Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
if i were to put 17 inch wheels with say a 185/60 would there be any clearance issues up front

i purchased a Smart Book that describes the history of the smart car and on the cover this car has a 6 spoke that looks something like an american mag......where there any wheels like this on any year car. i am in love with those wheels and would like to have some

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,575 Posts
I think you would have clearance issues with a tire that tall, that is if you can even find that size in a 17". I have 215/35-17 on the front of my car and that is about as wide as you can go without issues. I think the tire you plan on is even taller than mine. My tires clear the top of the strut tower by 5mm. That's about as close as I would want to go.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i happened to run across a picture of an 06 passion with those wheels i like. does anyone remember them?

I wish i could find a 5 or 6 spoke wheel kinda like the American mag wheels that aren't so darn expensive cause i'm on a tight budget.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I love my 3 spoke rims! similar to what are on the Roadsters in Europe. Sadly they are no longer available so I better not damage one. Seems like they do that with rims. They are all over and then they disappear. Sometimes you get lucky and find used ones but that can take a lot of waiting.

my 3 spoke rims. You can change the color on the spokes I have black, blue, yellow and red..They are 15 x 7 so I can use the same size tires all around. I also have the stock rims (laying in the foreground) this was when I got the new tires on the rims and put on the car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
if i were to put 17 inch wheels with say a 185/60 would there be any clearance issues up front

i purchased a Smart Book that describes the history of the smart car and on the cover this car has a 6 spoke that looks something like an american mag......where there any wheels like this on any year car. i am in love with those wheels and would like to have some
17's with 60 series? My gut feeling is nope but depends on what you got now.... This will help you figure it out but personally I think it will look weird.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

The book is likely smart thinking by Tony Lewin, I read it when it first came out. Interesting story on how smart came about.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=fXZiCsNUQygC&printsec=frontcover&dq=smart+thinking&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisobvasZLSAhWs6oMKHcUsDBQQ6AEIKTAB#v=onepage&q=smart%20thinking&f=false

·
Banned
844 Posts
I love my 3 spoke rims! similar to what are on the Roadsters in Europe. Sadly they are no longer available so I better not damage one. Seems like they do that with rims. They are all over and then they disappear. Sometimes you get lucky and find used ones but that can take a lot of waiting.

my 3 spoke rims. You can change the color on the spokes I have black, blue, yellow and red..They are 15 x 7 so I can use the same size tires all around. I also have the stock rims (laying in the foreground) this was when I got the new tires on the rims and put on the car.
i have the same wheels, except 15x6, got them on closeout for $75 a pop. and for about $6 i got MB centers to stick over the regular center caps :D

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm trying to work to a point where i can rotate tires. i was thinking of a 185/60x15 on all 4 corners.

to those of you who have the same size all the way around does the car feel more stable in cross winds? is there any reaaon not to put larger on front?

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
I know that the 195/50/15" tires work on 6.5" wide 15" wheels without rubbing at all. Some have used the 185/60s on this site and like the additional air between their rear and a pothole.
You were talking about 17" wheels earlier in this thread instead of 15s.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There is a massive posting about the added benefits of having all 4 tires the same on your car.The rims will have to also match as the stock rims have narrower rims on the front and wider rims on the back. Putting the wider rear rims on the front will not be a clearance problem, or set off your traction control as long as you go easy on the tire size. Handling and stability will be improved greatly. Read through this thread to get the whole picture;

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f409/you-member-i-can-rotate-my-tires-club-25415/

There is no reason to rewrite the whole thread here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i'm trying to work to a point where i can rotate tires. i was thinking of a 185/60x15 on all 4 corners.

to those of you who have the same size all the way around does the car feel more stable in cross winds? is there any reaaon not to put larger on front?
Hey wait a second, in your opening post you said, "if i were to put 17 inch wheels with say a 185/60 would there be any clearance issues up front".

Not 15".....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts