Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm a new Smart owner and this is my first week driving the lovingly-named Schmoopy Poopy (2016 Fortwo Passion). When I bought her from the dealer, she had a little over half a tank. And I stopped at a Chevron when the last square of gas on the gauge was the only one illuminated. I excitedly filled her up for the first time this past Wednesday with Premium, reset my trip computer, and have just crossed the 100-mile mark of my commute with this fresh tank of gas. BUT the fuel gauge still reads full.

Now, going from a Jeep to a Smart I was expecting far better gas mileage...but this is so damn ridiculous I feel something may be off with the fuel gauge.

I have read lots of prior posts about the fuel gauges being hanky and reading incorrectly, actual fuel reserve vs what's printed in the manual, and people getting 240-275 miles per tank. Anyone else have this "my tank still reads full" problem and have a solution? I'll fill her up around the 230-mile mark just to be safe...

If nobody has any similar experiences or advice, I'll bite the bullet and head to the dealer. She just received the all-clear for a full post-purchase inspection at a non-dealer mechanic that I trust. Can you believe my local Smart Center no longer conducts bumper-to-bumper full inspections?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's normal dude. The first line takes the longest to drop. And yes,
expect 300 miles per tank. I personally like to refuel at 200, this way minimizing the chance top overheat the fuel pump. I know it's a small chance but it costs me nothing so why not try to prevent it.
Hi guys!

I'm a new Smart owner and this is my first week driving the lovingly-named Schmoopy Poopy (2016 Fortwo Passion). When I bought her from the dealer, she had a little over half a tank. And I stopped at a Chevron when the last square of gas on the gauge was the only one illuminated. I excitedly filled her up for the first time this past Wednesday with Premium, reset my trip computer, and have just crossed the 100-mile mark of my commute with this fresh tank of gas. BUT the fuel gauge still reads full.

Now, going from a Jeep to a Smart I was expecting far better gas mileage...but this is so damn ridiculous I feel something may be off with the fuel gauge.

I have read lots of prior posts about the fuel gauges being hanky and reading incorrectly, actual fuel reserve vs what's printed in the manual, and people getting 240-275 miles per tank. Anyone else have this "my tank still reads full" problem and have a solution? I'll fill her up around the 230-mile mark just to be safe...

If nobody has any similar experiences or advice, I'll bite the bullet and head to the dealer. She just received the all-clear for a full post-purchase inspection at a non-dealer mechanic that I trust. Can you believe my local Smart Center no longer conducts bumper-to-bumper full inspections?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SOOooOOOoOOoOOOooOo much!!! <3

It's normal dude. The first line takes the longest to drop. And yes,
expect 300 miles per tank. I personally like to refuel at 200, this way minimizing the chance top overheat the fuel pump. I know it's a small chance but it costs me nothing so why not try to prevent it.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Normal for the first movement of the gauge to hit right around the 100 mile mark, The gauges are not linear, meaning it will move faster as it gets lower. You can go to the dealer and have it calibrated, but it will probably act the same. I drive roughly 500-600 miles a week and I usually fill around the 275-300 mile mark, averaging about 46 mpg, a little less in the winter. When it says empty or 1.0 then fill it. the last gallon is a countdown to empty. It is a 10 gallon tank, but the last 2 gallons can't be used. I assume it is for cooling the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Your car is a 453, correct? I have a 2016 453. Usually less than 100 miles before first bar drops. Mine will do 60-80 on first bar but I have gotten as much as 100. Much depends on your driving style, average speed and terrain. If I am doing 45-50 or so for a lot of miles mine will register 53-55 mpg. If you keep that up for lots of miles you will get 100+ on the first bar. Tank is smaller than 451. My 451 would do an easy 300 or more before requiring fill. Rare for that to occur on a 453.

·
Registered
229 Posts
2016 Edition #1

I'm getting 380-400 miles a tank on mine.

This pic from the winter:

I usually fill at the '1.0 gal' left mark.
The pump clicks off from fast filling at about 6 gallons; so now you are at 7 gallons total.
I 'dribble fill' another 3-4 gallons after that for a total of 10-11gallons.
I've gotten 10 gallons in at the '1.0 gal' left mark several times, at 37mpg.

If I ever get on a long highway trip, I should hit a 450 mile tank at 41mpg :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
On my 451 the first bar variation is do to how I fill the tank. If the pump is on automatic and clicks off and I take it out and move on, the tank will show all bars full. That's very different then when I am on the road and the pump clicks off, because then I squeeze almost another gallon in the tank before moving on. So then with all bars full I have nearly 40 miles of driving before effecting that first bar at all. Three bars left is my usual refill point. I drove to the limit once to see when the warning would flash. Based on that I never intend to see one bar again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That's normal for a 16. Since I reside in the Midwest, I get worse gas mileage. I've had gr8 numbers from Kwik Trip in Sconnie and the best from Qwik Trip in Iowa.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
try to get the non ethanol premium, it makes a big difference on mine! Occasionally I will hit a Quik Trip with ethanol added premium. I try to avoid it if I can

·
Registered
125 Posts
The tank is actually 10 gallons isn't it?? I believe I saw a YouTube video where someone removed one and checked it?

Get yourself a mileage APP like "FillUp." It will help you keep track of actual mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
I believe it's 8.8gal. Just remember when it "burps" count to 10, let it burp a 2nd time, and finish. If this isn't done, there'll be. A false reading.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I get the best mileage from E0 91 (ethanol free premium).

Click on your state and try it out.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO

Most gas is 'cut' with 10% or more ethanol.
Have you seen a tailpipe dribbling out water?
That's from the ethanol - 'cheap gas'. Or '10% more profit gas' for the gas provider :)

The ethanol free gas can also be stored for long periods of time without using things like Stabil.
You never lose octane over time because there is no water in it (from the ethanol).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Interesting....what is the 453 capacity?
Supposed to be 8.7 gallons although there has been some disagreement. While 100 on the first bar is possible, it’s not the norm. Anywhere from 60-90 is usual for the 453. It is believed that when the low fuel monitor activates, indicating 1.3 gallons remaining, there is actually about a gallon additional fuel remaining that doesn't indicate by the gauge. It is speculated the additional fuel is there to keep the in-tank fuel pump cool when fuel level is very low.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How about 180 Miles :)

'Summer' tank - I'll post the 3rd screen again in the fall the next time I fill up with E0 91.
Had the A/C 'Off' the entire tank, average trips were 8-10 miles (so far).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fuelly.com for MPG tracking..............

Fuelly.com is quick/easy to use enter miles driven and fuel burned. The site software does the math,and keeps a
running total,updated every fill-up for your car. Website lists owner reported MPG,for almost every year/make/model
of car. Great for finding the real-world MPG for ANY car,NOT silly EPA rating.......................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts