Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looked at the 16" wheels "Sport Edition" coming in to Tire Rack? Sport Edition SM3 Silver Painted

What do you think? They're paired with Yokohoma S-drive. I'm looking for a "cushier" ride. Will these help? I'd stay at 15" but then I'd have to stay with the Continentals, which would bring me back to square one. Also, any thoughts on the 3 spoke wheel design? Would they be more likely to get banged up from potholes? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like them, but would want them in "White".
I guess I'd have to paint them myself.
I hope someone posts pictures of their smart with these.

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone looked at the 16" wheels "Sport Edition" coming in to Tire Rack? Sport Edition SM3 Silver Painted

What do you think? They're paired with Yokohoma S-drive. I'm looking for a "cushier" ride. Will these help? I'd stay at 15" but then I'd have to stay with the Continentals, which would bring me back to square one. Also, any thoughts on the 3 spoke wheel design? Would they be more likely to get banged up from potholes? Thanks!
Here you go! Before and after... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have these, but me and a buddy sanded down the silver paint to bare metal and did something different. I would take a pic but it is dark now and the car is up in the air until tomorrow morning while I am fixing my spring installation screw up. Thanks to Randy Zimmerman's video I now know what I did. Wheels ride great, tires have great traction, feels really solid.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont have the SM3s, but I did end up buying custom rims that are 16X7s. I have lowered the rear, and 205/45/16s work. Even with the lowering job there is travel space so the tires do not hit the wells. I added a 15mm spacer so my car sits a little staggered and also wider in the back (the outside wheel line sits right outside the well)

The S drives are nice, but if you dont want that bumpy of a ride, select a bigger wheel size. It will change the gas mileage and will feel a little slower off the line. I went with Kumho Ecstas because I wasnt going to fork out another 100+ per tire when I could get them all under $200. My tire noise isn't too bad, but I havent rode in a smart that has the SDrives in them.

Also rotation becomes a non factor because you can do a normal tire rotation every 5k if you want. I will do mine at 10k.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I finally got around to washing and waxing the car and here is a pic with the painted wheels I picked up at Tirerack. They are 16x6.5 all around so I can rotate and they had the Kuhmo 205/45/16 tires on clearance for only $40 each.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yup those are the ones i have, tho i went with the 7.5 inch with 205 40 16. also went with black dust covers to give a nice black background to the silver spokes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts