User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NYC area non-dealer maintenance

Hello all..

This sub-sections for New York seems a little quiet, but I'm hoping there's still many of you lurking around on here.

I've done a search for the answer to my question, and I can't really see a previous thread that applies, so I'm going to ask it here. My apologies if I missed it somewhere else.

Now that my car is far outside of the warranty period (have an 08 with 40K on it), I'm getting real sick of paying Mercedes pricing on labor and parts for standard maintenance items. (I just spent over $500 on the 40K service at Smart Center Manhattan, the majority of which was labor..)

I'm hoping to find a local mechanic in our area that has experience with Smart cars that people trust. Because our car is so unique, I'd like to find somebody who I doesn't have to ask me where the engine is and if it runs on gas. (Sarcasm, but you get the idea..)

For instance, I need new front tires. The dealership wants $160 per tire (which includes the cost of balancing each) and then more money on top of that for the alignment.

I can buy the tires online for $70/each.. If I could only find somebody I trusted to deal with the air pressure monitoring and the alignment correctly.

Does anybody have any positive experience with any local business in NYC in regards to servicing their smart?

Thanks,

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM

you don't have to go to the dealer for tires, go to tirerack, and have a tire shop put them on. TPMS are in the rim, they don't touch them when they mount tires. Oil changes are easy, you can take it to a pepboys and just have them put in synthetic oil and change the filter. They only thing they can't to is reset the maintenance clock.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,774 Times in 3,494 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
You can reset the maintenance indicator:

The Following User Says Thank You to jwight For This Useful Post:
BRokicki (08-19-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM

Now a few years later, has anyone used any good mechanic familiar with smart cars? I'm in the market for a 2015 electric fortwo and need someone to look at it before I buy it and maybe if issues arise afterwards

Tags
maintenance , nyc , service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode