Anybody installing a ham radio in the smart? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club
 
nscaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 968
Thanks: 5
Thanked 100 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody installing a ham radio in the smart?

I am a Ham (KE6VUP) and I'm trying to figure out how to install an antenna on a Smart cabrio. Maybe a mount on the side of the tridon cell? I have the 1216 reservation #, so I know it will be a while till I even get the car. Any of you lucky Europeans or Canucks have any ideas? Pictures of the area around the top of the cell area with the top down would help.
nscaler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Smart A**
SCOA Club
 
lhoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DC Area (Silver Spring)
Posts: 1,141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscaler View Post
I am a Ham (KE6VUP) and I'm trying to figure out how to install an antenna on a Smart cabrio. Maybe a mount on the side of the tridon cell? I have the 1216 reservation #, so I know it will be a while till I even get the car. Any of you lucky Europeans or Canucks have any ideas? Pictures of the area around the top of the cell area with the top down would help.
Please explain to me the reason for a HAM rig in a car. I'm really curious.
lhoboy is offline  
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Closed
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gone my own way
Posts: 3,834
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not a HAM, but I do maintain a GMDSS R/O's license. So, my best guess to keep in long range comms (MF) with the other smart HAMs is to fly about 500ft of aerial wire held aloft by a big balloon. But not so big a balloon that it lifts the smart too far off the ground! Gonn'a need to keep a ground.
Old smart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club
 
nscaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 968
Thanks: 5
Thanked 100 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoboy View Post
Please explain to me the reason for a HAM rig in a car. I'm really curious.
A ham radio is for talking to other ham radio operators. To increase your range, the bigger the antenna you use the better. Another way to increase the range is to have a ground plane. On my Ford Explorer, I have two antennas on the roof. The top of the truck is the ground plane. Any flat piece of metal under the antenna will help bring in a better signal. The bigger the plane, the better. I could actually put a large cookie pan (from the oven. Really!) on the inside of the soft top and put a magnetic mount antenna on the roof. The magnet would hold the pan up on the ceiling through the fabric. And it would work... until I want to put the top down.
If I could mount the antenna on the side of the tridon cell with the antenna pointing up, I would get some ground pane from the roll bar over the top. Not much, but some.
I work with RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service) and would like to have a ham radio in the Smart if I happen to be in the car when something bad happens (like the last five days here in San Diego County - 500,000 homes evacuated by last Tueday).
Even the plastic top (of the other models) would not work as a ground plane.
I have two radios in the Exlporer right now. One in the Smart would be great.
Just checking my options. Maybe someone else has found a workaround?
nscaler is offline  
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm KU5M, and have similar concerns. I'm thinking there may be a way to use one of the latest trunk mounts, assuming the safety cell is accessible to use. It may be that attachment to the cell's door area would handle your needs. I'm assuming you are talking about UHF or VHF, and not HF antennas. For an HF antenna, mounting it off the side of the cell may be your only option. (Unless you can drill through the rear bumper fascia to reach ground and a strong enough support.) Good luck and 73.
joefoto is offline  
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club
 
nscaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 968
Thanks: 5
Thanked 100 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefoto View Post
I'm KU5M, and have similar concerns. I'm thinking there may be a way to use one of the latest trunk mounts, assuming the safety cell is accessible to use. It may be that attachment to the cell's door area would handle your needs. I'm assuming you are talking about UHF or VHF, and not HF antennas. For an HF antenna, mounting it off the side of the cell may be your only option. (Unless you can drill through the rear bumper fascia to reach ground and a strong enough support.) Good luck and 73.
Thanks joefoto! UHF and VHF only.
nscaler is offline  
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM
SCOA Club
 
DaveInTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Allen, Texas Reservation #13
Posts: 275
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on using the Larsen Kulglass mount dual band antenna.



Kulglass™ Series High Performance Glass Mount Antennas
Larsen’s Kulglass™ series uses a patented low impedance design and advanced materials to produce the world’s best on-glass antenna.
The KG uses advanced resin polymer plastic to completely enclose the circuit board or loading coil for mechanical durability
and weather resistance. 3M™s best adhesive tape, plus Larsen’s unique bonding enhancer ensure the best possible grip to the glass.
DaveInTexas is offline  
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club
 
nscaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 968
Thanks: 5
Thanked 100 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
I plan on using the Larsen Kulglass mount dual band antenna.



Kulglass™ Series High Performance Glass Mount Antennas
Larsen’s Kulglass™ series uses a patented low impedance design and advanced materials to produce the world’s best on-glass antenna.
The KG uses advanced resin polymer plastic to completely enclose the circuit board or loading coil for mechanical durability
and weather resistance. 3M™s best adhesive tape, plus Larsen’s unique bonding enhancer ensure the best possible grip to the glass.
Are you going to put it on the windshield? This would work, but only on the windshield of the Cabrio.
nscaler is offline  
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
SCOA Club
 
DaveInTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Allen, Texas Reservation #13
Posts: 275
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscaler View Post
Are you going to put it on the windshield? This would work, but only on the windshield of the Cabrio.
Yes, I have placed one on the Honda windshield before, because I couldn't find a decent monting place for a trunk lip mount. Actually it was the K-600 Diamond mount and the lip on the trunk was beveled slightly causing the mount to stick up.

Got to make sure the window antenna clears the wipers though.
DaveInTexas is offline  
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BLUFFTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
Posts: 175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
good to see there are others out there

I am W4QNW and back in 01 02 03 I mounted a large magnetic base to the side cell and had a 20m ham stick antenna.

it worked well but in the end it was more of a distraction than i needed.

It was the first smart in the states so you can imagin how much time i had left for hamming after trying to answer questions like

is dat won of dem lectric hibids??
(that was while i was filling up at the pump)

good luck and keep in touch with what you decided to do.

chuck
smartcarparts is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
451 interior/radio smartcar smart fortwo (451 - US vehicle) 18 03-25-2008 06:14 AM
Radio/CD capabilities dbwill smart General Discussion 1 10-16-2007 08:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.