LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Door panel removal

Sure, Location: South Africa, be right there should be warmer than 20 degrees like here today, just outside of Chicago IL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I know this message is dated a few years back. Would you please advise who did your speaker work in Charlotte. I'm also in Charlotte and I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to try removing the door panels on my 2013 passion. Gotta rid myself of the stock speakers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-er View Post
I found a shop that is going to take off my panels, and put in my speakers for me. Today I put my stereo system and XM radio in and while it sounds way better than the factory radio, the factory speakers leave much to be desired. I cant wait until I get my Infinity's put in tomorrow. One observation, the stubby antenna that SCSC put on my Smart is nicer than the whip in looks, but it does not perform as well as a whip. Luckily I hardly ever listen to FM.

The wife really wants me to put lights in the footwells of the car, so my next project is to find a light kit.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,561 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
There is a thread on removing the speakers with out taking off the door panels. You have to destroy the original speakers. They are only worth about $1.50 each any ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Faster and easy to do it this way in the videos doing it from the front side...

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...25/index2.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Brabus007 For This Useful Post:
Stretchmobile (09-23-2013)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Ugh. Now I'm faced with chopping up and destroying things. Perhaps I'm better just to live with the stock speakers!

Anyway, thanks guys for the heads up. I haven't bought speakers yet because I'm still not sure what to get. Think I'll sleep on this info and decide what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus007 View Post
Faster and easy to do it this way in the videos doing it from the front side...

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...25/index2.html
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I replaced my speakers by taking the outside panels off. It was easy, and the 2nd door was easier. The new speakers sounded so much better. The time it took was well worth the effort. I looked at doing the speakers from the inside and now that I know how easy it is to do from the outside, it's a no-brainier.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM

Well, my take is that I don't want to risk damaging the door panels, or the mirror. The process is way way WAY too complex in my humble opinion. It doesn't look easy at all to me. I simply don't want to take the risk. I'll live with stock speakers before I damage my Ride. The inside replacement procedure seems a bit more palatable but it still bothers me greatly. Just my luck I destroy the stock speaker then the replacement doesn't fit or work for whatever reason. Then I'm left with a gaping hole in my door. I don't know. I keep leaning with living with stock speakers and not tearing up a car that I've had for less than a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-in-sa View Post
I replaced my speakers by taking the outside panels off. It was easy, and the 2nd door was easier. The new speakers sounded so much better. The time it took was well worth the effort. I looked at doing the speakers from the inside and now that I know how easy it is to do from the outside, it's a no-brainier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f91/remove-door-panels-15126/
Posted By For Type Date
SMART CAR VIDEOS: How to change your oil in the smart fortwo This thread Refback 10-16-2008 06:17 PM