post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,645 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
**If You Use a Computer You Need to Read This!!!**

Alright folks, so there's a massive ransomware virus spreading globally at this very moment. So far, the US hasn't been hit that hard but please do not expect that it's not going to get worse. Prepare yourself.

What is it?

In short, it's a virus that once installed, encrypts all the data on your computer. You have the choice of paying ransom for your data back or losing everything. Your chances of getting that data back after paying is slim in the first place (after all, it's a scam), so please try your best to not get infected. Here's what you can do:

1. UPDATE!! If you're on a Mac, you have nothing to worry about. If you're on Windows, make sure you get every update you can.

2. Limit Internet connectivity. Even with the patch installed, you can still get infected. I would advise disconnecting your PC from the Internet (or turning it off) when you're not using it.

3. Don't open anything suspicious. Is your email saying you sent a payment to someone and you don't remember doing something like that? Delete the email, don't open it!

4. Know what you're downloading. Be careful doing things like torrents or downloading email attachments.

5. Backup backup backup! Backup your data. This means that even if you do get hit, you still have the last laugh as you archived everything before you got hit.

EternalBlue Vulnerability

Good luck everyone!
jsenka, kheran, kilted and 2 others like this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
jsenka (05-12-2017), Rich M (05-14-2017), Smart Bob (05-12-2017), strelnik (06-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a Linux kind of guy, although I am posting this with Chrome OS, nothing to worry about on those OS's either.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 PM

Thanked 1,230 Times in 875 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Thank You Steve Jobs.
magilly00, Blaine and Ataki like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
British guy figures out how to kill it: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-22...135639341.html
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hopefully the hackers won't create a mutation of it that ignores that domain. Smart hackers would create multiple mutations, amateurs won't.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
Alright folks, so there's a massive ransomware virus spreading globally at this very moment. So far, the US hasn't been hit that hard but please do not expect that it's not going to get worse. Prepare yourself.

What is it?

In short, it's a virus that once installed, encrypts all the data on your computer. You have the choice of paying ransom for your data back or losing everything. Your chances of getting that data back after paying is slim in the first place (after all, it's a scam), so please try your best to not get infected. Here's what you can do:

1. UPDATE!! If you're on a Mac, you have nothing to worry about. If you're on Windows, make sure you get every update you can.

2. Limit Internet connectivity. Even with the patch installed, you can still get infected. I would advise disconnecting your PC from the Internet (or turning it off) when you're not using it.

3. Don't open anything suspicious. Is your email saying you sent a payment to someone and you don't remember doing something like that? Delete the email, don't open it!

4. Know what you're downloading. Be careful doing things like torrents or downloading email attachments.

5. Backup backup backup! Backup your data. This means that even if you do get hit, you still have the last laugh as you archived everything before you got hit.

EternalBlue Vulnerability

Good luck everyone!
I think in general everything you mention is important all the time. I'm on a Mac but I still follow the same protocol you posted for links and emails. We have a separate laptop that is used for downloads/torrents that is not linked to any other computers on the network.

I also do not have file sharing turned on between any of our computers, I use good old sneaker net and a USB stick for file transfers even though our house is wired for gigabit ethernet though a switch.

Backups are also important, I also like to replace my hard drives every couple of years for several reasons, not the least of which is that as time goes on there is a much greater risk of a catastrophic failure that will take everything with it and with todays huge HD sizes you loose a lot. I just put a 2 TB hard drive in my laptop and run 2 TB in my desktop plus an additional 10TB to backup my photos which are on a hard drive that is independent of the boot drive in the desktop. And again same drill with replacing the drives every couple of years.
Miss Mercedes likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Niteshooter For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (05-14-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode