Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any news or data on 451 reliability/warranty repairs to date?

any indications/comments/specs on the new 451 mitsubishi engine expected longevity, to date repair rate, and/or etc., vs average for all vehicles, or vs #1 honda accord, or vs 450 at this life stage, or vs. any repair/reliability insights of any kind on the new 451 and engine?

concerned about a mechanic viewing the 451 at the summer event for the first time. when he found out the engine maker, said mitsubishi engines don't last long. said he would not buy a vehicle with one, and then he and his wife walked away. (his wife was excited about the look of the top down silver/silver/red)

also concerned about a possible untypical short 2 year warranty, in light of the mechanics short life opinion/experience with mitsubishi engines.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Montero going on 13 yrs old and 145,000 miles. I think a lot depends on how you maintain them.
any maintenance tips/procedures you can share, that may have helped yours get to 145,000?

did you have any dealer, or self, engine work done? if so, age and miles on the vehicle at time of needed repair? what was repaired?

thanks

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Oil changed every 3,000, transmission, differential, transfer case every 30,000. Cam belt, water pump at 100,000. Cambelt, water pump done professionally, oil, anti-freeze etc. - self. Dripped lots of oil, cam seals done at 130,000. Best advise is cut recommended maintenance intervals in half, both mileage and time.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Early Mitsubishi engines

any indications/comments/specs on the new 451 mitsubishi engine expected longevity, to date repair rate, and/or etc., vs average for all vehicles, or vs #1 honda accord, or vs 450 at this life stage, or vs. any repair/reliability insights of any kind on the new 451 and engine?

concerned about a mechanic viewing the 451 at the summer event for the first time. when he found out the engine maker, said mitsubishi engines don't last long. said he would not buy a vehicle with one, and then he and his wife walked away. (his wife was excited about the look of the top down silver/silver/red)

also concerned about a possible untypical short 2 year warranty, in light of the mechanics short life opinion/experience with mitsubishi engines.
The guy may have been referring to the early 2.8Ltr 4 cyl that was used in many Chrysler platforms. My experience was with one in an '84 Dodge Caravan. I took extremely goodcare of it as I did all vehicles I have (bought used with 40K miles. At 56K miles, the engine blew a head gasket and hydrolocked. While apart the dealership suggested changing out the timing chain and sprockets, etc as they had to get into all that to change the heads.....$1400 later the job was done and I was done with Chrysler products for the rest of my life!
He may have had a similar experience, perhaps, with that engine as they used it in K cars and many other applications, too, I believe.
Hopefully, this 3 cyl engine that they're using in the Smart has better progeny than that earlier 2.8 did. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
The guy may have been referring to the early 2.8Ltr 4 cyl that was used in many Chrysler platforms. My experience was with one in an '84 Dodge Caravan. I took extremely goodcare of it as I did all vehicles I have (bought used with 40K miles. At 56K miles, the engine blew a head gasket and hydrolocked. While apart the dealership suggested changing out the timing chain and sprockets, etc as they had to get into all that to change the heads.....$1400 later the job was done and I was done with Chrysler products for the rest of my life!
He may have had a similar experience, perhaps, with that engine as they used it in K cars and many other applications, too, I believe.
Hopefully, this 3 cyl engine that they're using in the Smart has better progeny than that earlier 2.8 did. :)
The G54b Mitsubishi engine you are refering to is a 2.6l inline 4. I had a 1980 Dodge Challenger and a 1987 Dodge Raider(Montero) with the rear wheel drive engine G54b. Both of them served me well I had 150,000 on the challenger when it needed rebuilt and 90,000 when I traded in the Raider on a '95 T-bird. The '95 T-bird started smoking at 100,000.

My boss also got about 150,000 out of both of his '84-85 Chrysler minivans with the 2.6l engines.

Mitsubishi did have a run of bad camshafts in the Dodge Colt/Hyundai Excell back in the early '90s, But even Honda has had trouble with certain engines.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Since the Canadian 451s haven't hit the streets in any numbers yet I would assume that historical information on North American 451s would be rather limited.

Deliveries in Canada should start early December once emission control paperwork is completed with the government.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a 89' Mitsubishi Mirage with a 1500CC and 5 speed. I hauled stuffs around town. I went every where with it. I drove it from Houston to Orlando and Miami many times. I had until 96' and I let my daughter drove it to school for two. We clocked 190,000 miles on it and never had any engine related problem at all. I was very deligent about changing oil every 3 - 4000 miles and never
drove it to redline.

·
Registered
28 Posts
08 smart 451 mitsubishi engine

I cannot say with 100 percent certainty, but the I-3 seems to be a spinoff of the World Engine that Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai group joint venture, the Global Engine Alliance. These engines were I-4's in displacements of 1.8L, 2.0L and 2.4L. The similarities between these newer I-4's and this I-3 cannot be just by chance.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts