Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly do the dealership do on the ED for this kind of service?
Is there any way to verify that in fact they did this service?
I think they just top off the fluids, reset the count down for the next service and wash the car.:(

·
Registered
646 Posts
Biggest part of the service is the battery check. When you take the car into the dealership, have the minimal charge on it that you can and still get there. They are going to run it all the way down when checking it, so it just goes quicker if you don't have a lot of charge on it when you get there.

I think they just top off the fluids, reset the count down for the next service and wash the car.:(
Why would you think that?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What exactly do the dealership do on the ED for this kind of service?
I can't find the service sheet for mine, but I recall them replacing some small part associated with the battery, and doing the battery test as trooplewis noted. There were a couple other small "check X" items, but I don't recall what they were. All of it was covered under warranty for me, so it was just the time waiting that got me.

On that note: Make sure to ask them if they've updated their EVSE to use the amperage their line can handle. My dealership had an electrician install their Keba with the documented breaker and properly gauged wire. The Keba has a setting for max charge though, which defaults to 10A, so if the electrician missed that, it will take 8 to 9 hours to charge after service instead of 5 or 6 hours. (This is a full drain/charge after all.)

If they don't have a L2 EVSE, get a rental for the day. On the L1 charger that comes with the car a full charge takes 14+ hours.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biggest part of the service is the battery check. When you take the car into the dealership, have the minimal charge on it that you can and still get there. They are going to run it all the way down when checking it, so it just goes quicker if you don't have a lot of charge on it when you get there.

Why would you think that?
I left the car with like 40% charge and when I picked it up it was about the same. They did not fully charged the car. I got home with 20% left. Recorded Radio stations in radio memory were not erased.
Assuming that they will disconnect the 12V battery like is a general rule to work in a modern car.

The car has only 6K miles and less than a year of use, why would the car really need service after all? According to both dealerships all was working fine with the car and I don't see nothing wrong with the car either.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find the service sheet for mine, but I recall them replacing some small part associated with the battery, and doing the battery test as trooplewis noted. There were a couple other small "check X" items, but I don't recall what they were. All of it was covered under warranty for me, so it was just the time waiting that got me.

On that note: Make sure to ask them if they've updated their EVSE to use the amperage their line can handle. My dealership had an electrician install their Keba with the documented breaker and properly gauged wire. The Keba has a setting for max charge though, which defaults to 10A, so if the electrician missed that, it will take 8 to 9 hours to charge after service instead of 5 or 6 hours. (This is a full drain/charge after all.)

If they don't have a L2 EVSE, get a rental for the day. On the L1 charger that comes with the car a full charge takes 14+ hours.
I'll post the service sheet here when I get home and perhaps you can post yours also to compare what they did to both cars. It would be very interesting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should all be spelled out in your service manual. Not a whole lot on the ED I don't think.

Len
The manual is not very detailed. I want to know the whole procedure in detail to do it myself. If someone here knows how or knows the source please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I left the car with like 40% charge and when I picked it up it was about the same. They did not fully charged the car. I got home with 20% left. Recorded Radio stations in radio memory were not erased.
Assuming that they will disconnect the 12V battery like is a general rule to work in a modern car.

The car has only 6K miles and less than a year of use, why would the car really need service after all? According to both dealerships all was working fine with the car and I don't see nothing wrong with the car either.
You got yours way after I got mine, and mine has almost 9000 miles on it and is still not due for its first service. If I recall, you had to take yours in for an issue other than the regularly scheduled maintenance, correct?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You got yours way after I got mine, and mine has almost 9000 miles on it and is still not due for its first service. If I recall, you had to take yours in for an issue other than the regularly scheduled maintenance, correct?
No, this is the first time that I take it for service and I did because the 10k miles/1yr warning light came on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny mine has not come on yet
You are in the right track.
I hope that I don't have to get the service every 6K/10 month in stead of every 10K/1yr like it should be.
How many months ago they you get yours? I got it on late mid August 2013.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I left the car with like 40% charge and when I picked it up it was about the same.
They did not do the battery capacity measurement. That involves starting at below 40% and then charging to over 90%. Either they didn't do it, or they then carefully drained the battery back to the original level :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Funny mine has not come on yet
That's because it's 10K miles or 1 year since it was last reset. For most of us early deliveries, that's the manufacture date, since most smart dealers didn't realize they should be resetting that on the day of sale. If your dealership figured out that before they sold you your car, odds are your 1-year will be from purchase (or you'll hit 10K first).

My indicator went off in late January (it's manufacture month), despite the fact that I picked up my car in May. I wound up delaying the visit until mid-March, mainly because I couldn't get to the dealer in the -5 degree weather we were having at the time. The first week where the temperature was over freezing I finally got it in, with under 5% to spare in each direction.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts