Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on an East coast road trip from FL to New England over the last two weeks had a blast!!! Anyway, hit 10,000 miles the odometer disappeared and there was this little wrench flashing and I thought Oh NO... Then the wrench stopped and the odometer came back on. Now every time I start her there is that wrench and now it says -200 in the odometers place for about 30 seconds then everything returns to normal.. :eek: Ok I guess my question is this, I am guessing this is for the 10,000 mile service right..? I know that I need to get my oil changed again ( and I am going to do that ) but what all is going to be done in the service and can I do it myself?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Time to change the oil! :cowboy:

That's the service interval indicator. It's basically the same as the oil light coming on in a normal car at 3000 miles. Read manual.:eek:

Sorry after looking at my post, it seemed rude... just having a bit of fun. there are basic maintenance things to do that you can do yourself. check manual for required service.. mines in the car and can't look it up at the moment :) it's mostly check air filter, lube door hinges and the standard stuff that anyone capable of turning a wrench can do. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for hint... I had read the manual when I bought her but just refreshed myself :rolleyes: So I can change the oil but still have to go to the dealer to have them reset the maintenance counter..

·
Registered
562 Posts
my manual has instructions for resetting the counter... I think it was hold down both the right and left buttons at the same time for 5 seconds... but can't recall exactly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why in the h--- are people so friggin reluctant to read the manual. Spend 16K to buy the car and then don't take the time to read some things that are rather important. If you read the manual and know how to turn a wrench you can do a whole lot of things on this car and save a bunch of $$ by not having the dealer do it all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Why in the h--- are people so friggin reluctant to read the manual. Spend 16K to buy the car and then don't take the time to read some things that are rather important. If you read the manual and know how to turn a wrench you can do a whole lot of things on this car and save a bunch of $$ by not having the dealer do it all.
yes I know.... and I don't mean to belittle anyone, (especially the starter of this thread), but when you're going to post about a simple issue like this, why don't you browse the manual first. "Oh, I lost my manual last time I went skiing in the car," you say. There's plenty online. Even on this site. It's really amazing how the advancements of technology can benefit you.

:bouncies:450:spots:451:bouncies:

Sorry, that's my rant for today.:p

·
Registered
327 Posts
10,000 mile service

Well, after everyone was sooooo helpful here, I decided that since I am nearing my 10K checkup as well, I would go read my manual myself.... so now I am doning my surgical garb and going to do the things I can do for myself to save $$. Now if you come to the hospital for surgery and ask STUPID questions, I will just look at you and say something like "well, if you had read the manual before you came in here, you could have removed your own gallbladder and saved a bunch of $$". :rolleyes:
Russ

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just to clarify, and keep from getting peeps confused..... the above step is for when the normal method does not work.

Excerpt from manual, p.139.:

Selecting Maintenance service interval display: Press left button repeatedly until the maintenance interval display appears in the status indicator.

Clearing maintenance service interval display: Press the left button on the instrument cluster. The maintenance interval display is cleared.

Activating the maintenance service interval display: Press the left button on the instrument cluster twice in quick succession.

Which as I read it... push button twice quickly to activate the maintenance display, then push button again to clear.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
just to clarify further - we are probably talking two separate issues here-

resetting the indicator - which means it is cleared and will no longer show up (usually done by dealer after service is complete)

or in the manual procedure above, simply toggling thru the display - which does not reset (prermanently clear) the indicator

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, I have sense read the manual :rolleyes:. Love to see that you all are so helpful... and friendly... :D

Later

1 - 13 of 13 Posts