LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
This was included in the reply (posted in another thread): "All of our authorized dealerships are independently owned and operated. "

That's really the issue IMHO - unless one of the M-B dealerships makes a business decision to take on selling smarts there's nothing M-B USA can do (including threatening to take away their franchise - I'd like to see that lawsuit!) So, this will be decided (again, IMHO) on a purely business basis.
Two IMHO's punctuated by a smiley face from Ohio becomes an "I told you so" that is faint praise for those of us in the midst of the struggle. We know that it is always about "business." But, it is our "business" to make it happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the biggest mistake is that they are handling the smart as a different item than the other MB cars. The m in smart stands for Mercedise, it has always been a M and if they are a MB dealer it should be handled as any other new model. Of course that is just my oppinion.
post #13 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Two IMHO's punctuated by a smiley face from Ohio becomes an "I told you so" that is faint praise for those of us in the midst of the struggle. We know that it is always about "business." But, it is our "business" to make it happen.
I don't think that was his intention at all. He is correct, MBUSA cannot force any dealership to take on the smart brand. When a contract expires, they can choose not to renew it, but they can't force it down anybodies throat. Depending on the wording of the local franchise contracts, they may be able to force their hand at renewal time and say:" take the smart, or lose the franchise", but in the middle of a contract, they are pretty much helpless.

Maybe the real problem lies within your local MB dealerships? They may be smiling and friendly on the outside when you discuss smarts with them, but secretly.... they may just want you out the door. They don't want you to leave upset, afterall, you may eventually want to move up to a MB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteNBlack08 For This Useful Post:
jwight (08-11-2011), kennyrayandersen (08-11-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 View Post
I don't think that was his intention at all. He is correct, MBUSA cannot force any dealership to take on the smart brand. When a contract expires, they can choose not to renew it, but they can't force it down anybodies throat. Depending on the wording of the local franchise contracts, they may be able to force their hand at renewal time and say:" take the smart, or lose the franchise", but in the middle of a contract, they are pretty much helpless.

Maybe the real problem lies within your local MB dealerships? They may be smiling and friendly on the outside when you discuss smarts with them, but secretly.... they may just want you out the door. They don't want you to leave upset, afterall, you may eventually want to move up to a MB.
Smiling and friendly, maybe, but when they comment, "Isn't the engine Japanese and the car made in France?" they tip their hand. However, I agree with your analysis and with the reality of a reduced 2011 inventory stateside, "next year" might be all we can hope for here in Mn.
post #15 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I downloaded a picture from smart insider. Go to Gallery, move to extreme smart cars, click on smart Benz. If the smart really looked like this there never would have been a problem.
post #16 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 View Post

I called the MB dealership here in Fargo to see if they would service my car. The woman SOUNDED sweet until I said the words "smart fortwo." She said "No!" and promptly hung up. She didn't even give me the chance to ask if they knew of any place that would or even thank her.

Looks like I need to study those videos and do my own service...

post #17 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsMommy View Post
I called the MB dealership here in Fargo to see if they would service my car. The woman SOUNDED sweet until I said the words "smart fortwo." She said "No!" and promptly hung up. She didn't even give me the chance to ask if they knew of any place that would or even thank her.

Ouch!

That's just bad customer service, even if they don't want your business. I've never really seen myself as the type who would drive a MB, but this whole experience gives me a very dimm view of them.
post #18 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsMommy View Post

If I were you, I'd call the MBUSA toll free number and report that dealership immediately. No matter what you drive, you just don't treat people that way.
post #19 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
This was included in the reply (posted in another thread): "All of our authorized dealerships are independently owned and operated. "

That's really the issue IMHO - unless one of the M-B dealerships makes a business decision to take on selling smarts there's nothing M-B USA can do (including threatening to take away their franchise - I'd like to see that lawsuit!) So, this will be decided (again, IMHO) on a purely business basis.
B***S***.....; theres a lot MB can do. I don't care if they ever sell another car, Smart or otherwise, all I care about is getting what I paid for.....a car with a warranty. If none of their MB dealers want to handle Smarts so what, money talks & BS walks, have an independant shop nearby to the old one handle warranty claims until the suckers warranty expires & then write off the smart brand as a good idea that didn't quite work out & move on. As far as I can tell the brand is dead & MB is cutting its losses.
post #20 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Garage
Quote:

I wonder if MB could threaten their independant dealers with opening additional franchises (that would also sell smarts).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode