Smart Car of America Forum banner

NYC Road Dashes

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  twcom 
#1 ·
Looking for Company on some runs from now into the Fall. Old Mine RD in the Delaware Water Gap area is one drive listed as a good run. NY 97 to HawKs Nest is another nice looking run. Get an early start and enjoy a day of driving. Anyone care to take their Smart out for a ride shout out.

Today I drove 73 miles North up the Taconic State Parkway to Sylvan Lake exit. Then 15 miles of nice winding roads passing through Paterson NY. A Grey AC Cobra, a Black Tesla and a Grey Dodge Hellcat driving in the opposite direction all gave The Harlem Edition a big thumbs up, it made me smile. Just past Patterson picked up I 84 to I 684 50 miles South and down the Hutchinson River Parkway back to Yonkers NY Cross County Parkway. Cross County across to the Henry Hudson 15 miles and Under the George Washington Bridge coasted back into Harlem NY. Really Nice Drive

Drive Highlight; I had just opened a bag of Wise Onion Garlic Potato Chips with my bottle of Gatorade Zero in my lap, when a Blue Mini Cooper Drop Top with racing stripes and Chrome seat roll bars run up on me just before the Taconic goes from three lanes to two. There were three in the car and we gave each other thumbs up running about 70 mph. The Mini drove away from me with power. I managed to keep the shinny chrome roll bars just in sight as I finished my chips and took a big swig of Gatorade. I put the top on tight and dropped the Gatorade in the passenger side foot well. Wiped the grease off my fingers, on my pants legs of course. Then I ran that Mini Cooper down, catching them at a real winding stretch He saw me too late. He was still in the fast lane. I dipped into forth and went By at 85 just as a 50 mph corner caution sign showed up, A touch of brake, dip to 3rd through the up hill corner, signal to the fast lane over the incline, back to 4th the road is down hill now, three nice corners later, back in 5th just starting to see the Chrome Roll bars in the rear view mirror, but now about six cars separated us. With My Smart running on rails and the Mini with the top down and the 2 extra grown people weight inside, and traffic to weave through, it would take a great effort to run me down and they never did. At the I 84 exchange I kept straight and slowed down to 65 as I fished the Gatorade bottle from the floor. I coasted about 2 miles with no sight of them I assumed I 84 was the Mini's exit. I exited shortly after at Sylvan Lake. Smiling

Gonna Run to Hawks Nest tomorrow I hope.

See less See more
#2 ·
Didn't get to Hawks Nest today ...... instead I drove both Rt 301 from Brewster NY to Cold Springs NY and Seven Lakes Drive.

RT 301 is a Great road. Up hill corners, down hill sweeps, esses, switch backs, Hairpins and no rough patches. That was much fun to drive and the trees and lakes a nice bonus.less than an hour and a half from Manhattan. Good Smart exercise road. A paddle shifters pleasure. Ill run that again in the fall.

Coming out of Cold springs NY On RT 9D South You run right in to Seven Lakes Drive as you cross the Bear Mountain Bridge So I couldn't pass it up. It is nice and scenic but it is a 40 MPH limit road and not as winding. You do pass seven beautiful Lakes.

Then I jumped on the highway and headed home with a nice Tappan Zee bridge, Sawmill River Parkway, Henry Hudson Parkway transition back to Harlem.

This was a beautiful week end of Smart driving.

#10 ·
We just recently sold some property up in Livingston manor which is exit 98 Parksville Coley road off route 17 town is Willowemoc. I hope while you were up that way, you stopped in Tilly’s 1950’s diner in Monticello? Crazy reasonable prices and good breakfast can be found there.
We have taken some good rides through Jeffersonville on our way to Calliccoon onto Hornsdale PA.
Another sweet ride is route 209 from Ellenville NY to Stroudsburg PA.
Come spring time we would love to go on a run with some fellow smart owners. We usually cruise around the East end of Long island “Hamptons” with a run planned next week up to Foxwoods in Connecticut.
Paula

#9 ·
https://www.monticellomotorclub.com/taste-of-the-track/

So there will be a point where I will have my Smart ready to run this track as it is on the Harlem Edition's "Bucket List". In Tweaking the car for the West Coast Pacific Coast Highway run, its actually lest track happy and more of a highway cruiser right now. I miss those Yolohama S Drive tires for cornering but the car is much more comfortable on the taller Hankooks. When I run this track it will be on Yokohama S Drives I will have to hunt down a set as they are discontinued at this time. Mean while next fall is the time schedule so put away 5 dollars a day x 365 days and there is the 1700.00 track fee. And this is the Inspiration Poster for the Monticello Club Track run/photo day.

#8 ·
I've outrun a Hayabusa with my vintage Goldwing before. Always fun to beat a faster vehicle by being a better driver/rider, having less weight, or having your vehicle be in better condition. :D

#12 ·
Good evening,
One of our favorites is a run to Montauk which brings you through some historic towns. The roads are smooth as glass out East. Next week we will be heading out to Orient Point which is also a pleasant ride up the North Folk, hopping the ferry over to New London. We live three towns East of Stony Brook. If your out this way, have some extra time and would like to meet for a cup of Joe and some sinkers give us a holler.
Paula

#15 ·
Before I find myself quarantined for fourteen days....... its such a pretty sunny day, time for a NY Road Dash

Waze navigation set to Hunter Mountain Catksills region. Gas tank Full, couple bottles of water (I gave up sugar for Lent) Camera battery full, Looking for route 23a, Its an instrumental music kind of day do want to here what any one has to say Just me and my Smart. A few pics a bite to eat and let the memories soak in , See Ya in a couple of hours,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.