Smart Car of America Forum banner

smart car Cruise Control with LED by MDC

21K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  laifrat 
#1 ·
Enjoy the long drives in your smart car with this high quality cruise control module that is specifically designed for your smart car.

The newest version of this well know cruise control now comes with an adjustable speed booster module! This module helps to eliminates the lag that is caused by the smart car drive by wire system. The Speed Booster is a $300+ value and now comes built in with this unit. (Please note! The Speed Booster feature is a software feature that comes with this unit. It is not a Sprint Booster Module that is manufactured by another company. We also offer the stand alone Sprint Booster Plug in Module. Please check our other listings for the Sprint Booster Module.)

This unit is manufactured in Germany and uses Delphi/smart parts. These cruise control units have been installed in thousands of smart cars around the world and offer features not found in competing units.

More smart car dealers worldwide and now in US install this unit over any other due to the ease of installation and use.

In addition, this unit is much easier to install than other units that are available in the marketplace and looks like it belongs in your smart car. Everything is plug and play. There is no need to cut or splice wires and the unit can be unplugged and taken out of the car if needed.

The unit comes with all the safety features you would expect and is a fantastic addition to your smart car.

For more details click the link below or give us a call at 562 981-6800

Coupe
smart car Cruise Control w/LED by MDC - 451 Coupe Model

Cabrio
smart car Cruise Control w/LED by MDC - 451 Cabrio model

See less See more
#2 ·
Would like to get the CC. If and when I do I am thinking of putting the LED on the top steering wheel cover just to the left of the control stick. At about what mph would that dead throttle happen, do you think? If it's after, say, 75 mph, then I'm not sure I would care. And I really want the CC..should I get the MDC or the other one?

#7 ·
It seems to me the 451 is harder to install, but more settings for the pedal. I'd like to have the 451, but afraid to install it myself.
Believe me, it's not that hard to install, even with jumping the pins on the ECM.

The difference in "difficulty" between wadding yourself up in the driver's footwell to get to the throttle pedal plug (MDC) and running a cable from the dash to the right rear ECM box & jumping plugs (Area451) is as close as makes zero difference at all; if you want to instll your own cruise control, you're going to have to be uncomfortable for a brief period of time. But the payoff is more than worth it, for either system.

As for drilling a hole for the LED, you can always slip it into the dash cluster to light up the cruise control icon that's already there, same as the Area451... Just takes a bit of TLC with the dash cluster and adapting John H's video instructions, is all.

#6 ·
Speed booster question - Bought my '09 Passion a year ago (yesterday) It had the MDC cruise installed, (although when I bought it I wasn't aware of it & it made for some embarrassing questions on here when I encountered max speed while trying to adjust the wipers!)
It did not have the LED installed, so awhile ago, I bought one & installed it on the cowl behind the steering wheel. I just got around to trying to set the speed booster, following the instructions as closely as I can - key on, motor not running - hold button for 20 sec.- wait for 1, 2 - 5 blinks - Nothing changes, never get the 1 - 5 blinks, never get yellow. Red blinks initially, then if I press the button, it'll toggle between red & green but not blinking. Turn off the ignition, start the car & go for a test drive - cruise still works great, but nothing has changed. Is it possible that I have an earlier model that doesn't have speed boost? Or am I just not doing it right?

#17 ·
2013 Cruise Icon??

Has anyone installed the MDC 451 cruise LED light in a 2013 speedo housing?

I installed an MDC unit in a 2010 cabrio and I installed the LED behind the "cruise" icon in the top right chamber of the speedo surround. There have been some changes in the speedo face and the icon images in the right side idiot lights. I just wanted to make sure the cruise icon was still there.

Thanks, in advance,

Dave

#18 ·
I just installed one of these in my 2013 451 coupé: the install was easy except for drilling the hole :eek:
It seems to work well, especially with the speed control circuitry set to "moderate". My only issues are an occasional, randomly occurring disengagement which I can't link to any external event like a particularly vicious bump in the road. Easy enough to overcome, I just rotate to "cont". I'm assuming the unit is getting a glitch message from the system because the system is still on, just disengaged. Anybody else had this issue?
I still don't understand the "- set" setting. I know I can decelerate when the cruise control is engaged, but it doesn't seem to work to set the speed when the CC is "on".

#19 ·
I had that experience with a couple of MDC modules. I purchased my MDC cruise control from Smart Madness and had them install it. I think I am on my 3rd module and it works perfect. Doesn't randomly shut off like the other units did. I used it extensively on my very recent 3300 mile round trip to the 2016 Nationals, with no issues. It syncs very well with the transmission and will downshift when going up a grade in D, when necessary. In manual mode, if you don't downshift, it will also drop down to a lower gear and still try and maintain the set speed. I am pleased with the MDC units performance.

#22 ·
I am on my second smart with the MDC unit. My first car/unit (2010) had no issues. This second car/unit (2013) does randomly drop out but it is fairly infrequent and easy to return to speed with a twist of the control ring.

Is this a defective unit that Smart Madness will replace/fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.