Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to our wonderful Illinois winter roads, I had a rear Brabus wheel go down last weekend. My thought is going aftermarket 15's all the way around, both for the added rubber to avoid doing this again, and being able to rotate tires from now on.

Any issues I need to be aware of by making this change? Comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Performance with larger tires and the Brabus, or pothole safety with the 15's. It's your call.

I put 16" on my smart to meet the wheel and the rubber in the middle.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that's the real question. Is the 15 and the same width all around going to really knock down my ride quality? Is a 16 all around the way to go? And if so, does anyone have the conversions to keep my speedo and odometer accurate?

This is relatively new territory for me(Wheel swaps), and I don't want to drop a grand and screw it up. lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Performance with larger tires and the Brabus, or pothole safety with the 15's. It's your call.

I put 16" on my smart to meet the wheel and the rubber in the middle.
Also... what wheels did you use? If I go 15, I'm considering O.Z. X2's, just have to decide what width. I hadn't even considered 16's, so I don't know what the options are there.

And who has the turbo with the 15's? Does he have the Brabus setup going with that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was VERY happy with the set up I used on my 2008 smart. Wheels-all 4 were Rial 15X6.
Tires-all 4 were Falken all season195-50-15. Improves braking,cornering,crosswind stability,
longer wear,and can properly rotate tires.No noticeable change in MPG.In my opinion M-B
should have put 4 of the 15X6 wheels on our smarts straight from Smartville......................

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check out the rial a little harder too. I just didn't want to basically take away the brabus from my brabus by doing this.Lol

When I do this, do I need to worry at all about spacers or anything, or are the new wheels going to just be plug and play?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I'll check out the rial a little harder too. I just didn't want to basically take away the brabus from my brabus by doing this.Lol

When I do this, do I need to worry at all about spacers or anything, or are the new wheels going to just be plug and play?
195/50s on 15x6 rims are plug and play. I ordered four 15x6 Rials with tires already mounted/balanced with new TPMS sensors and I just swapped them on myself.

I ran 195/50s on that setup for about 50K miles then moved to 185/55s for more all-season tire selection and a bit more cushion, but it did give up a little in the handling department. If handling trumps ride comfort for you, the 195/50s would be the way to go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I think I'm going to go with the O.Z. 15x6.5 wheels. I looked at the Rials, and with those being silver and my Brabus being silver, I'm just not thrilled with the potential look.

So my next question: With 15x6.5 wheels all around, running 195/50/15 tires, my tire choices are Continental ContiProContact, or 2 different series of Kumho tires, all three being all season tires. I thought I had read on here about a lot of people having issues with Kumho tires wearing pretty quickly. Anyone have input on that?

I do appreciate everyone's help on all this. I have done a lot of changes to cars, I just never have made many serious wheel and tire changes on something as unique as the smart. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts
Just about all brands of tires have a lower mileage rating if you can not rotate your tires. I have worn through a set of Kumhos and they lasted twice as long as the Continentals. I was happy with how they handled and all. I didn't use them in the winter as I have a set of Blizzacks mounted on rims for that. I did use the stock size Kumhos front and rear. Been thinking about a same size set for summer and winter as all my tires are pretty well worn out this year.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'm going with 4 rear O.Z. rims and the Kumhos. Getting ready to enter the credit card info and hit send. And soon I'll be selling some Brabus rims. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts