• 1 Post By Incochief
  • 1 Post By 08smartah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
453s in at DM

Just saw that DM dealer has new 453s on their lot. Gotta go see em today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll visit DM smart after New Years

I'll be getting a 2016 but the available colors are holding me back. I don't think smarts's Color artists/designers ever went to art school. I'm leaning toward all red with the Sport Package black wheels.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Well our dealer had an open house test and drive for the new 453 yesterday. One of the road, one in the showroom and two out behind. I think they are all Passions. 16 people registered to come to the event.

The one for test drive was the Matte Grey /black tridion with the solid black roof. No panorama, however the showroom model did. Both cars that I tried on for size were DCT.

Mixed emotions about the drive. I have the 2016 Passion ED
so stepping on it is way different than the 453. Power does come on with the turbo, but I felt the lag and slowing down did cause a shift that I wasn't expecting, but then mine is and EV so it would be different and I'm sure I would get used to it.

However at a stoplight it wanted to creep and felt like it was surging and then stumbling as if it would stall - it didn't. Car had less than 400 km so it might be just too new and adjustment needed.

Inside the interior is way nicer than mine and it feels much more upscale. I like everything about it - except that temperature slide is hard to read when you are driving and want to adjust, and that cradle for the phone that I would get rid of. You cant see the station presents because it blocks the view.

Another issue is the rear view mirror. Field of vision isn't very far, but that might have been my fault. The seat might have not been low enough - I didn't try it.

It didn't have power mirrors either - boo. Hard to adjust and a pain if more than one person is going to be driving it. I'm tall, the other half isn't. You get the picture. Sole driver would have no issues after setting them up.

The test car did have the Sport Package and aside from the all black wheels, it's worthwhile getting. I would use those wheels with winter tires and get something shiny for the summer!
Handling and steering were very good. Steering wheel I think is supposed to be leather, but it didn't feel like it was and mine I like more.

Conclusion: I like it a lot and maybe one of each would be appropriate. I can safely say that because the boss doesn't come and read this site....Merry Christmas
OliverB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:25 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Poor rear view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incochief View Post
Another issue is the rear view mirror. Field of vision isn't very far, but that might have been my fault. The seat might have not been low enough - I didn't try it.
I have had my 453 for a week now and I still can't quite get the rearview mirror set to see items in the far distance. Never had this problem with 451. It seems the top (i.e. distance) field of view is cut off by the upper edge of the rear window. The view is better if I lower the seat all the way, however, this makes me feel like a kid reaching up to the steering wheel.

Last edited by smartie; 12-20-2015 at 06:43 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Yes, the top of the hatch opening does seem to cut off view a bit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartie View Post
I have had my 453 for a week now and I still can't quite get the rearview mirror set to see items in the far distance. Never had this problem with 451. It seems the top (i.e. distance) field of view is cut off by the upper edge of the rear window. The view is better if I lower the seat all the way, however, this makes me feel like a kid reaching up to the steering wheel.
Yep. I just heard this complaint from a guest yesterday, and now you're the second person to bring it up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Being tall doesn't help. I have that issue with my ED and when I tried out the 453 I set the mirror and noticed it was much more restrictive. However I didn't try lowering the seat to see if that helped. The seat might have been a little too high.
I also noted that my left leg rested uncomfortably against the door panel and when looking at it it did not seem to be much different than mine as for intrusion into the cabin. Again I thought that may have been because the seat was too high.
Need to go back and check this out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Stopped by dealer yesterday, they have several cabs and 2017 on the lot.
Smart Bob likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 08smartah For This Useful Post:
jwight (08-22-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode