Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5,000 mile Rebuildable title in Floriduh?

WITHOUT "undercarriage battery pack box" that was damaged. Damage required that the battery pack be recycled by M-B but NO REPLACEMENT? Seller says no other damage but front spoiler looks to have taken a hit before the battery pack?

Buyer beware this MA salvage vehicle has been floating out there since at least March and one yard places the repair at $47,604, guess that confirms the $25,000 cost of a battery pack?

As always, YMMV?

Smart Electric Drive Ed | eBay

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
kind of sounds like an indicator of how much the ED is being subsidized and how much it would cost if it weren't. I also think these kind of repairs are a legitimate concern for EV owners, but that's just my take on it!

·
Registered
462 Posts
kind of sounds like an indicator of how much the ED is being subsidized and how much it would cost if it weren't. I also think these kind of repairs are a legitimate concern for EV owners, but that's just my take on it!
I feel that MB is just overcharging or not being truthful. Batteries have a relatively well-established price per kwh, and at that pricing a Smart battery would be more expensive to replace than a Tesla battery.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I feel that MB is just overcharging or not being truthful. Batteries have a relatively well-established price per kwh
hmm, manufacturing cost is about $500 per kWh for automotive batteries (don't use lower numbers for laptop cells). McKinsey: Lithium Ion Battery Prices to Reach $200 Per kWh by 2020 | PluginCars.com

That would be $9000 for our battery. 100% to 150% markup is typical for automotive spare parts, so a retail price of $25k is within industry standards. Who is lying or overcharging?

at that pricing a Smart battery would be more expensive to replace than a Tesla battery.
Do you have pricing for Tesla batteries? I'm curious!

·
Registered
521 Posts
hmm, manufacturing cost is about $500 per kWh for automotive batteries (don't use lower numbers for laptop cells). McKinsey: Lithium Ion Battery Prices to Reach $200 Per kWh by 2020 | PluginCars.com

That would be $9000 for our battery. 100% to 150% markup is typical for automotive spare parts, so a retail price of $25k is within industry standards. Who is lying or overcharging?

Do you have pricing for Tesla batteries? I'm curious!

The battery for the Model S should cost between $42,500 and $55,250, or half the cost of the car. (Tesla Tech Officer) JB Straubel indicated that it is already much lower. “They’re way less than half, actually,” he says. “Less than a quarter in most cases.”

As a point of reference, the Model S lineup ranges from $71,000 for the entry level 60 kWh car to $81,000 for the standard 85 kWh version and another $10,000 for the P85 (85 kWh Performance Edition).

Using the “most cases” reference from JB Straubel, that would most likely mean that the standard 85 kW version Model S would be a safe bet to have battery costs at “less than a quarter” – that translates to a total maximum cost of about $20,250 or $238/kWh. Pretty cheap.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks for the info, even if it's just speculation

Typically "cost" means cost to the OEM (i.e. Tesla), while "price" would be what an end-user is expected to pay. The smart ED replacement battery spare part price is ~ $25k. Given the typical spare parts margins, the cost per kWh is comparable to Tesla.

But this does point out one advantage of positioning for an EV as a luxury car: the battery cost is smaller relative to the very expensive luxury glider that a model S is. In the smart, the battery cost is easily more than the relatively cheap glider.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I feel that MB is just overcharging or not being truthful. Batteries have a relatively well-established price per kwh, and at that pricing a Smart battery would be more expensive to replace than a Tesla battery.
I'm sure there is something to that, but most people don't realize how out-of-bed most EVs are priced to what they actually cost to produce. Most companies are losing money hand-over-fist and there is no indicator that smart is any different. you aren't just paying for the batteries, but the pack structure, the R&D etc. Anyway, the battery is just an energy storage device, and so far, not a very good one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That guy is starting the bidding at $9k for an ED Cabrio sled. For comparison, I won the eBay auction for my ED Cabrio for $11,600, and then paid $5010 to "buy off" the previous owner's Battery Assurance Plus plan, making the battery wholly owned by me.

It's too bad though, because buying a replacement battery is abound $20000, and I highly doubt the real bill of materials is above the $5010 price. Guess I better try not to run over anything... or maybe I should install one of those ballistic titanium plates like Tesla uses!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I won the eBay auction for my ED Cabrio for $11,600, and then paid $5010 to "buy off" the previous owner's Battery Assurance Plus plan, making the battery wholly owned by me.
No BigChief, you stole that eBay ED cabrio!

Talked with the seller several times, had it not been geographically undesirable, one of us would have PAID MORE MONEY to take it home.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Easy now, I was just giving comparables. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Edit: And for what it's worth, Massachusetts is about to tack on a $2500 tax credit in additional to the federal... like California that'll total $10000 off and will make a brand new ED with battery the same price as my "steal".

·
Registered
51 Posts
That sled is relisted at a lower $7,250. If it gets any lower I might be tempted just to have it as spare parts for mine. Maybe someone could make it into a project and make their own LiFePo4 battery pack?

Oh, forgot to mention to MB DNA... if you really meant that you would have paid more money... hey, I love my ED but I'd never turn down a couple thousand profit if you wanna message me ;)

I bet these cars would be cheap to ship on a pallet, I've seen arcade machines that take up more space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts