Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
The real question in my mind is will the "actual" Brabus come to North America, or will we get another sport kit version? :)

·
Banned
682 Posts
The real question in my mind is will the "actual" Brabus come to North America, or will we get another sport kit version? :)
It's a very expensive process to obtain EPA certification on any new 453 engine variations...

I'm not so sure Mercedes can justify the cost of certificating a separate Brabus power train for U.S. market...

I'd buy one in heartbeat... probably just depends on the unit volume potential in the U.S. market...the accountants will probably make that decision!

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Same story we got with the 451 BRABUS and diesel versions - just how serious is M-B about selling this car in North America? It's not like they don't have the money... :)

·
Banned
682 Posts
Same story we got with the 451 BRABUS and diesel versions - just how serious is M-B about selling this car in North America? It's not like they don't have the money... :)
I think the important question is...what would the MSRP price of a full Brabus version in the U.S.??

A $22,000 - $24,000 price tag might seriously limit unit potential for a full Brabus model...

But if the 453 is a sales success in the U.S....maybe that will pave the way for a full blown Brabus model...

Keep in mind...the 451 sport package Brabus was a very slow selling item...I purchased my '09 Brabus Coupe brand new (not a demo) with a $6,000 + discount...paying under $14,000 for it...it had been sitting on the lot for months...the dealership was willing to lose money to make it go away!

Bottom line...there has to be true demand for a full blown Brabus 453 if it's going to be sold in the States!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Since the first US Brabus offering was show and no go... MB would have to pull out all the stops to make a second round appetizing and like you said it would be priced to high to compete with existing sports car iron... Don't see it happening...

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
All I can say is they are guaranteed zero sales if they don't even offer the BRABUS. :)

For comparison (not conversion to dollars...) here are UK prices for:

Fiesta ST £17,250

Fiat 500 Abarth £14,255

smart fortwo BRABUS £14,020

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Y'all are talking about $22K as being prohibitive. Yet, that's what some of us paid for our 451s, or dang close to it. I think my 2008 cabrio was around $20,600. Would I pay another $1,400 for a full Brabus? Heck yeah, I paid $2,500 for the cabrio roof.

Surely I'm not alone.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Ah, like Houston smart was saying, to certify that particular motor would run the cost up even more for a limited amount over what the fleet of 453's would be...
I still don't see MB playing that card knowing what they offer in high end cars...

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Eliminating the Brabus modifications which are purely cosmetic, but retaining all of the performance mods would hold the price down a good deal. That would suit this potential buyer just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'm anxious to see what the new Brabus version improves over the base design.
For me the Brabus put the icing on the cake. It was an improvement over the matte finished front and rear and sides. I liked the enhancements so much on the Brabus, that I look forward to see the next, WITH Turbo in the states. Maybe it will have a Federal Mogul Plasma Ignition system.
Pie in the sky, just dreaming.

·
Banned
682 Posts
It's interesting to note that the Fiat 500 Abarth performance model has been a slow seller in the US market...and eventually Fiat was forced to offer large consumer rebates to bring the price down to acceptable levels to move all the excessive vehicle inventory sitting on dealers lots...

I'm sure Mercedes studies Fiat sales trends...since this is the closest competitor to the Smart Brand in terms of vehicle size...

A full Brabus package for the US can only be a reality if there is true retail demand...it will interesting to see if the US consumer will embrace the new 453...obviously the 451 was not a success on these shores!

I think the 453 has good chance of succeeding in the States...the new design will hopefully appeal to a larger segment of small car buyers...

But...it's all about consumer demand for the 453...that might be the key to offering a full blown Brabus version at some point in time...

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Let's face it, smart is never going sell in Chevy numbers - and M-B knows that. At one point somebody from smart USA (can't find the info right now) said 10K cars a year was what they were shooting for; if they sold more, fine. "Success" is a relative term and so far smart has been at or close to the 10K number. I think the 453 will do better, and a halo car like the BRABUS can only help. M-B stuffs every kind of powertrain they can think of into their larger cars and seems to be able to afford certifying those here; they have the money. The only question in my mind is are they willing to spend it on the smart brand? :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts