Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Don't forget to take this into consideration. From "Debunked..." FAQs:

"How do driving conditions affect the distance motorists can go between oil changes?

Automaker oil change recommendations differ depending upon driving conditions, as well as car make, model and year. According to car manufacturers, drivers considered “severe” should change their oil more frequently or at shorter mileage intervals than drivers considered “normal.” Severe drivers are those that drive in one of the following conditions in a typical week:

Extensive idling or in stop-and-go traffic
Cold weather, less than 10 degrees
Extreme heat, more than 90 degrees
Extreme humidity
Repeated short-distance trips of less than five miles
Towing a trailer or hauling heavy materials"

Typically, smart provides no such guidance, just be normal "go for the 10K."

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
After "benchmarking," Purolator subsequently listed the better L14612 semi-synthetic and the best PL14612 full-synthetic fleece in their application guide for the 2008 smart. I note that they are still listed though I sent them Kane's photos showing the exposure of the longer 14612s. Performance-wise, Purolator determined that the 14612's characteristics equaled or exceeded the OEM.
According to Amazon.com the Purolator PL14612 doesn't fit smart. They could be wrong, but what do you say?

I'm glad to see scattered through this thread that Mobil 1 (Exxon) isn't required, I'd rather avoid Exxon when possible. There's no way using Castrol Syntec could be a warranty issue, right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm glad to see scattered through this thread that Mobil 1 (Exxon) isn't required, I'd rather avoid Exxon when possible. There's no way using Castrol Syntec could be a warranty issue, right?
Castrol Syntec 0w-40 is on the list of approved oils, though I think it says European blend, if that's somehow different.

P.S. lol, Starship Enterprise, NCC-1701. BRILLIANT!:cool:

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I don't think Amazon.com is necessarily authorative on anything automotive. I note that the depiction of the filter is somewhat dated (a blue can). Sometime before Purolator USA benchmarked the OEM smart/Mitsu/TR filter (early June '08) they had been "re-canned" the PL14612 to the present gold with non-slip gripping surface. The Amazon info looks outdated.

That said, it still doesn't change the fact that the longer 14612s are somewhat exposed. At the time I alerted Purolator about the exposure, I also suggested that they consider developing a shorter, full-synthetic, fleece, "PL" alternative.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Off My Duff

All of this compels me to get off my lazy duff and get the thread back to "Feral Collie's" thing by cutting my delivery filter (@101 miles) and the second (a Yamaha @ 586 miles) and see what is there to be found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil question

Does anyone know if my new 2009 Smart Passion DEFINATELY came with Pure Synthetic oil in it???? If it did, then I won't change the oil yet. If it didn't, then I will since I'm at 1,200 miles and it's broken in.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Does anyone know if my new 2009 Smart Passion DEFINITELY came with Pure Synthetic oil in it????
Since reading this post by Old smart, I thought the engines came in with non-synthetic oil. Rereading the post, I'm no longer sure if the original oil was a different synthetic or dino oil or if the swap-out experiment became the way they now process the engines.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Since reading this post by Old smart, I thought the engines came in with non-synthetic oil. Rereading the post, I'm no longer sure if the original oil was a different synthetic or dino oil or if the swap-out experiment became the way they now process the engines.
This what I was emailed by smartUSA (Bloomfield) concerning the VPC oil changes:

"Engines ship wet (filled with oil) from Mitsubishi to Hambach. Our test has been aimed at evaluating the consistency of using Mobil 1 versus the entry of the vehicles with one oil and then a switch to synthetic at the first oil change. Overall, we do not think this is a performance issue. We have just been interested in evaluating the alternative of using a port change as opposed to the much bigger challenge of changing the oil used in the Mitsubishi factory."

Note, it reads "...a switch to synthetic..." not "a switch to a different synthetic."

N.B. Note that this smartUSA VPC experiment began about the beginning of the year. Those smarts coming in after that will be re-filled with Mobil 1 0W-40; those delivered before that, dunno (likely a Nippon Oil Co.** fossil).
**A Mitsubishi company.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts