Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I posted in the new members area about how I got this smart passion for my wife as a surprise for Christmas and her birthday, now though her Pacifica is leaking oil onto the alternator and serpentine belt, so she will need a new car sooner than I wanted. The guy told me this was just a alternator issue, when I first got it I saw the alternator belt was broken, the right rear tire was flat and fender was damaged, upon getting it home I put key in the ignition and heard grinding noise and had the three dashes of death.
So I researched and took the shifter motor off, I removed the two ends and cleaned the motors parts with CFC mass air flow sensor cleaner, drenched it and got it all the way clean, I reassembled it and reinstalled it. I noticed the po broke the black piece the socket goes onto, he also crack and broke a piece of the housing where a bottom bolt went. I put the three bolts back in it. Tightened it, reinstalled the interior cleaned up underneath the carpet and all by hand, now the car no longer has the three lights of death, I am going to put fluid in the radiator up front , then the 10mm bolts to the coil packs are rusted and crumbling, so to figure how to remove those,? Then I’ll order new coil packs, alternator and belt. Then try to see where some of these hoses go. Of anyone has pictures of the engines assembled I’d appreciate it. Starter is new, I don’t hear fuel pump though....so will replace that also. Besides the fluids, what else would you all recommend I do before trying to crank it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Check all the fluids, serpentine belt, check the battery and you should be good for a test. They can be very particular about voltages; when there's a problem what seems like it should work for any other car just won't cut it with the Smart sometimes. Once you get used to the quirks and unique bits of the car like the automated manual trans, it really starts to feel like a normal car.

I can attest that problems with the shift motors can disrupt the whole system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the shift motor cleaned and now I noticed it doesn’t have any fluid in the radiator reservoir, battery is charged the serpentine belt and the ac belt are shredded so I have to replace those and fill that first, then I will see about somehow getting the coil pack nuts off

·
Registered
333 Posts
If the vehicle was operated without the alternator/water-pump belt there is a good possibility that it was overheated. The lack of coolant in the radiator fill/expansion tank also points toward this possibility. It does not take much to warp the head on this engine. :(

Before you dump a lot of money into it, I'd recommend doing a compression or leak-down test to determine the engine's condition.

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,947 Posts
Welcome to SCoA, how many miles on this MY13?

May have been some early clues BEFORE you reduced the sellers inventory of 25 DEAD “projects?”

Toaster (and Forrest Gump?) have some sage advice...

USED smarts can be “like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get!”

With that in mind, may not want to buy random parts to throw at it until you identify The Why of what caused it to seize.

Overheating has been known to kill a smart and low coolant/shredded belt can be telltale clues?

Good luck, we support your efforts to bring another smart back to life!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I got the shift motor cleaned and now I noticed it doesn’t have any fluid in the radiator reservoir, battery is charged the serpentine belt and the ac belt are shredded so I have to replace those and fill that first, then I will see about somehow getting the coil pack nuts off
If the radiator reservoir was dry, you might want to burp the system. There' a small hose that connects to a pipe on the head, between it and the trans, a little below and to the rear of the throttle body you can disconnect to let the air out (if any).

I also think you're best off doing a compression test before sinking any money into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts