Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 Passion w/ 90k miles.

Bought it a few months ago from a "backyard car dealer". Replaced a broken spring, put new tires and brakes on it, changed oil in engine and trans, and replaced alternator and belt. What a fun little car!

But sometimes when moving from P to R, the speedo indicator goes blank and the car doesn't go into gear. When R is dead, so is N and D. But oddly enough, if I go directly from P to D, and then move to R, it always works.

I removed the actuator and blasted the guts with white lithium spray grease (but did not disassemble the unit) with no change except that the car shifts more happily now. Y'think this issue is with the actuator or with the onboard computer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2008, the solution was to get the transmission control unit software updated by the dealer. They'll charge you about an hour of labor even though they just plug it in and mostly wait. You might be able to get the dealership or MBUSA to reimburse you under goodwill if you ask.

Quite a common issue with the 451s, https://www.evilution.co.uk/info/451_fortwo_not_selecting_reverse.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts