Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Can't comment about the extended warranty but you are not doing the engine any favors by letting it warm up for 5 minutes. For some years it has been recommended you NOT do this. Yes, start the engine and let it run for several seconds before driving off. Allowing it to run 5 minutes is actually producing more pollution and increasing the time it takes to reach operating temperature. Modern engines and lubricants can handle quick drive offs after cold starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i read it in a manual

Can't comment about the extended warranty but you are not doing the engine any favors by letting it warm up for 5 minutes. For some years it has been recommended you NOT do this. Yes, start the engine and let it run for several seconds before driving off. Allowing it to run 5 minutes is actually producing more pollution and increasing the time it takes to reach operating temperature. Modern engines and lubricants can handle quick drive offs after cold starts.
read it in a manual and figured staring and srining a short distance as in my wife's case 10 miles to work was bad for the engine...new to smarts, but love them! Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You read it in "A" manual, or you read it in your smart car manual?

BIG difference.

I routinely start my smart and let it idle for about a minute before driving off.
Due to the size of the engine, it heats up to operating temp pretty fast.

I am at 90,000+ miles with no issues so far. (2008 cabrio)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
read it in a manual and figured staring and srining a short distance as in my wife's case 10 miles to work was bad for the engine...new to smarts, but love them! Thanks for the tip
Ten miles is a pretty good trip. Not long distance but long enough to fully warm up and burn off moisture in exhaust system.

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
If you are talking about sub-zero temps, then a few minutes for warming up is not a bad idea. If the temps are above say, 40 degrees, just drive it!

I like the light shine model, nice options and all. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Might want to read over that 100K mile warranty; most likely it is a third party service contract with a list of exceptions a mile long. Buyer beware, etc...:)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I suggest you read the terms of that warranty. Those are generally only covering internally lubricated power-train parts. There are frequently specific service intervals that must be followed to keep the warranty in force. Sometimes those specified parameters conflict with the factory service intervals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts