Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
smart is on page 2. :(

11 new cars to avoid - Yahoo! Autos

This diminutive model is small even by microcar standards and is woefully underpowered. It's saddled by an eccentric-shifting transmission, is largely impractical with only two seats and negligible trunk space and delivers a rough and noisy ride. On the plus side it’s able to park in roughly half the space of a normal car. It’s among the worst performing models tested by Consumer Reports, and takes a leisurely 14.6 seconds to reach 60 mph. Fuel economy is decent (but not spectacular) at 34/38 mpg city/highway; unfortunately the ForTwo requires premium-grade fuel, which tends to siphon off any financial savings at the pump.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm pretty sure they never put anybody in the car, and went on what other reviews have said.

The EPA mileage ratings are nonsense, honestly. I've been able to hit 50 with careful driving and mid 40's with average driving.

The ride isn't really noisy, but yes it's bumpy. I guess they've never driven a smaller bimmer with rubber band tires.

They clearly haven't put anything in the trunk either. You'd be amazed what I've tetris'd into my smart. I've done Ikea trips in it, transported decent sized shelving units, and everything for a weekend trip with the girlfriend with a 1500 watt microwave and then some I was delivering to a family members house.

Also, I wouldn't consider it underpowered, as I've passed others on the highway at 85, and I'm not sure how that 0-60 time was determined, it's closer to 12. The transmission is clunky if you don't know how to use it, yes.

I'm sure you all know that, and agree with it- I don't understand why so many reviews are hellbent on finding problems with our cars, without really testing them. It's frustrating.

Edit: They also bash the xterra. For driving like a truck. If I'm buying a large SUV, I want it to drive like a truck, not a minivan.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I thought it was a reasonably truthful assessment...I have experienced what was stated...

The funniest was the Wrangler review...They bashed it for what it was designed to do...off-roading.

·
17,384 Posts
After reading 100+ poor reviews you begin to just say "meh" and go on with life. I don't need positive reviews to feel good about my decision to go smart.

Besides, the 451 will soon be replaced as it is.

I still defend smart on YouTube though. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts