14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Cabin air filter questions and comments

I had started to swap out my cabin air filter the other day, but the wet weather got to my old bones and my arthritis acted up enough that it was just not any fun bending down at the driver's side to open that little door by the gas pedal and swap out the air filter there. I didn't get it done and I decided to give it a different approach today to see if I could easily swap the thing out if it needed it. I have no clue if it is the original or had been swaped by the previous owner.

My approach today was to climb in the passenger seat and wriggle into a position so I could lay down and get to the driver's side. No luck with this position so I moved the car over to the edge of the drive and went back to kneeling at the driver side door to get at it. Ouch! My old bones don't bend as easily as they used to and the wet weather outside flared up my arthritis once again. However, I did at least get the long, thin, plastic hatch door off and could try the screwdriver blade trick to try to wedge the filter out of it's hidey hole. No luck with that though and there is absolutely no tab to grab onto to get the filter to budge. Why would anyone not put a tab on such is beyond me.

Any rate, it is another task for later, as I now have that door off, but the filter remains in place. Looks like a charcoal filter from what I can see of it. Any rate, are there any other special tricks to removal of the cabin air filter? I have looked at the videos, but that process just has not worked for me, so far. I have a small hook set that I may jam in there and try to latch it if necessary, but I really don't want to make it bulge out and jam in place by any means.

It will have to wait until the wet weather passes us by, as Mr. Author-Itis is no friend of mine at present and I'll have to wait until my bones are a bit more flexible to start this task up again. Thanks for any additional info or tips. I appreciate it.

On a positive note, I did get an aluminum bar cut and fitted to hold that darn piece of carpet covering my engine bay out of the way for any servicing. Works pretty well. I had some bookbinding tape that I patched the areas I had accidentally buggered up with the handle of my hacksaw when removing the black monster that lurked beneath my engine bay cover. That foam piece is pretty bad and rotting away, probably from heat and dryness. I am too cheap to order a complete replacement carpet set though. I also found a metal clothes rack hangar that fits across the back and hooks up to hang shirts and such. Probably don't need it at all, but nice to know it will work if it is needed. If it is stable enough, I may be able to rig my GoPro camera there with a special mount I have for it, but I somehow think it is not going to be that stable and will swing too easy with the weight of the camera and mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Open the door, pull out the filter - works every time.

PS - there is a hook on the engine cover carpet that will keep it up.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, I spent enough time in trying to remove the filter earlier today, so it simply does not pull right out for me as easy as it does for you. I'll try some small, thin forceps to grab it by the edge tomorrow. I'll add a tape tab piece for easier removal when I install a new cabin filter.
NCC1701 and Duckhunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Garage
They have always slid right out for me maybe someone got a little forceful and jammed it in ,bowing it a bit. you might have to get a little forceful to remove it. Or maybe it has never been changed and the air pressure bowed the center out. the forceps sounds like it might work.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:12 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe somebody jammed an incorrect (oversized) filter into the box. I've changed a bunch of them and never had one that didn't slide right out.
jwight, NCC1701, mvaldes and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My forceps worked great to nab the culprit for removal. Pretty dirty, but does not show as bad in photos as it actually appears in person. No problem to add a tape tab in any further replacement though. My old filter in my critter sure was a thick one though.

Have to go see about obtaining a new filter. I am assuming that the point of the arrow showing on the cartridge is towards the rear of the car when the new filter is properly inserted?

Glad this task is near done and is not a weekly task, too.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psziji3oeb.jpg
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Garage
You can pick up a Fram filter at Wal mart for quite a bit less than the dealership. They are a touch thinner but still have the carbon impregnated element, works great. I usually wait until the planting and field work is done before I replace mine. I drive by a lot of farmland.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...-prices-19176/

arrow shows the direction of the air flow
jwight likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I went to Wally World first, but nothing in stock at any of the 4 stores in my area. AutoZone had none either, so I ordered one at Advance Auto Parts and it was the last one in stock from their Lawton, OK store. It will arrive tomorrow.

What is the Fram part #, please?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
cf 10132.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smart Bob For This Useful Post:
jwight (04-27-2015)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the p/n.

I have to go to Wally World later today and I'll check to see if they now have any in stock there. Never hurts to have a spare, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode