Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up "Dotty Dupree" on Wed and driving over bumps the roof window clunks! I pushed up on the window (drivers seat) and seems loose?:confused: I also hear a clunking noise somewhere in the rear. I realize that she isn't a luxury car....(don't tell her that!) but I'm not sure these noises are normal. Also, she seems to almost stall out when I first start her and driving off. Just wondering.....also I see so many problems with others and their smarts. Should I be afraid?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
545 Posts
We have to remember you are hearing a lot of concerns here in the threads, probably a very small percent of the actual population that has the smart.
When i worked in customer relations I thought the products were junk, but then I realized I was only getting bad calls and it was only about 0.5 percent of the total units sold... So it's not so bad... Nothing major to worry about...
I would be concerned when you see 10+ posts about the same issue over and over again... Then we have a distinct pattern. Like the alarm pops into my head. That could be an issue they have not fully figured out yet...
Time will tell as we get more and more units in the states and more people on this forum...
I agree with GHammerly - Might be a good idea to make a list and take it to the dealer to look over, be hands on and be insistent with them.
I haven't even gotten my smart yet and I know everyone that works at the smart center by first name, it is important to build that relationship, especially when you have issues like these... They are questionable, but they should be able to tell you if it is considered "normal"...

(My dealer is - smart Center VA Beach)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Just picked up "Dotty Dupree" on Wed and driving over bumps the roof window clunks! I pushed up on the window (drivers seat) and seems loose?:confused: I also hear a clunking noise somewhere in the rear. I realize that she isn't a luxury car....(don't tell her that!) but I'm not sure these noises are normal. Also, she seems to almost stall out when I first start her and driving off. Just wondering.....also I see so many problems with others and their smarts. Should I be afraid?
Thanks for any advice!
When I push on the roof it will flex a bit that is not loose, the roof is bonded in (glued) the suspension can bottom out on bumps my pickup pounds flat and send a clunk throughout the car do your best to go around road imperfections. Here in the northeast that sometimes means the median but dont go that far...she won't stall and will smooth out as you both get accustomed to each other. Don't be afraid enjoy Dotty Dupree. :D
karl

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
There was a series of new 07 451s in Europe that the factory did not properly coat the window sealing area with primer ...left it powder coat (the adhesive does not stick properly)... the adhesive failed and the roof or windshield leaked...I don't think any reported thumping or noises...

Lots of things can make the noises... but I would still have a smart tech take a look at the roof and windshield attachment...

I bet it is acoustics and the passenger seat belt buckle is banging on the plastic trim or seat back....

·
Registered
193 Posts
While the vehicle is under warranty and when you taken possession of the vehicle and did not experience such noises, the Dealer is obligated to investigate such abnormalities. You on the other hand are responsible to do a thorough inspection of everything about the vehicle prior to taking possession of the vehicle BEFORE driving it off the lot.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The clunk of this nature that I hear is the DOOR actually shifting down a nidge, when going over a bump, and a bit of more openness of the frameless window.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Take it to the dealer. I did have the same problem (left driver side was not glued/flexing and I did have a lot wind noise at highway speeds). Roof was replaced. Dealer told me that it was a second smart they need to replace the roof on. On the good side, It took only 2 days to get the part and few hours to installed it.

Good luck.

Cube

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
By the way, I did have the same clunking noise when driving over speed bumps, It was sounded like it is coming from the back of the car. Clunking is gone after roof was replaced. It is possible that it was roof glass hitting the body of the car. Take it to the dealer as soon as possible. IT IS A WARRANTY ISSUE.

Cube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts