Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Need some Android help

Any experts out there? Having trouble with some mp3 files not playing on the Android music player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if I'm an expert, but I certainly have experience. When you refer to "the Android music player", do you mean Google Play Music, or another app that calls itself "Music Player" (I know Android used to have a generic music player, and certain device manufacturers bundle in their own branded music players too).

If you aren't using Google Play Music, more info may be required. Some players don't have the codecs necessary to play certain files, but I've found Google Play Music is pretty good for file playback (Should be available from the Play Store). There are other players that are good as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
No, these mp3s won't play in Google Play, the native Music Player on the tablet or in any of several 3rd party players I tried and discarded. The files were copied to an external sd card from a PC - at one point the music players would see all the files - now they only see the ones they'll play. As far as I can tell each file is a real mp3 - the only difference is the ones that play don't have any artist or album info, and no album art. Some sort of voodoo at work....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you've done your due diligence. I assume you've tried playing the files on your PC (and they work)? The player that I would think is most likely to play the files on Android would be VLC for Android ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vlc.betav7neon ). If that doesn't play the files, I doubt anything will.

If none of that works, and the file plays on the computer, you may need to re-encode the files. The amount of effort that you want to put in may vary depending on how important the files are. What's the source of the files? (Or, put another way, how confident are you that the file was generated by someone who knows what they're doing?)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:13 PM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,761 Times in 868 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Are you sure they're not .WMA files that someone has renamed to .MP3? If they were ripped by Windows Media Player, it wants to default to .WMA and pull in album art, etc. If they were just renamed, that of course wouldn't allow them to play on an Android device, but they could still play on a PC through Windows Media Player (although I would expect some type of message about the format not matching the extension).

You could try to use a free sound editor like Audacity, import the files (which will work if they are truly MP3), then export them as MP3 again (you'll need the LAME MP3 encoder, also available from the site above) if it's just some weird MP3 encoding issue. Plus, it's a nice basic sound editor, encoder.

I just spent this past weekend purging every last one of the WMA files I had to make sure that everything would play nice with my Android gear and Chromecast. Death to WMA.
jwight, chieftmc and Miss Mercedes like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Some of them were ripped from CDs using Windows Media Player, but they are mp3 files for sure. Someone suggested the bit rate may be a problem - I haven't checked them all but one at 320 did not play and one at a lower rate did. I'll try the re-encoding thing and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 AM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,761 Times in 868 Posts
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Some of them were ripped from CDs using Windows Media Player, but they are mp3 files for sure. Someone suggested the bit rate may be a problem - I haven't checked them all but one at 320 did not play and one at a lower rate did. I'll try the re-encoding thing and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
I doubt the bitrate itself is a problem, but re-encoding might help. I have a lot of Amazon purchased and other MP3s encoded between 256K - 320K and they all play fine on my Android gear. My two tablets are running Lollipop and our phones are on KitKat, so they are very recent versions of Android, but I never noticed any issues even when running earlier versions of Jelly Bean. When I rip my CDs, though, I typically use 192K as a balance between quality and file sizes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I've been playing around with my Samsung Galaxy 3 and can't seem to replicate the issue.

Bit Rate will not be the problem, though. All that really dictates is the overall quality of the file. Most of all my music files are 320k.

Download VLC for Android as Flossy suggested. Hands down, VLC has to be one of the best (if not the best) media player for any platform. Indeed, if VLC doesn't play it, your problem is probably with the files (Corruption? Improper encoding by WMP?)...
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
jwight (12-10-2014)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Update: checked the tablet this morning and all the mp3s were gone - as in disappeared. The tablet did not even show the sd card as installed. Just replaced it with a SanDisk sd card, reloaded the mp3s from the PC via Kies and so far so good. All the music is there and plays with the native Music Player as well as the Ringtone Maker app - the whole point of the exercise.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Any experts out there? Having trouble with some mp3 files not playing on the Android music player.
Yes I am facing the same problem too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode