Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really all I want is a double-din stereo with USB and AUX (have AUX currently but I hate it being in the glove box). Any suggestions on what one to get? I was searching here for something cheap but I have no idea whats compatible with my smart. Evilution.co.uk makes it look as easy as moving one pin on the connector but I don't want to buy something until I know for sure

I really love the look of the HighLine stereo but I don't think that has USB or is compatible with my '08

To my knowledge I only have two speakers, and they're pretty weak but I can live with that for now if I have a USB port to plug my flash drive in and shuffle songs

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I've bought several times from Sonic Electronix. Satisfied customer.

Seems like that Boss 822UA at the top of the list fills your requirements. And, for under a Century Note!

I don't know why the Highline stereo would be incompatible with your 2008, if that's the way you want to go. I've got an aftermarket (Kenwood) double DIN in my 2008.

·
Super Moderator
28,300 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I need speakers... I'd like to spend around $100 for the pair of door speakers and just rock those for a while if I can find some good all-around ones with decent bass. I love some bass but I don't think I'd jump on the subwoofer train

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having a brain fart... what do they call it when you would normally have a head unit that can do 4x 50w speakers, and instead you do 2x 100w? Also, is that a better idea for me to do, or should I just stick with 2x 50w

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm having a brain fart... what do they call it when you would normally have a head unit that can do 4x 50w speakers, and instead you do 2x 100w? Also, is that a better idea for me to do, or should I just stick with 2x 50w

Advertised wattages of internal HU amplifiers are notoriously inaccurate. It should be fine for lower wattage speakers like infinity reference components. you could add a small sub under the dash, and have really good sound even without rear speakers.

If you do want rear speakers, you can velcro down truck boxes to the carpet and not have to cut.

Or.... you could lose you damn mind and stuff it to the gills. It's entirely up to you.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
It's called bridging.

If I were you, I'd go with the best 2 channel amp you care to invest in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've bought several times from Sonic Electronix. Satisfied customer.
+1 for Sonic. Shipping was expensive for me, but it arrived quickly and pricing on everything I ordered was very good.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f76/amp-50314/index3.html

I can't figure out if I'm supposed to get the 300x2 or the 300x4 ;_;
300x2 means 300 watts x 2 channels. 300x4 means 300 watts x 4 channels. You can generally bridge 4 channel amps (which makes them 2 channels, because you connect 2 channels to only one speaker), but this changes the impendence (generally from 4 ohms to 2 ohms, but it depends on the amp).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts