Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Amsoil is for people who want nothing but the best and want to spend the least amount of money. That's people like me.
Yes, we all know you like amsoil, and you will not sell everyone on it. I for one do not care for their marketing campaign. To each his or her own.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Yes, we all know you like amsoil, and you will not sell everyone on it. I for one do not care for their marketing campaign. To each his or her own.
It's not logical to not like it. What is there not to like?

- It's better than anything else you can buy
- It lasts longer than anything else you can buy

What else do you need? Why should it be a debate? If you can find something better, then use it. But there is nothing better. That's the issue.

All I want to see is ASTM results proving that any other synthetic oil is better and so far in 10 years, not one person has EVER been able to do this for me. Why is this such a big deal to do? Just show me the ASTM testing and then I can switch to that other oil. Then I will tell everyone to buy that oil instead of Amsoil.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's not logical to not like it. What is there not to like?

- It's better than anything else you can buy
- It lasts longer than anything else you can buy

What else do you need? Why should it be a debate? If you can find something better, then use it. But there is nothing better. That's the issue.

All I want to see is ASTM results proving that any other synthetic oil is better and so far in 10 years, not one person has EVER been able to do this for me. Why is this such a big deal to do? Just show me the ASTM testing and then I can switch to that other oil. Then I will tell everyone to buy that oil instead of Amsoil.

Who did the tests? were they monitored by an unbiased agency? Why can I only find those test on Amsoil sponsered websites? Unless I see results from another source that does not have a stake in the results I will withhold judgement.

In the mid 1960s Chevron U.S.A was the first to market and produce a complete range of 100% synthetic Polyalphaolefins based lubricants, which began to be marketed as a substitute for mineral oils for engine lubrication. Although in use in the aerospace industry for some years prior, synthetic oil first became commercially available in an American Petroleum Institute (API)-approved formula for automobile engines when standards were formalized for synthetic-based lubricants.
Other early synthetic motor oils marketed included "The Original Syn!" by SynLube in 1969, NEO Oil Company (formally EON) in 1970, which were dibasic acide esters, or diesters, and polyol esters-based synthetic lubricants. In 1971 All-Proof, now called Red Line, introduced a synthetic oil, followed fourth by Amsoil who packaged and resold a diester-based 10W40 grade from Hatco[1] in 1972, and then Mobil 1, introduced in North America in 1974 (with a PAO-based 5W20 grade).
Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Banned
315 Posts
Who did the tests? were they monitored by an unbiased agency? Why can I only find those test on Amsoil sponsered websites? Unless I see results from another source that does not have a stake in the results I will withhold judgement.

Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amsoil did not do the tests. They had an independent company do it.

The thing is, what tests do you have that Mobil 1 is better?

NONE! You are simply buying their oil "blindly" thinking it's so great just because it's popular. Popular does not equal best. If it did, then Hyundai would be a better performer than Ferrari.

I just don't understand how people are brainwashed to a product without knowing anything about it. It takes me more than a reason of being able to pick something up locally at Walmart to buy it. If somebody has something else better than will save me money, I'll look at it.

Anyway, it's your money wasted. Do what you want. It's only my problem when everyone wastes oil. It causes the prices of plastics and everything else to go up.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Amsoil did not do the tests. They had an independent company do it.

The thing is, what tests do you have that Mobil 1 is better?

NONE! You are simply buying their oil "blindly" thinking it's so great just because it's popular. Popular does not equal best. If it did, then Hyundai would be a better performer than Ferrari.

I just don't understand how people are brainwashed to a product without knowing anything about it. It takes me more than a reason of being able to pick something up locally at Walmart to buy it. If somebody has something else better than will save me money, I'll look at it.

Anyway, it's your money wasted. Do what you want. It's only my problem when everyone wastes oil. It causes the prices of plastics and everything else to go up.
This has been fun and will be my last post on this as I think dead horse is inbound

Who says that I use Mobil 1?
Amsoil paid an "independent" oil analysis company, no conflict of interest there, shocking. All I said was I do not care for their marketing, posting their test under many different sites but really just another Amsoil site trying to get you to purchase the product, but it must work. May you sell many quarts of your oil and filters.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well I agree that Amsoil is good oil, I personally don't like their distribution strategy.
To me it is similar to Amway...and for that reason I won't buy it.

Oh, by the way if you've ever driven a Hyundai Genesis you'd be impressed.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Well I agree that Amsoil is good oil, I personally don't like their distribution strategy.
To me it is similar to Amway...and for that reason I won't buy it.
That's a very dumb reason not to buy something.

I can't believe somebody would think like this. So you'd rather get technical help from somebody working at Walmart as opposed to somebody who is more of an expert at the product they sell? That makes no sense.

I guess I should not buy a car either. I don't like their marketing method. I should be able to go to the grocery store to buy a car instead of having a sales person earn a commission and have somebody that I can go to for questions.

Yeah, that's the ticket. I'll stop buying stuff for now on where anyone has the right to earn a living from it. If it's not sold at Wallyworld, I won't buy it. I just live under a rock the rest of my life.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Pity the rock............ Homeslice, nobody cares. If Amsoil was the second coming, everyone would be onboard. They aren't........... Besides, ALL the oil companies better get it while they can. Electric cars don't need massive amounts of lubricant.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Pity the rock............ Homeslice, nobody cares. If Amsoil was the second coming, everyone would be onboard. They aren't........... Besides, ALL the oil companies better get it while they can. Electric cars don't need massive amounts of lubricant.
Last time I checked, my car was not electric. The smart fortwo I want to buy isn't electric. None of the cars my family owns are electric or even a hybrid.

Amsoil is not the second coming. It's the 1st. Mobil 1 is the 2nd when they copied them.

Nothing wrong with Amway neither. I buy soap and vitamins from an previous co-worker who sells it. I wish I could get the same customer service from everyone that I deal with the way I get from this guy. I have a front loader washing machine and his washing machine soap lasts a long time for such small amounts... same principle of using Amsoil. You spend a little more up front, but it pays for itself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
homeslice said: I just don't understand how people are brainwashed to a product without knowing anything about it.

I think you're making DuckHunter's point for him!

BTW: My buddy has an '03 Chevy truck with a V6. It's nearing 100k miles on it with the original dino oil and filter. Zero problems.

From what I've been able to find out, unless it's overheated (literally "cooked"), oil doesn't wear out. Only the additive package does. The oil could become diluted with gasoline, either burned (carbon) or unburned (essentially a solvent), but synthetics are incredible at holding the junk in suspension. Amsoil is, by all accounts, good stuff, but it's not going to make my street car engine last longer.

ADiF

·
Banned
315 Posts
From what I've been able to find out, unless it's overheated (literally "cooked"), oil doesn't wear out. Only the additive package does. The oil could become diluted with gasoline, either burned (carbon) or unburned (essentially a solvent), but synthetics are incredible at holding the junk in suspension. Amsoil is, by all accounts, good stuff, but it's not going to make my street car engine last longer.

ADiF
Absolutely a 100% false statement. Also 100k miles on a car is NOTHING for Amsoil.

If you change the oil every 3000 miles with dino oil and it takes 6 quarts of oil, that's 33 oil changes x 6 quarts and 33 oil filters.

What is wrong with doing the same thing with 30 quarts of oil and 5 oil filters?

You're obviously picking dino oil to be cheap. Well, if you want to be cheap, then Amsoil is the way to go. You're not thinking long term.

There's no reason why you can't keep a car to 300,000 to 400,000 miles. Stop buying crap cars that you get bored of. Buy a car you REALLY enjoy and keep it to at least 200,000 to 250,000 miles before you get rid of it. New cars are not $2,000 to $5,000 anymore. I don't understand how people can spend $20,000 to $40,000 on a car and then have to complain about the cost of oil and then try to come up with all kinds of dumb reasons to use cheap oil that is costing them more money in the long run.

Why are you not doing the math?

Jiffy Lube @ $25 and oil change x 33 oil changes every 100k miles = $825

Amsoil @ $60 an oil change x 5 oil changes = $300 (and that's not factoring in the 2 to 4 MPG fuel increase which I've gotten in every single car I've ever used it in.)

So you're basically trying to convince me that I should use a lower quality oil that's going to cost more money long term and fill my engine full of waxes and parriffins. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?!?!?!

Remember, I was not using Amsoil from the get-go. For almost 20 years I used Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline, Mobil 1 and other stuff. I had no idea back then. I thought oil was oil.

Well, after a few experiences with switching to the Amsoil oil and ATF, I soon learned that there was a HUGE difference. If you ever saw that movie, "The Matrix", breaking out of that 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil change is sort of like the same thing. You're brain-washed to do those intervals because the oil companies are selling you those low quality oils and sell you tons of it. They are getting nearly 200 quarts of oil for every 100k miles of driving from you and laughing all the way to the bank.

My question is, WHY??!?! When you can do the same thing with Amsoil and only use 24-30 quarts and have the engine be in brand-new condition at 100-200k miles?

I saw a Ford van go 950,000+ miles on Amsoil. They took apart the engine and it only had 1% wear!!! And that's changing the oil ONCE EVERY 25,000 miles.

Stop being so close-minded. Try it. Do the 1-year drive and if you don't like it, switch back to what you were using before.

BE OPEN MINDED! I always am... not just for oil, but for many other products such as speakers, amps, tires, radios, surround sounds, TV's, etc. If you have something better than I'm using now, I'm always open for suggestions. I'm not loyal to any brand. There's no reason to be.

Those crap excuses of, "well, my daddy's been using it and my grandpappy's been using it before him, so I'm going to use it , too" is nothing but a huge cop out.

If everyone thought like this, we'd all be using 8-track tapes and never got into CD's or iPods.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Spit out the kool-aid, man... breathe in, breathe out. You're proseletyzing as well as employing the"straw man" style of debate wherein you make up what you want me to think, then attack it. Kinda 7th grade there, wildman.

1% wear in 950,000 miles? Citations please. Original timing chain/sprocket set? Original valve guides? Original cam & lifters? I've never been able to wear out an engine, but I've never been past 375,000. So far.

You might want to elaborate on that "100% false statement" thing. "Waxes & parrafins?" You must be joking! And you ask me what I'm smoking?

I believe this is now, officially, the "Not Another Oil Thread!"

My work here is finished.

ADiF

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.