Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am from Alberta, Canada. Love my new to me smart 451. I need to change tires on mine and looking at aftermarket rims. The only option I see is a 15x8 FAST wheel with a center bore of 72.6. would this work for all four corners? Any advice on where to get rims? Unfortunately I can't find other aftermarket options.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rial 15x6..............

Tire Rack sells a nice 6spoke 15x6 wheel for under $150.per wheel. Put on 4 of the 15x6 wheels and some 195 tires. It
makes a HUGE improvement,in how the car handles. And NO problem with the ESP/electronic nannies that other wheel +
tire set ups might cause! SHOULD have been 15x6 from the factory!!..............

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
There is plenty of room in the rear wheel wells so wide rims isn't a problem there. The biggest interference problem is on the front. You need to be real critical of the inside edge of the wheel and the front strut. As I have stated here before I lifted my Smart 2 inches. I went with an aftermarket 15 x 7 wheel and opted for 205/60 r15 tires. I thought well if there is any inside interference on the front with the strut then I will just install a wheel spacer. Well under a certain condition the inside of the tire will just touch the strut. So I made a set of front wheel spacers was just 1/8" thick, just enough to eliminate the front rub. Well when I spaced it out 1/8" then the 205 tires were just out far enough that they began to rub on a tight turn on the outside edge of the inner fender. So if I had a stock Smart with no lift I would limit my rims to 6.5 inch and certainly no wider than a 195. That front suspension is pretty tight quarters and there is not alot of suspension travel. All 4 same sized tires is good. Go as tall as possible to soak up the bumps. Shorter sidewalls = bent rims when you hot large potholes. The wider the better for handling. I thought my Smart with stock 155's up front and 175's in the back handled great, but the larger tires it sticks to the road like glue and the steering is very tight and precise. Night and day difference. My tires are just outside the edge of the fenders and it rooster tails the water out behind the car like a boat. But I like the stance. So remember bigger is better but just be aware of that front strut clearance and with taller tires wheel spacers isn't always the answer. DCO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the replies everyone!! I ended up going the safe route and 15x6 genius wheels all around with 195/40/17 on order! I will post pictures once the tires are in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 18s were indeed overkill albeit they looked nice to me but the 16s are color matched and provide a much better ride. Im at work on the computer so I can't upload just this second lol but if you are that interested in seeing how they fit my instagram is lordpaige. I will be uploading pictures later of the wheel setup and tailormade interior

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 18s were indeed overkill albeit they looked nice to me but the 16s are color matched and provide a much better ride. Im at work on the computer so I can't upload just this second lol but if you are that interested in seeing how they fit my instagram is lordpaige. I will be uploading pictures later of the wheel setup and tailormade interior
for sure i will look up the instagram page. thank you!

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Brabus007 it was your very picture that gave me the inspiration for the wheels on Max. I love the look of your Fortwo. My only problem was that I had to get Matte Black wheels as that was all that was available. The disc brake covers are very cool looking too.But I still like the results. Thank you Brabus007. DCO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts