Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I called the smart dealer in Utah to ask about the price of an oil change. The sales person told me that the oil change was $100. I ask her why it was so expensive. Her response was that they had to drop the engine to do the oil change!

Now I have to ask the forum if that sounds right. I can't imagine that they have to drop the engine to do an oil change.

Please, anyone, what does an oil change cost for the smart and do they have to drop the engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
NO...there is a DIY post on oil change here. I bought two oil filters at the dealership on the day of pick-up and confirmed I did not have to bring it back to the dealer for the oil change....but DID need to use the Smart approved filter and washer. Smart of Pittsburgh has a fair price for both, got two each for about $30. I will change myself with the Mobil1 as they advise until warrenty time is over....and document each change with a log.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
tiny smart

I personally do not have a problem with folks like you that get told ridiculous stuff if you were to post the idiots name and dealer

I sincerely hope this was just some numb-skull on the phone who really does not have a clue...but I suspect these scams are more normal then folks report...

BTW many here are quoted around $80 for a dealer oil change using the dramatically inflated dealers price for the filter and 3.5 quarts of full synthetic oil plus the cost of a 0.5 shop hour (some shops will not split hours and charge a full hour for even a 10 min job...grrrr)

This is why many of us will be doing our own as it truly is a very easy 15 min job, no special tools, and the filter and fluid can be found for under $25 total

BTW #2 my local Ford dealer will meet any quick lube / jiffy lube etc.. oil change offer (even news paper coupons) for any brand car and offers most of the national brand oil and filters

·
Registered
452 Posts
The sales person told me that the oil change was $100. I ask her why it was so expensive. Her response was that they had to drop the engine to do the oil change!
That's just wrong.

I was at the local Mercedes-Benz dealer (who does not sell smart) the other day, and they had a placard on the service counter that read: Mobil 1 oil change- 9 quarts of Mobil 1 oil, an original Mercedes-Benz oil filter, and labor. $69.95 + tax.

It would cost more to buy an oil filter from smart and 9 quarts of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got my oil changed at a Mercedes dealership that does NOT sell smart. I watched them do it. They charged me 25.00 for labor. I brought my own filter and gasket. With the oil it came out to about 50.00 or so.
Drop the engine? WoW.

Meaux :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tiny smart

I personally do not have a problem with folks like you that get told ridiculous stuff if you were to post the idiots name and dealer

I sincerely hope this was just some numb-skull on the phone who really does not have a clue...but I suspect these scams are more normal then folks report...

BTW many here are quoted around $80 for a dealer oil change using the dramatically inflated dealers price for the filter and 3.5 quarts of full synthetic oil plus the cost of a 0.5 shop hour (some shops will not split hours and charge a full hour for even a 10 min job...grrrr)

This is why many of us will be doing our own as it truly is a very easy 15 min job, no special tools, and the filter and fluid can be found for under $25 total

BTW #2 my local Ford dealer will meet any quick lube / jiffy lube etc.. oil change offer (even news paper coupons) for any brand car and offers most of the national brand oil and filters

The sales person was Blair Preble at smart center Lindon, Utah. I talked with her yesterday and received the oil change quote of $100 from her and that the engine had to be dropped.

Looks like Larry H Miller better have a little talk with his sales people up there. I personally always appreciated the sales person saying that they don't know the answer to your question, rather than giving false information because they don't want to appear stupid.

Also thanks for the infomation on DIY for oil changes.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Maybe I'm completely ignorant here but what car needs 9 quarts of oil for a simple oil change?
I'm not sure what the model number is, but I believe that the ML series and the C class with the 6-cylinder take 9 quarts of Mobil 1. The older 4 cylinders took - again, from memory - 6-7 quarts of the stuff.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Banned
844 Posts
my ancient 190E 2.3 took 5.3 quarts, mercedes quoted me $50 for an oil change with standard oil, if my car would have been a later model, $100 for a synthetic change.. i think i'll get changes at every 5000 miles, do the odd ones at the local oil change place, then the even/10,000 mile services at the smart center.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Drop the engine?

Drop the engine to do an oil change? I'm interpreting that as "remove the engine."

I don't think there's a manufacturer in the world that would create an engine that had to be removed every 3-6 months. Common sense, there. Besides, removing an engine is a delicate operation, and would cost them more than the profit on a $100 oil change which includes maybe $50 in materials.

If someone at the dealer told you this, either they were joking (i.e. "Smart, huh? Let's see how smart the customer is...") or less likely just pulling out an excuse to get you to agree. Talk to the management, ask them to show you the oil changing instructions in their service manual, or come clean. Hopefully they'll admit to a joke not well received, or will discipline someone intending to deceive.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I think they must have been

Yesterday I called the smart dealer in Utah to ask about the price of an oil change. The sales person told me that the oil change was $100. I ask her why it was so expensive. Her response was that they had to drop the engine to do the oil change!

Now I have to ask the forum if that sounds right. I can't imagine that they have to drop the engine to do an oil change.

Please, anyone, what does an oil change cost for the smart and do they have to drop the engine?

Thanks
Joking around with you to seehow gullible you were...had to be something like that. Changing the oil on the Smart is sooooooo freekin easy it isn't funny.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
... I don't think there's a manufacturer in the world that would create an engine that had to be removed every 3-6 months. ...
Semi-close though. The Subaru 3.0L, H-6 engine has to be dropped (physically) out the bottom on a special dealer lift to change the #1 and #6 spark plugs. Oh, had I known...!

·
Banned
629 Posts
I don't think there's a manufacturer in the world that would create an engine that had to be removed every 3-6 months.
Ferraris, Fieros, Subarus ... to name a few that require yanking an engine for tune ups, changing spark plugs, replacing a clutch, etc. It's not every 3-6 months, but it is at least once a year for people like me who drive their cars.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
That's just wrong.

I was at the local Mercedes-Benz dealer (who does not sell smart) the other day, and they had a placard on the service counter that read: Mobil 1 oil change- 9 quarts of Mobil 1 oil, an original Mercedes-Benz oil filter, and labor. $69.95 + tax.

It would cost more to buy an oil filter from smart and 9 quarts of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart!
They want $80. to do the same at Hoffman
karl
I seem to remember a gent that came to visit and was telling us how the car was pricey to maintain. He was treated with scorn and derision for his efforts and I have not seen him again on this site. Perhaps he did know something after all,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Old Mustang IIs you had to jack up the engine to change one of the spark plugs that I remember. Don't remember the years though 1970s....

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.