Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Smart Car Buyer Survey

I got my newsletter from Smart Cars of America. They have published a second survey site called a Smart Car Buyer survey.

They say it is intended for those who have paid the $99.00 reservation fee or anyone who wants to voice his or her opinions on the subject of the Smart's distribution, and sales for America.

You need to register. It was a fairly simple procedure and a rather well designed survey that could provide facts and figures. The survey style questionnaire has pertinent inquiries that could be beneficial if the information supplied is analyze correctly. It can enable everyone to track the cars progression.

"Smart Cars of America, is asking for your participation, as we initiate the second North American Smart Fortwo survey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep! 2nd survey done too!

Okay-okay! I've done both survey's now which doesn't help my great anticipation for this sweet little ride! It just simply fuels my anxiousness to get this babie in Michigan and do some cruisin!!:cool:

"Patience" can be cruel sometimes!
Hollar!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Glad to get the survey and happy to participate. The skeptic in me wonders if it is another way to sort the serious buyers from those who just had an extra $99 laying around.

I have to disagree with this though:

It was a fairly simple procedure and a rather well designed survey that could provide facts and figures. The survey style questionnaire has pertinent inquiries that could be beneficial if the information supplied is analyze correctly. It can enable everyone to track the cars progression.
They need to hire a proof reader and probably there are turn-key providers who specialize in setting up surveys of this type. Several grammatical errors and some technical glitches as well make me wonder who is making this stuff up? (OK, so I just ended that sentence with a preposition so I'm not perfect either! :)) e.g. One of the first questions asked what color you chose and which tridion color but only allowed one answer to be selected. You could select the body color or the tridion color but not both like the question wanted.

Oh well. BTW, does anyone know the relationship between Penske and the SmartCar of America website that is doing the survey?

tm

P.S. One of the first questions asks when we made our reservation. Correct me if I'm confused, but shouldn't they know that already since they sent the survey to those of us who made a reservation?

·
Registered
564 Posts
SCoA Penske Relationship

There is absolutely no relationship between Penske and Smart Car of America. From the disclaimer at the bottom of their website:

"Smart Cars of America, LLC is an independent, privately-held company is not affiliated with, or authorized by smart Canada Division, Daimler Chrysler, smart gmbh, the manufacturer of SMART automobiles, the smartUSA division of Mercedes-Benz LLC, or UnitedAuto Group, the exclusive authorized U.S. importer and distributor of the smart vehicle."

In fact, Smart Car of America appears, from my perspective, to have an agenda which is generally anti-Penske Auto Group. See for example their Smart Info Station page, which quotes directly and at length a somewhat pessimistic viewpoint expressed elsewhere in this forum. No counterpoint is included for balance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yea, MN, I understand the disclaimer but there has to be more to it in my mind. :confused: Let's see, Penske is the official distributor/dealership chain and SCoA is the . . . ________ what? Advertiser, marketing unit, ???

More unknowns that hopefully will be cleared up when the local dealer calls. This fall.

tm

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Possible agenda.

Yes.

What's up with this site?

Aren't the Mods just supposed to moderate ?

This place is turning into an anti Penske rant. This is not fair to other posters, nor will these actions build your site.

A2jack.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Same General Confusion

Yea, MN, I understand the disclaimer but there has to be more to it in my mind. :confused: Let's see, Penske is the official distributor/dealership chain and SCoA is the . . . ________ what? Advertiser, marketing unit, ???

More unknowns that hopefully will be cleared up when the local dealer calls. This fall.

tm
Shack01,
I had the same basic confusion as their site was offering a $55 early reservation fee so I was not sure which one or both were legitimate. I even wrote both an email indicating the confusion and neither returned the email.
For now, I must consider as you have just remaining confused until the dealer calls me to come sign the papers. I already know who that will be but the dealer has not received official confirmation that they will be as yet. I think that will come later in the Fall as the GM of the dealership told me that their becoming the dealer was not yet finalized. This same dealer hosted the Smart Car tour in late July so I thought that was a good sign that they will eventually become the dealer.
On another subject, I went onto the site and filled in the survey but never got any word back. I didn't get an invitation to the showing at this dealership either....found out about it from some coworkers who happened to see it going on as it is near my workplace. I sure hope my reservation didn't get dropped thru the cracks as I reserved on March 20th, #322571XXXX.
My anxiety to get my own increases as time goes on as well so you are not alone, Shack01! Time and patience will tell....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jonnysan,

My confirmation e-mail came on the 22nd of March, so we're in the same time frame. At least you have a potential dealer lined up. The Las Vegas tour stop was held at the Fashion Show Mall! :eek: so no hint yet of who's on deck for being the local dealer.

Curious that your partial number is not even close to mine. Must be some super secret code embedded in the digits. :D

tm

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
My understanding is that the only company authorized by MB to distribute the car is Smart USA (UAG, Penske Affiliate). If you paid any amount of money to anybody else for a "reservation, kiss your money good bye. Smartcar of America, Inc. is nothing more than a commercially owned forum set up to promote the products of sponsors. They attract the sponsors by creating a targetable user community that would be interested in the sponsors' products. In this case Smart Car aftermarket products and maybe even grey market car sellers.

I haven't seen much anti-Penske flaming on this forum, just a bit of angst and frustration from some who are impatient for the introduction of the car.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well said.

But while I agree that most people on these forums are not really pro- or anti-Penske Group, SCoA itself seems to be adopting a strongly negative tone. Here are couple of propaganda gems culled from the various SCoA sites:

"Unfortunately, if customer services resemble the existing attitude and improvised remarks implemented by those in charge of the 2008 Smart cars launch, the Americas love for the Smart may not be as we had anticipated."

"Not since, when it was announced that the Mini Cooper was on its way has a car caused such a buzz. However, the 2008 Smart Fortwo could have the distinction of being the most misinformed, confusing, and problematic car introduction to date."

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
There was a serious lack of valid information at the introduction of the MINI as well, and a lot of erroneous information was being disemminated on the enthusiast sites such as NAM and MINI2. I don't take too much stock in the random speculation, but will do some myself. When I have real information, I try to post images of official releases made by MB, Smart USA, UAG, Penske a dealer that may have been awarded a franchise. I also scraped up a court document to post showing the relationship between Smart and UAG.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thoughts on the Survey

I tried to take the survey but when I pressed the Vote button, I was prompted to run some ActiveX add-on, which I declined (due to extreme paranoia on my part about downloading unknown stuff to my PC). Anyone else experience this? Did the download? Still have a working PC?

A couple of thoughts on the survey itself:
  • More detail questions about the test drive might be useful (how did you find the gearchange, ride, noise, comfort, fit and finish, etc.)
  • A question about what options you would like (versus what options are available). Consider this part of my campaign for "give us cruise control"...
Other than that, I would seriously suggest they hire someone who creates surveys for a living for version 3. The overall intent of the survey seemed fine, but it really needs work in terms of meaningful results.

As an example, if you want to know how people feel about a particular issue (e.g. PAG's communication of pricing info), ask a question in the form: "How satisfied are you with xxxx...." and have them select from Very Satisfied, Somewhat Satisfied, etc. That way you can come up with a meaningful statistical representation of the results (....95% of those surveyed were Dissatified or Very Dissatisfied with xxxx).

·
Registered
564 Posts
This is a Smart Car of America survey, from their website www.iwantasmartcar.com. I've not heard of any "official" PAG survey to date. Not sure that it'll really be of much benefit, despite SCoA's hype. The questions are so vague and unstructured that getting any meaningful results from the back end will be hard (other than deeply insightful stuff like "most people want a blue one...").

That said, I don't mind participating so long as isn't going to download some crap onto my PC.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to comment on SCoA's feeling of smart USA.

Obviously everyone has mixed feelings but us here at SCoA want nothing more then to have this car in our possession and if means leaning on PAG and Smart USA, we are all for it but by no means do we mean any harm or negativity towards PAG.

We want to see the smart car, thats pretty much the bottom line. I hope that everyone here wanting one as bad as I gets one next year but its a great possibility that not everyone will get one. This is something I wish we could change but unfortunately we can not. All we can hope for is that the car makes it to America, the general population loves it and that the Smart Brand grows bringing us additional smart models like the roadster, the deisel and maybe even a whole new model smart.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Disclaimer Smart Car of America

People have a tendency to read and hear what they what.

I went through all pages of the Smart Car of America web site. They have comprehensive and lengthy disclaimers at the bottom of all pages stating

1 - 20 of 24 Posts