Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Maybe I'm completely ignorant here but what car needs 9 quarts of oil for a simple oil change?
You'll find that most of your premium German brands require huge amounts of oil, but with longer listed change cycles.

It takes a lot to keep an engine cool and lubricated at autobahn speeds ;)

The Twin turbo V12 in the S600 will take every bit of 9 quarts with a filter change. Even the older 4 cylinders referred to above (the 2.3 liter "Kompressor" (supercharged)) takes like 7.5 + filter.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You'll find that most of your premium German brands require huge amounts of oil, but with longer listed change cycles.

It takes a lot to keep an engine cool and lubricated at autobahn speeds ;)

The Twin turbo V12 in the S600 will take every bit of 9 quarts with a filter change. Even the older 4 cylinders referred to above (the 2.3 liter "Kompressor" (supercharged)) takes like 7.5 + filter.
It is the primary coolant, the cars are designed to live thru high speed runs
but you know that
karl

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never mind this thing is posting like crazy........sorry for that
point is that they can probably justify the cost these days especially at a Merc. dealer

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
How about finding someone to do a group buy on cases of oil filters? Or finding a Mitsubishi part number?
The problem with a car this new, have the part # local Mitsubishi does not stock the part...in a years time you should (I hope) have no problem finding what you need at the parts store, just not yet.
karl

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maint

They want $80. to do the same at Hoffman
karl
I seem to remember a gent that came to visit and was telling us how the car was pricey to maintain. He was treated with scorn and derision for his efforts and I have not seen him again on this site. Perhaps he did know something after all,
I remember that also Karl, but he was including things like replacing tires for a blow out in his estimate of maintenance. I consider that just a S.....y day.

(last time it happened to me, I was driving my son and his Cello to school, we were several blocks away. I told him to take off and run to school and I would bring the cello. Yah, walking 6 blocks uphill carrying a cello. Like I said, S.....ty day)
Meaux :)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I remember that also Karl, but he was including things like replacing tires for a blow out in his estimate of maintenance. I consider that just a S.....y day.

(last time it happened to me, I was driving my son and his Cello to school, we were several blocks away. I told him to take off and run to school and I would bring the cello. Yah, walking 6 blocks uphill carrying a cello. Like I said, S.....ty day)
Getting a dealer quote for $7. for a copper washer is not what I call a good deal the same part from an other dealer (other brand) goes for .21 cents love the car a cheap date at service time has not been the case in my experience.
karl

·
Registered
871 Posts
True, but people like johnnysan are going to start making that gasket. I got mine for about 3.50 from classicsmartparts btw. Call Paul. With time, the price for some of these parts should go down. I think that 10k, 20k, etc maint will be expensive, but not a reason to NOT buy the car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I got my oil changed at a Mercedes dealership that does NOT sell smart. I watched them do it. They charged me 25.00 for labor. I brought my own filter and gasket. With the oil it came out to about 50.00 or so.
Drop the engine? WoW.

Hey Meaux,

You are OBVIOUSLY :D enjoying your smart: how many miles on it now :)?

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Getting a dealer quote for $7. for a copper washer is not what I call a good deal the same part from an other dealer (other brand) goes for .21 cents love the car a cheap date at service time has not been the case in my experience.
karl

How hard could it be to cut a copper gasket:confused: I'll be cutting my own, thank you :D

Can anyone tell me IF there is a smart "Law" that says oil changes MUST be done by the dealer? Just so you document the change, receipts, etc. the warranty should be in force. Am I wrong (again):cool:?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
How hard could it be to cut a copper gasket:confused: I'll be cutting my own, thank you :D

Can anyone tell me IF there is a smart "Law" that says oil changes MUST be done by the dealer? Just so you document the change, receipts, etc. the warranty should be in force. Am I wrong (again):cool:?
All you have to do is use approved parts the gasket was reusable this time this is no reason not to buy the car just it will probably cost you more to maintain than some others. Done by the book the costs are reasonable, many of the dealers seem to think we would be insulted if they charged reasonable prices. As for the filter are there any that will fit, yes will they keep your warranty in effect, probably not. If the manufacturer of the filter does not say it meets requirements why should smart? What I am looking at is what would the average person do. Most people don't fabricate there own parts even something as simple as a gasket. The car is well worth what it asks of you.
karl
and no I don't think you are wrong

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not sure what the model number is, but I believe that the ML series and the C class with the 6-cylinder take 9 quarts of Mobil 1. The older 4 cylinders took - again, from memory - 6-7 quarts of the stuff.

Your pal,
Meat.
Wow! I learn something new and interesting every time I log into this forum. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe I'm completely ignorant here but what car needs 9 quarts of oil for a simple oil change?
Probably all Porsche's require 9 quarts or more these days. My old 1987 928 S4 took 8 quarts. Air cooled Porsche's used 11 quarts. Call it a flaw, or a feature. But, my Porsche had almost 160k on its motor when I sold it and ran flawlessly perfect and didn't leak (because I maintained it.) I even tracked it many times. It still ran a 14.0 flat in the quarter mile at 101 mph. I have no doubt that its motor would never have to be re-built unless its over-rev'd.

BTW: Smartcar Century City in North Hollywood, Ca charges $66.00 for an Oil Change.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good question

Hey Meaux,

You are OBVIOUSLY :D enjoying your smart: how many miles on it now :)?
I think I am close to 3000 miles now chief. I had to take the Avalon out today to get gas and a temp license. It is so BIG. Also a nice car but in a totally different way. I wish I could keep them both.

M :)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.