Why is it so DEAD in the Ga chapter? - Page 4 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Warning - this is a bit long. If you don't have time / want to read it, here are the key points:

• how often does the Warner Robins group meet? If monthly maybe we could alternate between meeting in WR and the Atlanta area?
  • PNW (Pacific NorthWest) Chapter and COSMOS (COlorado SMart OwnerS) are great examples. It started small, but was consistent in meeting and it grew organically
  • building a relationship with Smart people at Smart Center Buckhead - they can help get the word out about events as well
  • will take constant "campaigning" to make sure all Smarts are aware there is a club. I'll ask the local Mini group for pointers.
  • anyone interested, make sure you're vocal on both SCoA and Smart USA Insider. Dealerships use USA Insider almost exclusively it seems.
  • my contact info is email: briandewitt at gmail dot com phone: 314.226.1723
Now for the long part:

davidowen, how often are your meets/dining events in Warner Robins? It being 2 hours away from Atlanta, I figure that the Atlanta area smarts could head that way once a month or so. Or maybe we could alternate between the Atlanta area and Warner Robins? Of course we could every once in a while meet up elsewhere in Georgia for a themed/special drive (i.e., drive to see the leaves changing colors, historic Savannah run, etc). That type of event would be less frequent but would certainly be nice to do.

When I lived in Boulder, the COSMOS group would meet near the Smart Center once every month or so. Members/attendees came from all over Colorado. Not everyone could make it everytime, but more and more people started to attend. I believe their main form of organizing was smart USA insider. The fact is that they just started having the events with consistency (like it sounds the Warner Robins group does) and kept at it.

Speaking with the people at the Smart Center in Buckhead, there seem to be a lot of owners that are very enthusiastic about their cars. Atlanta area being so big (in terms of geographic area consumed by the city proper and all of its surrounding 'burbs) it might be an issue of constant "campaigning" to make people aware. BUT the Smart Center would prove to be helpful. I'm building a report with the sales people and parts people (Alonzo and Paco are excellent there as is Mike the services guy and Sean [or is it Shawn], one of the salesmen). Maybe I can put it in their heads to mention to people when they come in for service, to chat, order parts, etc., to mention this or USA Insider (ideally both) to them.

Now my point regarding fragmentation. There are essentially two places that enthusiast discussions are happening: here on this forum and at Smart USA Insider. Now this creates a bit of an issue for some as there are only so many hours in the day. And the two sites are different but similar. SCoA is a forum first with a gallery feature. USA Insider is more of a social network feel. Lots of similarities on both sites but different presentation. With these similarities, I am certain that many people think "well I already do all of that at x so why should I do the same things a second time at y?"

Having said that, it will just take a little effort for GA Smarts that are on both SCoA and USA Insider to make sure they - when possible and when it makes sense - post to both. Example, I'm trying to make sure I upload all of my photos and video (or at least links to them) on both SCoA and Smart USA Insider.

Last edited by briansmart; 09-29-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Smartmadness.com
SCOA Club

Garage
Thanks Brian for the insight yea both forums are great for getting the word out. I can attend almost any meet we plan on a fri sat or sun
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never made a WR meet as it's nearly 175 miles for me to drive down there. I do make Atlanta events from time to time though.

I wouldn't mind getting something started in the northwest GA / Chattanooga, TN area. I see plenty of smarties up here, just need to recruit them. Then maybe we could get the northern part of the state and some TN smarties to come down from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Puppeto thats a great idea. Of course having meets as close to where one lives is ideal. I think its just going to take someone recruiting (as you said) and setting up the event each month, letting the nearest Smart Center know, posting here and at Smart USA Insider, etc. It will take a while but it will happen.

Also, not every owner that wants to go to these gatherings needs to attend every meeting. Stuff happens, life comes up and there are other things besides the Smart..... Well for some of us at least
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Smartmadness.com
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmart View Post
Puppeto thats a great idea. Of course having meets as close to where one lives is ideal. I think its just going to take someone recruiting (as you said) and setting up the event each month, letting the nearest Smart Center know, posting here and at Smart USA Insider, etc. It will take a while but it will happen.

Also, not every owner that wants to go to these gatherings needs to attend every meeting. Stuff happens, life comes up and there are other things besides the Smart..... Well for some of us at least
Im right behind whatever positive idea you got Brian.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

Put a fork in the GA chapter it's done!

I'm disappointed really; I'd have thought GA would be more active than MI because the weather was nicer but that doesn't seem to be the case!

I've seen a few Smarts on the roads here in GA and I've gotten one wave/light flash and couple of fingers! It would seem that GA isn't as friendly as I was led to believe when I transferred here.

Last edited by IH8OPEC; 11-07-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Typo, (stupid keyboard)
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 AM

How hard can it be to organize a meet, or a run through Atlanta. Might help to "enlighten" some folks.

Too bad smart Buckhead doesn't get involved. Be a great promotion for sales to have a gathering of happy smart owners!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode