Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything different about testing the battery on a smart?(Other than being inside instead of under the hood) For example, can I take it to Auto Zone or Advance AP for their free test? Also, what's a good battery to buy if I need one? Again, one from Auto Zone ok?
I bought my smart 6 years ago with 39K miles on it. It now has 133K..as far as I can tell it's the original battery...unless it was changed before I bought it. I've never had a battery last that long in any other car, so...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I posted this yesterday but I was on my (not really all that) Smart phone... so, at the risk of being redundant; I took my smart to Autozone for their test & sure enough, it tested bad. I went ahead and bought one of their batteries. The new battery dropped right into place after a little (ok, a lot) of verbal abuse and a smashed and bloodied finger because of tiny space the original was tucked into and with nothing to grab to pull it out... well, I had a strap on the negative post - it slipped off just as I stuck my hand under the battery to get another grip...
Anyway, the car cranks much faster now and so far, no hesitation. I wonder if the new battery will last as long as the original. The negative post was stamped 04/09. I guess I can't complain too much. Eight years & 133,000 miles on the original.

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
What/who was the make/manufacturer of the original battery and who makes it now? Varta maybe?

Len
2014 EV coupe 11,100 miles
2014 EV cabriolet 59 miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts