each end that goes over the long strap. the long strap feeds behind the wheel while the shorter strap goes around the outside of the wheel. you take up the slack through the ratchet then tighten it down to get it good & snug. there's no marring and no jerking around on the body or frame. so, feasibly, you'll need four sets to tie down one car safely. they aren't cheap either.

this is the scary part & strictly hearsay, but I was told (by AAA) that the tow eyelets on the Minis can pull completely out of the socket when loading on a rollback (ramp type) tow truck. I never saw it happen, but I only towed 3 Minis during my tenure.
(former tow truck driver).

p.s. this may have been mentioned in another post somewhere: but if you ever have to get towed anytime, never, ever let them tow you on a tail boom type tow truck. that's the kind that picks up only one end of the car and drags the other end on it's wheels. trust me on this!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,350 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Garage
When they picked up my 2008, they pulled it up onto a flatbed and used a tow hook underneath the front end. He said that he had seen the tow bolts pull out of the aluminum bumpers as the threaded pieces they go into are not too securely attached. He claimed to use the same tie down holes used for transporting from overseas.

I would lean towards the wheel straps that go over the wheels. It seems they would do the best job and since they are woven straps, would inflict the least damage. Just my opinion.

After watching the video, it might work better to back in since most of the weight is in the rear of the car. That would put more weight nearer the axles on the trailer.

Last edited by jimvw57; 12-28-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode