My experience with MB of Westminster - no bueno - Smart Car Forums
Home News Models Alternatives

Smart Car of America - America's Largest Smart Fortwo Enthusiast Community   Smart Fortwo, smart car, smartcar
HOME FORUMS GALLERY

Go Back   Smart Car Forums > Chapters/Regions > West Coast Region > Colorado Chapter

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Drive: passion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down My experience with MB of Westminster - no bueno

I bought my '09 Passion in November of last year, someone had driven it poorly and it needed a bunch of little things, some bigger things, but mostly just some TLC. Talked to Bob in parts over a dozen times, he was ALWAYS helpful and very knowledgeable. My first parts order seemed to go off without a hitch, and it all went downhill from there.

4 items were missed on the first order, just not even ordered, so after the first batch ($400), I had to go back down and order the rest for another $120. Keep in mind that I live in FTC and work in Greeley, so for me to make it down there by 6 is a challenge and 100 miles each time.

Order 3 was fine, $40 for three silly parts that I had missed my bad. But then it got bad, had the GF pick up the remaining parts and they only gave her half of what I ordered, so I had to go back again for the rest, I had some returns so it worked out. BUT... instead of getting my money back they had to issue me a credit, not a big deal, I needed a seat belt latch so the $32 they owed me would have been eaten up but instead they mailed me a check and charged my card, what a pain.

So after getting all the parts on and getting the car detailed I had an airbag light. I made an appt. took a day off work and brought the car down. Appt was at noon to have the code read and cleared, by 4pm they hadn't found anything. I could see my ForTwo on the screen they have in the waiting room just sitting there with the lights flashing. Finally I just went back and found Chuck, my service writer, what a disaster....there were keys and ROs scattered about, lot techs coming in and out the entire time, tags were wrong, another customer was pissed and kept barging in trying to get her car.... clusterf**k.

I sat there for an hour more while he tried to explain to me that the VIN in my cluster didn't match the VIN in the bag mod, but couldn't tell me how or why that happened. The tech finally gave up and said that my module was bad and I needed to pay them almost $900 for a new one....NOPE.

I had to pay them $120 to get my car back and they didn't do a damn thing except wash it, that's an expensive wash job. It's been my experience that if you can't fix a customer’s car then you should do the right thing and explain to them 100% WHY they need to buy a new part, not just say Oh Well, We don't know, it's going to be $900.

In the interest of saving money I found a used module from a yard in Oregon, let this be a warning, YOU CAN NOT PROGRAM A USED MODULE!!!

If you read nothing else read the following:

I sent my GF down with the car Monday morning since she works in Broomfield. The appt. was made with Chuck the previous Thursday. They assured us that it would only take an hour or so to flash the used module and clear the code (they never told me what the code was for in all this). At 4:30 she was dropped off to find our car sitting in the same exact spot that she left it, they hadn't even pulled it in! She called me pissed, I called Chuck pissed. He told me that they had no appt. in the system (BS) and that he had been trying to call me all day. Now, I have an automated phone system at work, 1 for directions, 2 for sales, 3 for everything else. His exact words, "Well every time I called I pressed three and no one answered." Wouldn't you think after calling 4 times you'd maybe, just MAYBE press 2?

So she sat there for another hour before they finally threw their arms up again and gave her a loaner. That was the ONE great part in all this, getting to bash around in a 2012 C300 AWD, but in the end it was $40 in fuel to travel the same distance that would cost me under $20 in my Smart, but I digress.

Tuesday morning we get a call that the used mod can't be flashed, again, let this be a warning to anyone trying to save a buck!! They happen to have a brand new one in stock and they offer us the mod for $358, their cost. Of course by this point I realize that I have no other choice in the matter and say go ahead. I get a call back and guess what? They sold it to someone else!!! No worries, I get to bash the C300 more. Last night I get a call at 3 or so that the car is finally done with no lights to the tune of $468.40. I pay over the phone with a CC because I get off at 5 and doubt that I can make it there in time, they say they’ll leave the key under the mat and the part and invoice on the seat. I get there at 6:15 and everyone has already left, I find the car and it’s FILTY. It was cleaner when it was dropped off. $120 got me a wash, $470 got me nothing….

http://i.imgur.com/p0cmu.jpg

With no local options I just HOPE I don’t have to go there for anything else from now on.

Crawlerado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crawlerado For This Useful Post:
BB Benz (02-19-2013), chieftmc (02-20-2013), em3706 (07-23-2013), jwight (01-10-2013), larryw4csc (03-02-2013), Miss Mercedes (07-23-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Most of the M-Bs I have been to will mail parts to customers, everything can be done over the phone if you have part numbers.
Huronlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronlad View Post
Most of the M-Bs I have been to will mail parts to customers, everything can be done over the phone if you have part numbers.
I guess I wasn't 100% clear, I ordered over the phone, he even faxed me diags so I could make sure of what I was ordering. But picking the parts up in person was the best option, they charge $15.50 to ship and I could make sure what I was getting was right. My main issue wasn't with parts, it was with their deplorable service department.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
This is not a pretty story. Most of the Colorado folks seem pretty happy with the front end of the dealership; hoping this is an anomaly since Westminster is the "host" smart center for the 2013 smart Nationals.
jwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jwight For This Useful Post:
b322da (03-03-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
This is not a pretty story. Most of the Colorado folks seem pretty happy with the front end of the dealership; hoping this is an anomaly since Westminster is the "host" smart center for the 2013 smart Nationals.
It's a nice facility, I think most of the issue was maybe Chuck is spread too thin. Or not delegating and using his resources. All he had to do was run my VIN, pull up the previous service history and see all three of my contact numbers and maybe even jog his memory as to why the car was there in the first place.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once you make about 2 visits to an M-B dealership and find that they are incompetent, dishonest, lying and oftentimes stupid (argued with me that the smart will let you know when a light burns out), stop wasting your time and money and start searching for a competent, honest independent shop to work on your smart. A good one will be able to decipher the codes better than the dealership. I found the same B.S. at the dealership in suburban Charlotte. They are totally dishonest, conniving thieves that are even incompetent in trying to pull off over-charging scams. I caught them several times.

Last edited by Uptown Dog Co; 01-11-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Uptown Dog Co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Uptown Dog Co For This Useful Post:
larryw4csc (03-02-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Drive: Cabrio
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about your experience with MB Westy. Overall we have been very happy with them. I'll admit, though, that we don't order parts so that is one experience we can't relate to. You should go up the chain of command there, if you can't get satisfactory resolution. The dealership owner is very much fanatical about providing good service.
ColoradoKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKiwi View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience with MB Westy. Overall we have been very happy with them. I'll admit, though, that we don't order parts so that is one experience we can't relate to. You should go up the chain of command there, if you can't get satisfactory resolution. The dealership owner is very much fanatical about providing good service.
Then why aren't they? Just because he says so, doesn't make it so. The owner here gets on TV in a pretty suit and tells you how honest and competent his dealership is. Total baloney.
Uptown Dog Co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Garage
I doubt the owner of the dealership reads this forum. It might make a difference to send him the link, or at least a copy of what you wrote. Could be he is not aware of what is really going on at his own service department. (it does happen)
jimvw57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
SCOA Club

Drive: pure
I had a bad experience with their service department for my Mercedes ML but they were extremely quick to fix it. Just have to bring it to their attention.
Mulder65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Zipcode/Postal Code
*Required, this field is not shown to others. It has to match your residence and IP.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
This location will be the only one displayed in your profile for all to see.
fortwo Model
What model fortwo do you have or are interested in?
tridion Safety Cell Color
Exterior Color
Interior Color
Car Wraps/Vehicle Advertising
Would you be willing to place advertisements on your smart car?
Events/Photoshoots/Commercials
Would you like to hear about potential events that you and your smart car can participate in such as photoshoots and commercials?

Log-in