Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Car has driven perfectly for 16,000 miles since the new battery at 31k miles. 100 battery health. 90 miles range when fully charged, we all know that is a computer fantasy, but 55 miles no problem.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,697 Posts
I have an autel, it can reset all codes, see crash sensors and pyro fuse tripped.
Sadly, I see a trip to your friendly smart Center in the immediate future . . .:shrug:

And they will want to see your "Platinum Card."

·
Registered
105 Posts
hopefully will look at it tonight , module under driver seat is first place I will look.
there is an inertia switch somewhere, need to find it.
I have MB software with manuals will look there

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dead 12 Volt battery on Smart ED

I have a 2014 Smart ED I purchased in May of 2014 with around 1800 miles on it. I tried to drive it yesterday but the doors were locked and the remote key would not unlock them. I used the key the old fashioned way to get in and found all power was off. I found the 12 volt battery (why is there one anyway) and attached a trickle charger overnight. Now when I turn on the key I get a couple a weird message on the dash. "HV System Workshop" . Also the red battery light is on.
Do I have a defective 12 volt battery? I know if you only drive a gas engine auto on short trips your battery will eventually give out. is that the same with the Smart ED? If so thats crazy since thats the purpose of a Smart ED- short intown trips.:shrug:
Hi, I have the exact problem on my 2014 Smart ED.
I recharged the 12 volt battery and it still did not retain a charge.
Can I ask what brand battery did you put in?
Was itan OEM or an equivelent?
How did you clear the HV workshop errror?
Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
12v battery

will post picture, just found small battery from autozone
My original is still ok have charged it and tests 100% still.

MY car ended up with a chaffed wire, I posted details in the forum

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi, I have the exact problem on my 2014 Smart ED.
I recharged the 12 volt battery and it still did not retain a charge.
Can I ask what brand battery did you put in?
Was itan OEM or an equivelent?
How did you clear the HV workshop errror?
Thanks.
Does the car operate while there is charge in the 12V battery?

How long may the car been sitting with a dead 12V battery?

There is a discussion about this in the "case studies needed" sticky at the top of this thread. It is about reports of the 12V battery being left dead for a certain, as-yet-unknown period of time causing the HV pack to get bricked.

The reason for the separate 12V battery, instead of DC-DC converter that is kept powered up from the HV battery all the time, is a safety standard (whether industry or government I don't know) where all high voltage outside of the battery case (orange wires) must be completely shut off when the car is parked and not charging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced the 12 volt battery and the car operates/ charges like normal. The battery was never left out of the vehicle except for the few hours the day I replaced it.
But I cannot adjust the clock, reset the odometer or even see my remaining range on the dash due to the HV System Workshop error.
Does anyone know how to get rid of this message?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced the 12 volt battery and the car operates/ charges like normal. The battery was never left out of the vehicle except for the few hours the day I replaced it.
But I cannot adjust the clock, reset the odometer or even see my remaining range on the dash due to the HV System Workshop error.
Does anyone know how to get rid of this message?
Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could try the procedure that resets the maintenance minder. If that doesn't work, you probably need the dealer's computer to clear the error.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've gotten that error to appear a few times during the development of the battery scanner tool.

In our case, it always was a temporary fault from a wiring or coding error and went away after removing the device with a few cycles of turning the car on and off. It's a scary looking warning (especially when I caused it on someone else's car), but I wouldn't get too worried just yet as it might go away on its own very shortly.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
I've gotten that error to appear a few times during the development of the battery scanner tool.

In our case, it always was a temporary fault from a wiring or coding error and went away after removing the device with a few cycles of turning the car on and off. It's a scary looking warning (especially when I caused it on someone else's car), but I wouldn't get too worried just yet as it might go away on its own very shortly.
Hmm, I never heard the report of that happening on "someone else's car," i.e. me being that someone else. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could try the procedure that resets the maintenance minder. If that doesn't work, you probably need the dealer's computer to clear the error.
My autel resets all codes on my 2013 smart ed. Even the workshop one. Mine had a chaffed wire that needed repair

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the autel md802 maxdiag elite from 2017
I allows you to add many makes models for at least 1st year, sees all batt voltage, hundreds of sensors steeringle angle etc. And resets all modules. More support than others for under $200

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting!

It's definitely worth the $$$ to clear my HV System workshop code on my dash.
MB would probably charge me that much to run a diagnostics on my car.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts