LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Aggravated Assault/Road Rage...Because I drive a Smart Car

All,

Today marks the fourth or fifth time, since ownership of 9 months, I have been almost ran off the road, cut-off, screamed at, cussed out because I own a Smart.

The reason why I am starting this thread is to let all of you, traveling, visiting, etc...be aware of the ignorant, angry, lunatic, self-absorbed ******* drivers we encounter here in Indy day by day.

As I was on my lunch break from work, I work on Monument circle, I decided to take the car back home to Greenwood to cook up some quick food. On my way back, I followed a construction F350 diesel truck in traffic from my apartment to where US-135, Old South Meridian) splits into two lanes. At that point, I went to pass him because I was trying to get back to work on time as he was doing 10mph below the speed limit. As I sped up, he cut me off, drove down the middle of the road, as well as kept swerving with no turn signals to keep me from passing him. Ready to turn, he swerved at me one again forcing me to swerve into the shoulder.

When we got downtown, I decided to turn to the garage for work where he blew a red light to follow me and demanded I roll down my window. As I grabbed my .45 handgun from the glovebox and placed it in my lap, he rolls down his window, with his wife with him, he continues to call me obscenities, cuss me out, and verbally threatening my car all because I passed him in a smart car and he didn't like it. I might of followed him too close for his liking, but our cars have no front end, our view of the road is different from the average driver. :eek:

As I told him he was truely messing with the wrong person and that his next actions would be permanently change his life, the light turned green, he sped off with his middle finger hanging out the window. I then called the police's non-emergency line and told them the license plate number and emailed them a picture of his truck with his face to hopefully have him arrested for aggravated, road rage, assault.

(Don't know if that's the formal terms or not, but eh...close enough).

All in all, some days I truely feel not safe driving my car around Indianapolis just because it's a Smart car and how society views them, NOT becuase of any 'Physics Laws' or 'how small the car is to be squished' or 'it can roll over easy'.

Today pushed the limit for me and I'm truely thinking of trading in my lease to get a different car, what your thoughts and opinions? This city is horrible for arrogance.

Any other Indy drivers out there? If so, how are your cruises?

----

As part of this road rage goes to my car being customized, I do plan on removing most of the customaztion to make it appear more stock and hope to god that reduces the amount of incidents I am involved with.

Make sense?

Last edited by rossboss08; 08-02-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Forgot More Information
The Following User Says Thank You to rossboss08 For This Useful Post:
Pee-wee Germa (08-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Bleh...
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
If you let other people's actions dictate your life....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chieftmc For This Useful Post:
dancote (08-03-2013), jkjahobbs (08-03-2013), kennyrayandersen (08-03-2013), Miss Mercedes (08-03-2013), Snefferdoodle (08-06-2013), The Rigger (08-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,440 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossboss08 View Post
Bleh...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB DNA For This Useful Post:
jkjahobbs (08-03-2013), rossboss08 (08-02-2013)
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I've got a club behind the seat, only pulled it out once. No problems!
The Following User Says Thank You to tgobie50 For This Useful Post:
rossboss08 (08-02-2013)
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,561 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Dashcam=proof.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretchmobile For This Useful Post:
dancote (08-03-2013), jkjahobbs (08-03-2013), kennyrayandersen (08-03-2013), NCC1701 (08-02-2013), rossboss08 (08-02-2013)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Never surrender.

I've dealt with people like that for four years, who let their insecurities dictate their responses. If I had a nickel for every ******* who refused to let a small car pass his 4WD gas-guzzler... Well... I'd have a lot of nickels.

So what? It's *MY* car. You did pretty much exactly what I'd've done in your circumstances... Kept your cool, prepared for an ugly ending... You did it textbook. I'd've just had a different caliber of "insurance" is all. Well done.

Let the Indy cops deal with it from here. If they gave you a report number from your phone call today, call them in a few days and follow up. Don't let this ******* off the hook; he's obviously too psychotic to be allowed loose on the public thoroughfares.

(and yes; although I'm from Michigan, I too have had an encounter or two of the unattractive kind in Your Fair City... Up in Fishers, near the Fry's store, to be precise.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Rigger For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (08-03-2013), rossboss08 (08-02-2013)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It's the same all over my friend!

The smart commands attention, whether it's good or bad it gets it.

I drive a 97 Pathfinder, and my smart to work for the past 2 and a half years.
There are at least 5 commuters that will harass the smart but if I present the rear-end of my Pathy they gladly let me in. I commute with my wife so there is no room for childish games but don't get me wrong, every time I see one of the smart haters and I'm in Pathy, I make a point to have my wife take note of the difference in attitude.

2 days ago I had a full sized p-up on my ass in 30 MPH traffic. I just pulled over to the next lane to let him go but he dropped back, so I just stayed in my lane until I needed to get over for a left turn and...

Fkn p-up farted out a huge diesel cloud and came charging in! But, I was not staying in that lane for long, I was crossing over it to get to a left turn lane. So right about the time he was back on my ass, I was dipping out of the lane to the turn lane.

What happened next?

Truck drivers middle finger out the window!

So yeah man, I understand. I use to get out of cars when this kind of thing happened, but now I just roll to the side of the road and let them keep on going. Sometimes they slow down while they look in the mirror trying to see what your doing, but most of the time they continue on. They would have to have pretty bad judgement to come back to a parked car, and at that point you can just sit and wait for his life changing decision to take place right in front of you. Preferable with a dash cam running.

If you notice, it's all about interfering in the route of the smart. They slow down and swerve all over so you don't pass, they speed up to push you along faster then they will go after passing you.

Keep your smart and a smile on while you drive.
My friends always told me I looked pissed when I was driving. I think that's why I dealt with some of the same incidents you have when I first got my smart. Now I try to remember to smile when I'm in it and I have had 10 compliments for every negative incident since then.

Good luck my friend!

Oh, one more thing. Use it to your advantage. You know it's going to happen so now you can use you newly acquired Jedi skill to trigger other drivers to speed up or slow down.

Last edited by tablist180; 08-02-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Jedi mind controll
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tablist180 For This Useful Post:
rossboss08 (08-05-2013), Snefferdoodle (08-06-2013)
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
...and that's one of the reasons I love the hair dryer...
...when they come close enough and try to "intimidate" me I just go and let them play catch up...most of the time they can not...

Jetfuel...thanks Paul...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jetfuel For This Useful Post:
chieftmc (08-03-2013), dancote (08-03-2013), HGB (08-03-2013), kennyrayandersen (08-03-2013), Miss Mercedes (08-03-2013), rossboss08 (08-05-2013)
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
DrKillerBee
SCOA Club

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Not an unknown problem...have had a similar experience on the highway somewhere near the IN/IL border. I changed the wink sign on the back of the car to an American flag and haven't had the problem since. I have had a ton of thumbs up signs from people that like the car.
Some have had problems with young "trucker" kids combined with alcohol (especially from a fellow smartie in Arkansas) on this forum who was run off the road a few times.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode