Body Shop in Manhattan or NYC - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Body Shop in Manhattan or NYC

Wife has had a navigational error with the 2009 Black Brabus. Looking for recommendations for a body shop to do repairs. Front end damageto body and radiator pushed back but intact. Cracked windshield.

Any recommendation would be appreciated. Saw one review of someone waiting a month for windshield at the Manhattan Smart Center so not incredibly excited about going there.

Have Geico insurance

Thanks

Blade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:42 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure what the availability will be in the Big Apple, but windshields are readily available. Safelight or any other auto glass shop can get them, although they may provide aftermarket glass. Geico has an online feature where you can put in a glass claim and they'll set everything up with their preferred glass vendor (probably Safelight). Of course with your other damage filing a separate glass claim could get complicated.
Body panels are cheaper to replace with new, and they come pre-finished, so no paint is necessary. Pieces like the radiator supports are all replaceable. The repair may be less involved than it appears if the radiator and a/c condenser are intact. Does the radiator fan still run, and does the a/c work, and does the a/c condenser fan (up front) run with the a/c on? It may be hard to determine if the a/c is working with the cool weather, but if the fans run and the a/c condenser hasn't been damaged, you'll be in much better shape.
Unless you can find a shop that is familiar with the smart, or if the smart center is really difficult to deal with, I'd probably let them fix it. All of the repair parts will likely have to come from them anyway.
Just my 2 cents, and good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Jsenka, thanks I am not sure of the real condition of the car as I haven't seen it yet. I was thinking the Smart Center would be best also but have seen some bad reviews about the Mercedes/Smart Center in Manhattan. But I agree I would prefer someone familiar with Smarts do the work. Will most likely wind up there. Will see how Geico responds.
Thanks,
Blade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,440 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Bad reviews for Manhattan smart Center may not include the body shop? Because of tough EPA requirements many dealers don't own the body shop but rather sublet to their preferred provider.

That's the case with our M-B/smart Center and our experience was prompt repair, fair price, done right.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:24 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Good point. The SC in Clearwater uses another body shop in the dealer's 'family'. I believe Tampa does as well. Not that that has any relevance, but no complaints about my body repair there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
smart center manhattan, although they might tell you they have a body shop in house, will then tell you that they use a shop in N. Bergen County, NJ. The appraiser will likely give a very high estimate (e.g., $1100 to replace a front fender; parts over the counter at smart center manhattan dealership are $207 inc. tax, so they estimate $900 labor to replace the fender...) indicating that they are not particularly motivated to take your order.

others here have estimated labor time for an experienced smart body tech at < 1 hr. The parts can be had marginally cheaper out of the city, but I haven't found anyone yet that actually does the work in house.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
You can always try crossing the Hudson to smartcenter Englewood in NJ....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
"You can always try crossing the Hudson to smartcenter Englewood in NJ...."

who also farms out their body work, if somewhat more locally, to at least two shops, I am told and whose body department has trouble picking up the phone ;-)

crossing the Hudson isn't difficult, but I'd like to get some basic information before I commit to doing so, as it costs $10 to drive back over the bridge ;-)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the posts. Looks like I'm taking it to the Manhattan Mercedes/Smart Center but they have an in house Merc repair shop that is in Secacuse NJ that is has to go to since it has to be towed. They only work on drivable cars in Manhattan. Geico is providing the tow. The Merc brings it back into the city for me to pick up. They claim this is a Mercedes owned facility not a sub.

Estimate from Geico seemed reasonable 4k and change for all plastic forward of the doors (both sides) with windshield, Brabus spoiler, radiator support frame, possible radiator, Head lights and fog lights (both of which look undamaged just relocated) misc. small bits etc.

Collision Manager at the Merc dealer was pretty easy to deal with and responsive as was the Geico Estimator. I'm actually quite shocked and I'm kind of waiting for this to get ugly but will just have to wait and see.

Thanks again,

Blade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode