Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing a lot of '14 s off lease at various dealers in So. Calif.
On the Carfax reports of many of them I see activity at Dealership noted as
"Tire condition and pressure checked"
Is this 'code' for TPMS issues?
Other notes like "Computer reprogrammed" Is this more than likely an update and not
necessarily a problem?
Others have no history at Dealership at all-is this a Red Flag due to lack of battery maintenance/check?
Its my understanding that the BAP includes battery check at no cost
(Im assuming most if not all Leased cars have the BAP)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Answers,

1. No. They are just checking the tires like anyone should do. The TPMS is not intended to replace regular pressure checks.

2. This was just a minor firmware update - it improves the accuracy of the "range left" indicator I think.

3. It is not a red flag - only an indication that you should ask the dealer to do a battery condition check (takes just a couple minutes) before you decide to buy. A good pack should not be much below 50AH of capacity at the worst.

4. Yes, the BAP includes an annual battery check. Assuming this car is selling for the going very low market prices I've been seeing in the eastern US (about $6K), I'm not so sure the BAP is a good value. Read the fine print carefully - under some BAP agreements, you are stuck with the monthly payments unless you cough up a lump-sum $5000.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
If you are looking for a ‘14 ED Cabrio in brand-new condition with only 2300 miles on it, no BAP, and still with 42 months of factory warranty remaining... for under $10K, see my ad on the forum or message me directly.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
It seems that the only financial penalties assessed on a leaseholder is for excess miles and/or wear and tear. Battery maintenance though included in BAP, is misunderstood by both the lessee and many smart Centers and can go unfulfilled.

If you are considering an off lease ED and it appears to have incomplete service milestones, you may want to require the seller to update the service AND provide a current battery capacity test as part of "the deal."

This may be a deal killer especially if you are negotiating outside the M-B family?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you all for the insight.
Is it likely a phone call to the Dealer (and a V.I.N.) will tell me if BAP is in place(or if owner 'owns' the battery)?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts